A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Advertising for tow pilots

Old September 28th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default Advertising for tow pilots

A slightly different perspective:

We (SLSA) seem to have no problem finding tailwheel-endorsed pilots, and all but two of our 14-odd (no pun intended!) tow pilots are also glider pilots. We have 2 Pawnees and a 180 Supercub, as well as a Cessna 120 for tailwheel checkouts and plain old fun flying (at $50/hr wet...).

We own our grass glider field and pride ouselves on being a tailwheel-friendly airport - to the point of joking about charging a landing fee to any nose-dragger that drops in (unless he can land backwards...) - as we also have a privately owned J-3, RV-6, and Pacer based on the field, with a J-4 being rebuilt as a winter project; recent visitors include a Stearman, Pitts S-1C, Champ, Decathelon, a tricked out Supercub, and a turbine Air Tractor that stopped in one morning low on fuel. We almost put a tow hook on him!

Personally, if a pilot can't make the effort to get his tailwheel and high-power endorsement, along with a glider rating, I'm not sure we want him towing for us! Our tow pilots are not building time, or getting any pay or breaks in club fees - they do it for the fun of it. And we like it that way.

Tow with a 182? Why bother! Real airplanes have sticks and the small wheel at the back!

Cheers,

Kirk
Happy Pawnee driver...
Old November 4th 15, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Advertising for tow pilots

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 8:38:06 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
but to get them to fly gliders is the goal. All the C182s I've seen towing cannot perform the same as the Pawnee.

Awww Bill.
You're busting my chops. ;-)

I kept my place in rotation (due to traffic density) usually,
but I lapped a few Pawnees while towing with my C-182 at Tonopah Nationals a decade ago. The only one I couldn't beat was the Brave (375 hp to my 230).
It has to do with being aware, and fluent, and using lift
and sink productively, which is why we all like tuggies that soar.
We were never abusive to the airplane. They cost too much to fix....

There is a reason Cal City, Marfa, Ephrata, Sunflower and many others have used
the C-182s for a few decades. Dual uses, training initial tug drivers, recurrent tug training, larger insurable pilot pool at lower initial qualification expense, durable in outside parking.

and to recruiting new tug pilots .... respect to the original poster...
try talking to folks at the closer aeronautical engineering training outlets. These young folks might be willing to make a commitment -- for an entre into the real work of aviation.

And - respect those folks on the front end. Engage them in the business of teaching - signals, review of signal performance with the students. It keeps everyone sharper and ready to communicate when it becomes urgent.

Cindy B