Throttle or Prop control first after takeoff

Old March 6th 09, 08:37 PM
cyberflyrg cyberflyrg is offline
Junior Member

Question Throttle or Prop control first after takeoff

We are having a argument about what is better to do after takeoff. Some mechanics say pull power back first after takeoff and then adjust prop speed after, my mechanic says prop speed back first and then manifold pressure after that.
What the "right" thing to do that will not damage the prop governor and motor??? You opinion is greatly appreciated..
PS: this is in reference to my 1965 210.

thanks rg
Old March 6th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Throttle or Prop control first after takeoff

On Mar 6, 11:37*am, cyberflyrg
wrote:
We are having a argument about what is better to do after takeoff. Some
mechanics say pull power back first after takeoff and then adjust prop
speed after, my mechanic says prop speed back first and then manifold
pressure after that.
What the "right" thing to do that will not damage the prop governor and
motor??? You opinion is greatly appreciated..
PS: this is in reference to my 1965 210.

Refer to your POH when in doubt. However, the rule of thumb most of us
fly under is that when reducing power you work left to right
(throttle, then prop, then mixture). When increasing power you work
the other way (mixture, prop, then throttle). This sequence ensures
you don't lug the engine. If your airframe POH or engine manual says
otherwise, go for it.

-Robert, CFII

Old March 6th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 03/06/09 12:48, Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:37�am, cyberflyrg
wrote:
We are having a argument about what is better to do after takeoff. Some
mechanics say pull power back first after takeoff and then adjust prop
speed after, my mechanic says prop speed back first and then manifold
pressure after that.
What the "right" thing to do that will not damage the prop governor and
motor??? You opinion is greatly appreciated..
PS: this is in reference to my 1965 210.

Refer to your POH when in doubt. However, the rule of thumb most of us
fly under is that when reducing power you work left to right
(throttle, then prop, then mixture). When increasing power you work
the other way (mixture, prop, then throttle). This sequence ensures
you don't lug the engine. If your airframe POH or engine manual says
otherwise, go for it.

-Robert, CFII

Yes but right after take off, don't people reduce the rpm just a bit
(to 2500 in the Archer I flew) to reduce noise?

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old March 6th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 6, 12:52*pm, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 03/06/09 12:48, Robert M. Gary wrote:

Yes but right after take off, don't people reduce the rpm just a bit
(to 2500 in the Archer I flew) to reduce noise?

I don't because I personally don't believe in touching power below
1000 feet. However, a lot of aircraft require a power reduction for
sustained climb or noise. For instance in the C-182T you pull power
and fuel flow back to the top of the green, etc. However, I still
don't touch anything below 1000 feet, even coming out of SMO in my
Mooney (where the noise nazi's live)

-Robert
Old March 6th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

cyberflyrg wrote:
We are having a argument about what is better to do after takeoff. Some
mechanics say pull power back first after takeoff and then adjust prop
speed after, my mechanic says prop speed back first and then manifold
pressure after that.
What the "right" thing to do that will not damage the prop governor and
motor??? You opinion is greatly appreciated..
PS: this is in reference to my 1965 210.

thanks rg

On my bonanza, I keep full throttle then pull back the prop as per the
manual. Keep the throttle in until I reach my enroute altitude.

Dave
Old March 7th 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

The Seneca II take off is 40in MP and full RPM for takeoff.
"Stabilized in the climb".. you pick when you think that is time to do that.
Reduce to "Climb Power" 30in MP and 2500RPM.
Cruise Power "as required" normally between 28-30in MP 2300-2400RPM and
about 13gph per side.

Some one already mentioned the take off procedure for the C-182T (Turbo).
Reduce the MP and the Fuel Flow to the Top of the Green.

Arrow, 25square works, MP first then Prop.

The thing about "older" POH, like your 1965 C-210.. they were not that
explict.

Dependent on the engine, some say keep RPM higher than MP, some don't.

Old March 7th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Danny Deger[_2_]

BT wrote:

The thing about "older" POH, like your 1965 C-210.. they were not that
explict.

The POH on my 1941 Taylorcraft doesn't say a thing about when to adjust
the prop :-)

Danny Deger
Old March 7th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mar 6, 7:31 pm, "BT" wrote:

The thing about "older" POH, like your 1965 C-210.. they were not that
explict.

Dependent on the engine, some say keep RPM higher than MP, some don't.

But moving the controls in the wrong order can put the engine
outside its operational limitations. For instance, if the POH allows
24" and 2200 RPM, that setting isn't within the old "square" rule-of-
thumb but it won't hurt the engine. Now, if you pull the prop back to
2200 with the throttle wide open, you're going to get may 25 or 26" MP
and 2200 RPM, well outside the limits set by the manufacturer. The
risk with large-bore, slow-turning engines is detonation, and the POH
tables are designed with avoiding detonation and the awesome damage it
causes.
So that's why we teach people to avoid high cylinder pressures
by reding MP first, then setting RPM. If increasing power, get the RPM
up first and then increase MP.
It's no different than upshifting or downshifting your car; you
don't just mash the throttle to the floor when you come to a steep
hill; you downshift first and then apply the power, and when you get
to the top of the hill you don't upshift until the car's speed is such
that the engine won't have to drop to some very low RPM when you let
the clutch out and apply the power again.
We older guys can remember a time when cars would "ping" or
"knock" when the engine was driven at a low RPM and too much throttle.
That was detonation and it would break rings and knock holes in
pistons and trash the bearings and sometimes heads and cylinder walls
would crack. It was considered very poor driving technique. Now we
have cars with computers and knock sensors and all sorts of electronic
wizardry that keeps the driver from breaking stuff, but it also dumbs
down young drivers and they can't grasp the RPM/MP thing quite so
easily. And automatic transmissions and ABS brakes have made driving
habits even worse, IMHO.

Dan
Old March 8th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

The POH on my 1941 Taylorcraft doesn't say a thing about when to adjust
the prop :-)

Yeah, there's nothing in my '48 Ercoupe's POH (er, "pamphlet") about that,
either. Nuthin' about flaps or rudders, either!

:-)

The Pathfinder we always work left-to-right, as someone else stated.
Throttle, prop, mixture.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 12th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 6, 7:31*pm, "BT" wrote:

Some one already mentioned the take off procedure for the C-182T (Turbo).
Reduce the MP and the Fuel Flow to the Top of the Green.

That is true but the C-182T is *not* turbo.

-Robert