Bungee launching - why isn't it more popular - especially in the US Midwest?

Old October 29th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Bungee launching - why isn't it more popular - especially in theUS Midwest?

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 6:25:38 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Hilarious.

http://youtu.be/TAryFIuRxmQ

I can see it's going to be a long, painful winter on RAS...
Old October 29th 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Twit...go here

https://youtu.be/_iuRQOnzDdc

sorry.

Old October 29th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 29 October 2015 11:05:23 UTC-6, Jim White wrote:
Twit...go here

https://youtu.be/_iuRQOnzDdc

sorry.

Another way to launch https://youtu.be/b_EjsgLXdb8?list=PLAAF96767897FAF7C
Old October 29th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Auto, winch, gravity - all in one vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOe6ljFkycE

Probably the worlds slowest glider winch, though ;^)

Kirk
66
Old October 30th 15, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 7:09:42 PM UTC, kirk.stant wrote:
Auto, winch, gravity - all in one vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOe6ljFkycE

Probably the worlds slowest glider winch, though ;^)

Kirk
66

These are proper Bungee starts

https://youtu.be/Ukm8c47UoZA
Old November 2nd 15, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Serious question. What are the chances of getting Bungee Launch training and endorsement at IVSM 2016 at Harris Hill next summer?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...1553 29571548

I think that bungee launch might capture the imagination of Juniors and of course they could provide the 'run downhill human power'.
Old November 2nd 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:05:03 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Serious question. What are the chances of getting Bungee Launch training and endorsement at IVSM 2016 at Harris Hill next summer?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...1553 29571548

I think that bungee launch might capture the imagination of Juniors and of course they could provide the 'run downhill human power'.

The geometry of the site at HH is not suitable for bungee launches unless one wants to crash in the scenic overlook.
UH
Old November 2nd 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:19:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The geometry of the site at HH is not suitable for bungee launches unless one wants to crash in the scenic overlook.

I was hoping that a bungee launch would clear the scenic overlook and put you 700 feet above the valley floor.

Old November 2nd 15, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:57:35 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:19:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The geometry of the site at HH is not suitable for bungee launches unless one wants to crash in the scenic overlook.

I was hoping that a bungee launch would clear the scenic overlook and put you 700 feet above the valley floor.

Thanksgiving weekend, downwind take-off (towards the valley), 1-26 behind a Pacer........ we were mid valley before the "cheering crowd" saw us visible again above the trees blocking their view.
Many years ago, there was a metal post near the brow of the hill @HHSC, it had a pulley for auto tows........ I never saw it used.
Frankly, (regardless of what I've done in the past), not quite sure I would do a bungee launch from there...... even in a very light sailplane.....

Ask Corky, Heinz (either one), Tim Welles, Dave Welles, etc. to see if they remember a bungee launch off HHSC.
Old November 3rd 15, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Smith[_3_]

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 6:47:32 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
[...]

I vaguely remember watching an attempted bungee launch on Harris Hill during the 1946 Nats (I was 8 years old). It did not go well & the pilot was injured.That same year there were demonstrations of troop glider snatch pickups by C-47s. Contest launches in 1946 were by winch, the last time winches were used in U.S. national contests. In earlier Elmira contests before HH was developed, bungee launches were made from the Rhodes Farm, South Mountain, East Hill & a couple of other locations.