Alternative magnetic compass

Old October 28th 15, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Alternative magnetic compass

A sailplane's Flight Manual usually requires a magnetic compass (or an aviation compass)as minimum equipment. Well, panel space has become less available and you are seeing fewer sailplanes with panel or glare-shield mounted 2.25 Airpath C2xxx or PAI-700 aircraft specific compasses.

Anyone have a "point" to an off panel compass that might meet FAA scrunity? Unfortunately the Cook compass manufactured by COBB-SLATER Instruments Co. Ltd is no longer available. http://compassmuseum.com/aero/aero.htm#COOK

Probably, a magnetic compass is the last instrument used by a competition pilot. Most competition sailplanes have 3 or more separate GPS engines and it is very simple to have them on independent battery sources. What would be the "penalty" if your sailplane failed a FAA "courtesy" ramp inspection because it lacked a magnetic compass?

Does a F-35 Lighting II joint strike fighter has a magnetic compass?
Old October 28th 15, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

A poor showing during a ramp inspection (we're not happy until you're
not happy) would likely result in your aircraft being grounded until you
show compliance.

I'll bet the F-35 has a "whiskey" compass and I'll further wager that
the flight manual says something along the lines of, "Flying by use of
the magnetic compass is an emergency procedure." At least that's the
way it was back in the '70s.

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 28th 15, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

If you're glider is registered as EXP, look for a PZL compass. Might fit in an odd "corner" of the panel.
Jim
Old October 28th 15, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I sell a TSO'd compass that is similar to the PZL compass. The SIRS Navigator.

You can find it he
http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/...uments/compass

Also have the standard Airpath and a panel mount SIRS compass as well. The Navigator is nice as a glareshield mount because it is smaller than the Airpath.

Typical mount in a glider involves removing the mounting arm and top plate from the compass and then screwing the compass to the instrument panel glareshield at the bottom. There is a slide on slide off "foot" at the bottom of the compas. This reduces the height of the unit by about 1/2 inch.

Dave Springford
www.foxonecorp.com

Old October 29th 15, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

In the US you might check your glider Type Data Certificate. The Libelle H301 does not require a compass unless you are intending to do cloud flying, which is, of course, not permitted in the US contests. (However it is still possible to have a glider certificate with instrument privileges, but I haven't figured out how to take the test!)

Mike
Old October 29th 15, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Oops, I stand corrected, the TCDS for the Libelle requires a compass, HOWEVER, the pilot manual says that the compass is only required for cloud flying.
Old October 29th 15, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sometimes the TCDS or AFM specify a certain make or model of compass so be sure to check that. In some cases those specs have been altered by a subsequent TN from the manufacturer giving guidance to the installation of additional equipment to allow for the possibility that the originally specified equipment may no longer be available (Schleicher for one has done this). God knows why but the manual for my ASW-15 says that if the compass cannot be corrected to within acceptable limits when installed in the panel, it can be installed on the cockpit sidewall. In Canada, flight rules require a magnetic compass even if the TCDS and manual AND airworthiness requirements for pure glider don't. The regulatory requirement is the only reason I have one in my ship and it would be the same even if GPS had never been invented. Where I fly the compass is useless.

I'm sure the F35 has a magnetic compass. Odds are it costs $250,000, was designed to do triple duty as magnetic direction indicator, disco ball and contractor cash flow enhancer and averages twelve hours maintenance for every hour in the air.
Old October 29th 15, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 5:32:51 PM UTC+3, wrote:
[...]

I've seen a glider with the compass mounted in the upper inside part of the leg well.
Old October 29th 15, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good point...most flight manuals do not stipulate WHERE the compass needs to be mounted.

Thanks F1 for the point to the SIRS Navigator. A good PZL KI-13A compass is almost impossible to locate.

Old October 29th 15, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

wrote:

[...]

I wonder how many sailplanes have the required magnetic deviation card for their required compass.