foam for wing wheel

Old October 28th 15, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Mittell

Default foam for wing wheel

I am looking for a source for foam to refurbish my wing wheel

Old October 28th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 5:00:10 PM UTC-6, John Mittell wrote:
I am looking for a source for foam to refurbish my wing wheel

The below link might be of interest. . Some of us have gone to this style as the wheel is solid....no more flats. Worked as a replacement for my 29 wing wheel. Also added a large, several liter, Pepsi bottle filled with water.. Helps in keeping that wing down.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...5?cm_vc=-10005

Best, #711.
Old October 29th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

www.thefoamfactory.com
Old October 29th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

www.thefoamfactory.com
Old October 29th 15, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://www.nacomposites.com/pages/products.asp

Look under Core Materials and Polyurethane Foams.
Old October 29th 15, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Il giorno giovedě 29 ottobre 2015 00:00:10 UTC+1, John Mittell ha scritto:
I am looking for a source for foam to refurbish my wing wheel

I used this for my One Man Rigging Aid:

search on rsonline for "Black Neoprene Rubber Sheets"

Carlo
Old October 29th 15, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Had I not just bought a new inner tube filled with slime at Wally World
for about $9 (guaranteed for two years! (we'll see about that)), I'd buy
the solid tire at Tractor Supply. For a few extra dollars I wouldn't
mess with the tedium and/or mess associated with filling a tire with
junk. Unless, maybe, I can find a gallon or so of mercury. That would
make a fine outrigger wheel!

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 29th 15, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another source for all kinds of foam, plastic, and rubber products is Canal Rubber in Manhattan. I haven't been there in a long time but it was fun to wander around in their storefront checking out all the stuff I didn't even know existed for ideas. If you're ever in New York City, it's worth a trip.. They're on, obviously, Canal Street and have a Web site. I don't see the black, closed-cell polyurethane foam I used for my one-man riggers but I'm sure they have it if you call. I have no idea if pricing is competitive but for me, the chance to examine everything in person was worth it.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old October 30th 15, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

As far as material for recovering a wing wheel, here are some things to consider:

Open cell foam: Generally deteriorates in sunlight, dries out and traps dirt and grit. Cheap, easy to replace and if maintained, a reasonable solution..

Closed cell foam: UV deterioration and similar drying out as open cell foam, but less susceptible to trapping grit.

Neoprene: Drying and UV can cause it to crumble after a while. I have also seen a few instances of black stains appearing on wings when it gets wet. The best stuff I worked with was 6 mm wetsuit neoprene that is fabric lined on both sides. Downside is that it looks great for a year or two and then fades and starts to deteriorate.

Regular carpet: Cheap and relatively good overall, but can be difficult to work with, as the woven backing is fairly stiff. Indoor carpet can be washed, but will mildew if not allowed to dry properly. Attracts dirt and stickers.

Outdoor/Marine Carpet: Designed for UV resistance and weathering. Short nap is less susceptible to catching dirt and is washable. Ridged, rubber backing holds up pretty well. Use Liquid Nails or other construction adhesive to attach. On the downside, it tends to unravel unless the edges are heat sealed. Disclaimer: This is what I use on the wing wheels I build (over 200 so far- see www.mmfabrication.com)

Wool felt: Probably the best, but many types are available. Get something flexible enough to wrap around the edges of the cuff. Some types are too stiff. More expensive. Doesn't trap dirt as much as carpet, but needs to be vacuumed occasionally.

I am contemplating changing over to felt due to the hassles of heat sealing and trimming the edges of marine carpet.

Hope this helps.

Youth soaring program looking for wing wheel for large-chord wing Jay[_2_] Soaring 1 September 17th 14 02:44 AM
FS - IMI Wing Wheel slbair Soaring 0 September 17th 13 04:27 PM
Tips for gluing new foam into wing dolly Whiskey Delta Soaring 13 April 14th 12 07:25 AM
Tow-Out Wing Wheel [email protected] Soaring 0 July 13th 06 11:49 PM
blue foam, pink foam, yellow foam? Corrie Home Built 26 September 1st 03 05:01 PM