Club Sailplane Real-Time Tracking: PowerFlarm, ADSB-IN, ADAB-OUT or other?

Old February 3rd 19, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]

Default Club Sailplane Real-Time Tracking: PowerFlarm, ADSB-IN, ADAB-OUT or other?

Our club is considering equipping our ships, and the ground-based operations folks, with a real-time tracking technology, so that we on the ground will be aware of club sailplanes locations and status, in order that we can better anticipate and prepare for arrivals, and schedule launches. This could be particularly useful in the case where multiple student pilots are in the air and soaring locally. We soar from a location in a valley surrounded by mountains. Line of sight Radio communication is fine for sailplanes operating within the valley, but radio communications from locations outside of the valley are limited.

What tracking technology might be preferred in this case? We are concerned that any technology that requires radio communication from outside the valley, might not work well. Would that be the case for ADSB-IN equipped sailplanes? ADSB-OUT equipped sailplanes? PowerFlarm equipped sailplanes? Other options, DeLorme, SPOT?
Old February 3rd 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Through the efforts of Mike Abernathy, Mark Hawkins and the late Renny Rozzoni, the Albuquerque Soaring Club has installed several FlightAware receivers and a couple of OGN Trackers in and around the Estancia Valley (Moriarty Airport- 0E0). the FlightAware hardware is available from FlightAware at a very reasonable cost (and even for free, if the area is underserved by the FlightAware network).

FA tracks Mode C, Mode S and ADS-B. With several receivers and small computers sending the signals to FlightAware, we are seeing all transponder and ADS-B traffic in over a 200 mile radius. There is a 42 inch TV screen in the Moriarty Airport office that displays both the transponder and ADS-B contacts, giving ID, altitude, A/C type, speed and heading. Mode C and S positions are derived from "multilateralization" of signal strength received by three or more installed antennae.

The OGN trackers are similar in cost. (Under a few hundred dollars each, including antenna, mounts, cables, mini-computer, etc.) These receivers only pick up the signals produced by PowerFlarm and compatible third party transmitters. Contacts from the OGN network are displayed in a separate window on the big screen. Because the PowerFlarm signals are mush weaker, the range is very limited, but we seem to be able to pick up PowerFlarm equipped gliders fairly reliably out to 50 km or so. Adding additional units will spread the contact area. We hope to be able to cover about a 100 mile radius.

Each installation is funded by a club member. So far, Mike Abernathy, Mark Hawkins, Bill Hill and Mark Mocho have paid for installations of either FlightAware, OGN or both The most remote installation is 100 miles north at Taos.
Old February 3rd 19, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

An alternative that is basically free is the IGCdroid app, sending the track data to glideport.aero. But it has to run on people's cellphones, and they have to turn it on, so it's not reliably attached to the gliders. And it requires an Android phone. There is a similar iOS app although it's less flexible. Also this method requires at least occasional cellphone data access from the glider. Around here the coverage seems good enough.
Old February 3rd 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yesterday's flight out of Moriarty
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N995J.

--
Dan, 5J

Old February 3rd 19, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 11:03:06 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yesterday's
flight out of Moriarty.

FlightAware couldn't find flight tracking data for N995J just yet.
Please double-check the flight number/identifier.
Old February 3rd 19, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Oudie Live Bluetooths to my cell phone which sends data packets to your chosen website.

You have to remember to connect your phone. It also helps to have an extra battery for your phone.
Old February 3rd 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, 4 February 2019 03:08:45 UTC+13, Jeff wrote:
[...]

In mountainous areas radio comms are a problem. Transponder based tracking and ADSB need line of sight, just like your radio. Flarm based tracking uses low power radio, so lots of ground stations to work around mountains. Same for cell phone based tracking. Only going to work in an area with good cell coverage.

Spot and/or Delorme based tracking will work great, but will cost money. Not just initial purchase, but the service charges. Make sure every-one understands they will have a bill to pay regularly and that the system will stop if it doesn't get paid.

Phil Plane
User of Spot for tracking since the Spot 1 came out. Currently wishing for a new Delorme mini.
Old February 3rd 19, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yet another option is the off-the-shelf goTenna Mesh devices, coupled with the GliderLink app on a smartphone. This is designed so gliders in the air can "see" each other, but ground stations (same type of devices) can listen in. Cell service NOT required. Such ground stations could in principle send the data to OGN and/or glideport.aero.

There is no lack of options, the real problem is too many options, i.e., no standardization. The FlightAware devices may be the best thing *if* the gliders are equipped with ADS-B anyway. The OGN-trackers are good *if* the gliders are equipped with FLARM. Around here both are rare.
Old February 3rd 19, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It is correct.Â* It's my N-number and I just followed the link and it
works.Â* You might have to disable ad blocker on FlightAware and/or
create a free account.

Old February 3rd 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The terrain situation around Moriarty works in our favor.Â* We have an
ADS-B antenna on top of Sandia Mountain which is about 25 miles west of
our airport and a bit over 5,000' higher.Â* And the ADS-B coverage map is
pretty complete already.Â* I was told that my Flarm was picked up in the
valley before installing the ADS-B.