PING: Aircraft Identification - 4 attachments

Old July 1st 07, 06:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Melchett@Haigs HQ.com

Default PING: Aircraft Identification - 4 attachments - k-7-2.jpg no it isn't!!

This is a CGI produced image of a project from Kalinin based on the K-
7 but about twice the size. Check out your Shavrov or Gunston Soviet
aircraft books.

Melchett
"I have a cunning plan"

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old May 24th 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

Default Aircraft Identification - 4 attachments

The aircraft appears to be Soviet and similar to

Designed by World War I aviator Konstantin Kalinin with a wingspan greater
than a B-52's and a much greater wing area, the K-7 was one of the biggest
aircraft built before the jet age. It was only one engine short of the B-52
as well, having the curious arrangement of six pulling on the wing leading
edge and one pushing at the rear.

The K-7's very brief first flight showed up instability and serious
vibration caused by the airframe resonating with the engine frequency. The
solution to this 'flutter' was thought to be to shorten and strengthen the
tail booms, little being known then about the natural frequencies of
structures and their response to vibration. On the 11th flight, during a
speed test, the port tailboom vibrated, fractured, jammed the elevator and
caused the giant aircraft to plough into the ground, killing 15.

Undaunted by this disaster, Kalinin's team began construction of two further
K-7s in a new factory, but the vicissitudes of Stalin's Russia saw the
project abandoned, and in 1938 the arrest and execution of Kalinin on
trumped up espionage and sabotage charges.

Seems they knew how to deal with their FEMA types.

"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalinin_k-7.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	11723
Old May 24th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ric[_2_]

Would it have been easier to just post the link ?
http://avia.russian.ee/air/russia/kalinin_k-7.php

Old May 24th 07, 08:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

I don't know, would it have? You may tell me since you are such a brilliant
techie. Us old folks just try do the best we can.

u...

Old May 24th 07, 02:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually
existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Mr Park is doing us all a favor by trying to make a post as complete as
possible. Besides, his comment about the FEMA types is delicious.
Ahhhh for the days of brick walls and machine guns with an inexhaustible
supplies of bullets. "To the Wall, Enemies of the People!".

Cheers,

Dave
Old May 25th 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Dohm

"Blondie" wrote in message
news Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually
existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very

detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Mr Park is doing us all a favor by trying to make a post as complete as
possible. Besides, his comment about the FEMA types is delicious.
Ahhhh for the days of brick walls and machine guns with an inexhaustible
supplies of bullets. "To the Wall, Enemies of the People!".

Cheers,

Dave

Yes. Most enjoyable.

Peter

Old May 24th 07, 03:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

Here is the photo of the Kalinin

Gene

"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalinin_k-7.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	11724
Old May 24th 07, 05:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
bob

Here's are links with more pictures and drawings of the K-7 including
pictures of the full-scale mockup.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww1/k7.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/k7.html

Old May 24th 07, 06:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

A very interesting article about the designer and his plane can be read
here...
www.wumag.kiev.ua/index2.php?param=pgs20041/92

Andrew

Old May 29th 07, 03:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Proton Fox

--

"Renaissance that was executed by firing squads"...

Thanks

--

"The conservative knows that to regard man as a part of an undifferentiated
mass is to consign him to ultimate slavery." Eddie Rickenbacker

Old Warbird For Sale - 2 attachments Clem Aviation Photos 4 December 27th 06 02:21 AM
DOUGLAS F3D SKYNIGHT HELP - 2 attachments (1/2) Jim John Aviation Photos 5 November 14th 06 01:41 AM
Ping Sport Pilot Barbra Olson Story Debunked! Proof Cellphones Work in Aircraft. Sport Pilot Piloting 0 January 21st 05 07:05 PM