A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Weight & Bal Calc ASK-21

Old October 29th 15, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Default Weight & Bal Calc ASK-21

Since this thread appeared, I contacted Matt Herron about phone apps. Getting the feeling it's not going to happen.
However, I downloaded the Appventive Weight + Balance app for Android and it works well. Will contact the developer with a couple of questions, primarily wanting to increase resolution an order of magnitude.
It's $10, and can be with you when you're adding a passenger, water ballast, etc. I move the fuel tanks, rename them and use weight as the input for water ballast.
Will also try Matt's SeeG program. The Jonker Sailplanes spreadsheet for the JS1 is the best I've used so far, wish all manufacturers had something like that to download. But spreadsheets aren't great on a smart phone.
Jim
Old November 1st 15, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox
external usenet poster

I found these pages from the manual which are much clearer and, easy to print graph.

http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/w...TM35_US_HB.pdf

Question for anyone:

How does one calculate or develop what I've seen called (Wedge), (Level Line), (Incidence Board)?
To ensure the fuselage is level, and in this case for the ASK-21 is 1000:52. And also in this case there is no reference of exact placement. Wouldn't it change the level if the board is more forward or more to the rear?
Old November 1st 15, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 7:21:27 AM UTC-5, Casey Cox wrote:
I found these pages from the manual which are much clearer and, easy to print graph.

Question for anyone:

How does one calculate or develop what I've seen called (Wedge), (Level Line), (Incidence Board)?
To ensure the fuselage is level, and in this case for the ASK-21 is 1000:52. And also in this case there is no reference of exact placement. Wouldn't it change the level if the board is more forward or more to the rear?

If you generally follow the diagram it ends up on the straight taper of the tail boom which is pretty long and non critical.
Measure the length of your level, multiply by .052, and make a spacer that dimension.
QED
UH
Old November 1st 15, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox
external usenet poster

Question for anyone:

Here is wording in another manual;
The horizontal reference line is the centre line of the fuselage tail cone or a 1000 : 45 wedge template levelled out on the top side of the fuselage aft portion
Old November 1st 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox
external usenet poster

If you generally follow the diagram it ends up on the straight taper of the tail boom which is pretty long and non critical.
Measure the length of your level, multiply by .052, and make a spacer that dimension.
QED
UH

Ok, thats sounds simple enough. I've never actually performed a W/B with an incidence board, but thought that the location would be more critical than you mentioned due to it seems fuselage booms taper slight at first and increases towards tail. Just a general observance though and never really measured or compared.

Thanks.
Old November 1st 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 6:22:23 AM UTC-7, Casey Cox wrote:

Question for anyone:

The horizontal reference line is the centre line of the fuselage tail cone or a 1000 : 45 wedge template levelled out on the top side of the fuselage aft portion

It is always easier to use a professional to weigh your glider. However, per my owner's manual, I did the math (1000:45/2) on a 50" piece of 2 x 4, cut the smaller piece (approx. 2.25 in) and duct taped it at a right angle. I then took the glider and my assy to our local A&P. He had a fancy digital incidence scale in addition to good aircraft weight scales. Although we went with his methodology, I was happy to see me homemade incidence taper was dead on. Design with a supercomputer, measure with a micrometer, cut with a sawzall...
Cheers
Gene
Old November 1st 15, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Or, as we said in the Air Farce: Measure with a micrometer, mark with a
grease pencil, cut with an axe. I don't think we had supercomputers
back then...

On 11/1/2015 7:35 AM, GeneReinecke wrote:
On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 6:22:23 AM UTC-7, Casey Cox wrote:

Question for anyone:

It is always easier to use a professional to weigh your glider. However, per my owner's manual, I did the math (1000:45/2) on a 50" piece of 2 x 4, cut the smaller piece (approx. 2.25 in) and duct taped it at a right angle. I then took the glider and my assy to our local A&P. He had a fancy digital incidence scale in addition to good aircraft weight scales. Although we went with his methodology, I was happy to see me homemade incidence taper was dead on. Design with a supercomputer, measure with a micrometer, cut with a sawzall...
Cheers
Gene

--
Dan, 5J

Old November 1st 15, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox
external usenet poster

I just found one specific glider manual stating 1000:40 with 300 mm in front of vertical stabilizer. Either it makes some difference in this specific glider or the manufacture is more precise.

Casey