second PowerFlarm antenna

Old November 2nd 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default second PowerFlarm antenna

Trimming is key to having a nice, finished edge. I would prefer
Bumper's silicone gasket except I don't think you could get a really
smooth look.

Years back I sealed the canopy of my LS-6a using white silicone. As
Bumper suggested, I protected the fuselage surface with plastic wrap
taped in place, slathered the silicon on, locked the canopy, and went
away until the next day. It was a simple process next day to use a
razor blade and follow the contour of the fuselage for a perfect gasket
seal.

On 11/2/2015 8:12 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 7:11:23 PM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 12:17:07 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Can anyone tell me, how big of an impact antenna-receiver mismatch has? What if I use a European antenna in an US PowerFlarm (868 Mhz vs. required 916 Mhz).
Thank you in advance, Andrzej

Benedict is correct. No silicone caulk would be in contact with the glider before it is cured.

It would also be possible to "drape" cling wrap over the antenna itself, with only the two screw threads penetrating the plastic to mount the antenna - pull the wrap up snug and tape around the blade. Then the silicon will be applied between the antenna and fuselage (actually though, between the two layers of cling wrap, so not touching the glider. When cured, remove antenna and you have a nice form fitting silicone gasket.

I'm aware of the issue with regular RTV's acetic acid, being an old ex-Navy ET. Shouldn't be an issue with the RTV silicone used in the manner I described. Also aware of the supposed need to keep silicone in polishes away from glider finish, but that's another whole discussion that, after talking to Larry Mansberger years ago, I no longer worry about silicones in polish. Larry dismissed it out of hand, said he solvent cleans the surfaces prior to repair in any case and it was not an issue.

I purchased white A&B white epoxy putty to make my "gasket". It was Don, who makes the antennas, who suggested silicone would be easier. See:

http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Epoxy.../dp/B0030CT6XM

bumper

Quicker and easier method is to wax the fuselage surface, mix up a small portion of aerodynamic fairing compound (body filler)squeeze the whole thing into place for a few minutes, remove and knife trim filler to shape. For the fastideous, white hardener is available.
Yes- you do need to protect threads and stuff.
UH

--
Dan, 5J