Why does the shuttle throttle on ascent?

Old January 7th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

Default Why does the shuttle throttle on ascent?

Why does the shuttle throttle to 3 Gs on ascent?

Danny Deger

Old January 7th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Mxsmanic

Danny Deger writes:

Why does the shuttle throttle to 3 Gs on ascent?

The real Shuttle throttles back during ascent at a certain point in
order to reduce aerodynamic stresses as it rises through the
atmosphere.

Old January 7th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Darkwing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Danny Deger writes:

Why does the shuttle throttle to 3 Gs on ascent?

The real Shuttle snip

As opposed to your world of simulation.

-------------------------------------
DW

Old January 8th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Mxsmanic

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com writes:

As opposed to your world of simulation.

I don't simulate the Shuttle, but I know that some people do.

Old January 7th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Ron Natalie

Danny Deger wrote:
Why does the shuttle throttle to 3 Gs on ascent?

I don't know about G's but the shuttle adjust the engine thrust
up and down at various times in the launch based on the dynamic
pressures involved.
Old January 7th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
John T

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

I don't know about G's but the shuttle adjust the engine thrust
up and down at various times in the launch based on the dynamic
pressures involved.

"'Go' for throttle up."

My generation's equivalent of "Where were you when Kennedy got shot?"

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old January 7th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

John T wrote:
"'Go' for throttle up."

My generation's equivalent of "Where were you when Kennedy got shot?"

I'm old enough to answer both those questions.

Pat
Old January 8th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Skywise

"John T" wrote in news:45a06154$0$28077
:

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

I don't know about G's but the shuttle adjust the engine thrust
up and down at various times in the launch based on the dynamic
pressures involved.

"'Go' for throttle up."

My generation's equivalent of "Where were you when Kennedy got shot?"

That, and now "Columbia, Houston. UHF comm check."

Got chills just typing that.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old January 8th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Skywise wrote:
That, and now "Columbia, Houston. UHF comm check."

Got chills just typing that.

Though it all happened so fast that it didn't sink in at the time, when
reading the transcripts the spooky part is when the temperature sensors
start climbing, then failing.

Pat
Old January 8th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Skywise

Pat Flannery wrote in news:12q559nm7crqq10
@corp.supernews.com:

Skywise wrote:
That, and now "Columbia, Houston. UHF comm check."

Got chills just typing that.

Though it all happened so fast that it didn't sink in at the time, when
reading the transcripts the spooky part is when the temperature sensors
start climbing, then failing.

Pat

Although there was little chance of it, this was the first reentry
that I attempted to observe. If I could see it, it would have been
about 10 degrees off my northern horizon from here in the LA area.
Mountains and haze made it a long shot. But I got up anyway and had
NASA TV streaming to my computer.

I didn't see a thing so I just listened to the live feed. I wasn't
paying real close attention until I kept hearing that call for
comm check repeated. At first it didn't seem too serious. But when
I heard them ask when they expected tracking at Merritt Island
and they said "one minute ago" I got concerned. That's when I
turned on CNN.

Touchdown time came and went.

I'm thinkig, heck, maybe they had a problem and bailed out somewhere.
Maybe they had to use that new fangled escape chute thingy. Perhaps
they're in the Gulf of Mexico waiting for rescue. Or crash landed
somewhere else.

Then there was that first report of multiple trails seen over Texas
and I knew it was over, that there was no hope. That's when it really
hit me.