Alternative magnetic compass

Old October 29th 15, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Alternative magnetic compass

Did find a magnetic compass in the F-16. All gliders I know of do require a compass so for now I will have one. Tried to get by with a stick on compass that I bought at Auto Zone, but that did not fly (so to speak) with the examiner, so I had to install a glare shield compass.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-all-of...ets-cockpit-do
Old October 29th 15, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 3:23:24 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Did find a magnetic compass in the F-16. All gliders I know of do require a compass so for now I will have one. Tried to get by with a stick on compass that I bought at Auto Zone, but that did not fly (so to speak) with the examiner, so I had to install a glare shield compass.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-all-of...ets-cockpit-do

Let's see now...Hmmm....Forgetting the excellent capabilities of my LX9000, PowerFlarm, and Flarmview, does my Pathfinder watch, which really has an outstanding compass "count?" How about the compass in my Delorme inReach Explorer? It has a digital compass? Now, what year is this? Is it 1947? 1952? Geezzz...Now, please excuse me..I am trying to see if I have room in my glider for my new sextant....(available right now on the Home Shopping Network.....Stock is limited, so do not delay!).... ;-)
Old October 29th 15, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 4:15:07 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
Canadian Regulation Gliders -- Day VFR

605.21 No person shall operate a glider in
day VFR flight unless it is equipped with
(a) an altimeter;
(b) an airspeed indicator;
(c) a magnetic compass or a magnetic
direction indicator; and...

There's a few varios with that capability.

A computer with moving map that shows
magnetic bearing should also satisfy this
reg.

The chance that a Transport Canada
inspector would make a fuss over a
single seater without a compass is close
to zilch, but the guy who signs your
annual needs some coverage.

"There's a few varios with that capability." Most interesting point...so if you have an LX80XX or LX90XX you could add the LX Magnetic compass module (expensive) and meet the Flight Manual requirement. http://www.lxnav.com/accessories/compass.html

What other varios?
Old October 29th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

My bird has a Butterfly and Lx 90XX with compass option, but I was still require to have a manual compass.

Old October 30th 15, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When you guys get finished counting up your electronics with triple redundant power supplies, keep in mind that you still have a single point of failu the GPS satellite system. I realize I'm ignoring phones that use the cell towers to triangulate your position but none of the whizzy soaring-specific gadgets have that capability, to my knowledge.

I've used a magnetic compass a LOT in nearly 3,000 hours of glider flying. Before GPS it was indispensable. I still refer to it occasionally for quick reciprocals (it's a vertical card). And it's nice to know that with it and my paper chart (yeah, how quaint), I could still get home. Of course, forget getting credit for the flight since the logger is worthless if the GPS system is taken down. Oh, well. It sits way forward on the glare shield and doesn't get in the way so that's where it will stay.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old October 30th 15, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The *******s at China Lake like to test their GPS jammers, and test them again and again. I keep this site bookmarked:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/gps/g...terference.pdf

Good thing there's always "look out the window dot com".
On one of my favorite hang glider flights both the radio and vario died before launch. Super low tech.
Jim
Old October 30th 15, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 5:32:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

A compass might be useful for navigation in the trackless flatlands, but out west the 12 - 13K mountains actually make better reference points even if you can't see the sun. And are pretty immune from GPS interference. Now if the Big Earthquake comes, sinking the mountains into the sea, on a cloudy day, during a GPS jamming session, maybe I'll be looking at the compass. But even then it'll be the electronic one. If the poles happen to pick that day to reverse, then we'll all be in trouble.
Old October 30th 15, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

The GPS system isn't a single point of failure, there are currently two fully operational systems, soon to be 3 and in a while longer 4.
Old October 30th 15, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Plus the iPhone/iPad uses GPS and GLONASS. The current GPS systems always have multiple satellites locked in. Virtually all my flying is in the mountains and with the paper maps, I can visualize where I am by comparing the topo features with the map, thus getting primary headings.

As for reciprocals, plus 2 minus 2, or or the reciprocal works for most headings. i.e., 180 +2 - 2 is 360. Doesn't work for every heading but works for most. 270 -2 + 2 is 90. The result must make sense, but I have used this method most of my flying career.

I do agree, the vertical card compass is the most useful in aviation.