Bungee launching - why isn't it more popular - especially in the US Midwest?

Old October 28th 15, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Bungee launching - why isn't it more popular - especially in the US Midwest?

In the spirit of lively RAS discussions, I submit that the US gliding community needs to switch to hillside bungee launching - the benefits would be immense!

1. Launches would be essentially free (except for some sweat equity - but most US glider pilots could use the exercise...)

2. Good for the environment (except for some extra CO2 from the sweaty bungee crew).

3. It would provide an instant "shovel ready" infrastructure project - building all those hills next to flatland gliderports.

4. It would have a beneficial impact on the health of glider club members.

5. It would let more glider pilots share the fun of soaring, since the average flight time would be measured in single digit minutes, allowing greater use of club gliders.

6. Low altitude thermalling skills would be hugely improved!

I'm off to find a nice long bungee cord, our club's K13 already has the bungee nose hook installed! All I need now is a hill...

Kirk
66

(PS: Greased-board launches off a cliff are overlooked, too!)
Old October 28th 15, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:56:18 AM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
[...]

Kirk, leave it to us Chicagoans to provide an answer to your plight. Here in the burbs we have a former trash dump that has grown to about 300' over the years it was in use. Was then transformed into a methane producing enclosed heap with a power station at the base. There's your launch mountain, man! Nevermind that it's under the B-airspace, who cares.
41° 43.810' N 88° 4.925' W
I like your brilliant proposal, btw. The RC boys from oll over Chicagoland already use this thing for ridge soaring. To add to your well-made arguments: why not combine the immensely popular car-towing with a long bungee cord???!!!
Herb, J7
Old October 28th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 16:47 28 October 2015, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:56:18 AM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
In the spirit of lively RAS discussions, I submit that the US gliding

com=
munity needs to switch to hillside bungee launching - the benefits would
be=
immense!
=20
1. Launches would be essentially free (except for some sweat equity -

but=
most US glider pilots could use the exercise...)
=20
2. Good for the environment (except for some extra CO2 from the sweaty

bu=
ngee crew).
=20
3. It would provide an instant "shovel ready" infrastructure project -

bu=
ilding all those hills next to flatland gliderports.=20
=20
4. It would have a beneficial impact on the health of glider club

members=
..
=20

=
in the burbs we have a former trash dump that has grown to about 300'

over
=
the years it was in use. Was then transformed into a methane producing
encl=
osed heap with a power station at the base. There's your launch mountain,
m=
an! Nevermind that it's under the B-airspace, who cares.
41=B0 43.810' N 88=B0 4.925' W
I like your brilliant proposal, btw. The RC boys from oll over

Chicagoland
=
already use this thing for ridge soaring. To add to your well-made
argument=
s: why not combine the immensely popular car-towing with a long bungee
cord=
???!!!
Herb, J7

Ah yes, Auto-Bunjy, done that.

Bungying is not free, 'cos of the cost and life of a Bungee.
(How many correct ways of spelling Bungy are there?)

Try contacting
http://www.vintagegliderclub.org/ there is almost certain to
be lots of info on this classic launch method.

Old October 28th 15, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 11:47:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Herb, great idea! We have a perfect landfill site here at perfect for a bungee launch with the option of landing at the racetrack (or getting away by the thermal from those dragsters and NASCAR racers), or landing on I-70 and Auto-towing back up to the bungee launch site! Awesome!

For the ultimate, use a car to tow a winch with a bungee attached at the end - you might have to disable the back-release, but think of the fun at the top of the launch!

Kirk
66
Old October 28th 15, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 11:56:18 AM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
[...]

Why not bungee launch in front of a windmill farm (in the US)?, then you could dynamic soar from the tip vortexes from the blades.
Then, they're (the windmills) are not a total hazard, but sorta useful for something else?!?!?

/sarcasm........ ;-)

[I can appreciate why this thread started......]

Geez..... I can see the Fonz wanting to auto-launch in front of the Miami skyline so he can get a day of flying in........
Old October 29th 15, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 9:56:18 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
[...]

Boone, Iowa would be my pick.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 29th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Hilarious.

http://youtu.be/TAryFIuRxmQ
Old October 29th 15, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 8:25:38 PM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
Hilarious.

http://youtu.be/TAryFIuRxmQ

Better slow clap than no clap, Sean.
Old October 29th 15, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

I figured it was only a matter of time before you guys gave each other the clap...

Boggs
Old October 29th 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Best of all

http://youtu.be/TAryFIuRxmQ