Who Wouldn't You Fly With?

Old July 11th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default Who Wouldn't You Fly With?

After one spooky experience several years ago, I am very discriminating
about who I'll fly with.

First, I have to know a pilot well enough to form an opinion about his/her
abilities as a pilot and about the owner's mechanical aptitude and
ability/will to properly maintain the aircraft.

Second, I won't fly with someone if I have a prejudice against the aircraft
they fly. Homebuilt helicopters come to mind.

Third, regardless of the other two checks and balances, the airplane must
appear to be in good condition and have enough recent usage to give some
indication that it is safe for flight.

If I'm not sure about any of the issues, I'll either try to "qualify"
someone or politely decline the offer of a ride. For instance, if someone I
know offers a ride in his beautiful new Stearman restoration, my question
will be... "So how many hours does it have since the ground up restoration?"
Under 25 hours and I'll politely take a rain check.

If John Travolta pulls up in his 707 and asks me to sit right seat. Thanks,
but no. I'd love to go, but don't know enough about him or his airplane to
be comfortable.

What are your criteria and what, if any, flights have you bypassed?

KB

Old July 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

After one spooky experience several years ago, I am very discriminating
about who I'll fly with.

First, I have to know a pilot well enough to form an opinion about his/her
abilities as a pilot and about the owner's mechanical aptitude and
ability/will to properly maintain the aircraft.

Yep.

Second, I won't fly with someone if I have a prejudice against the aircraft
they fly. Homebuilt helicopters come to mind.

Well, yeah: if you want me to take a ride in your Questair Venture, I might
demur.

Third, regardless of the other two checks and balances, the airplane must
appear to be in good condition and have enough recent usage to give some
indication that it is safe for flight.

Yep. Visible airframe corrosion? Rotted tires? Rusty water in the fuel
samples? Uh...no thanks.

If I'm not sure about any of the issues, I'll either try to "qualify"
someone or politely decline the offer of a ride. For instance, if someone I
know offers a ride in his beautiful new Stearman restoration, my question
will be... "So how many hours does it have since the ground up restoration?"
Under 25 hours and I'll politely take a rain check.

If John Travolta pulls up in his 707 and asks me to sit right seat. Thanks,
but no. I'd love to go, but don't know enough about him or his airplane to
be comfortable.

I *do* know enough about him. Anyone belonging to a wacko religious cult is
on my "no go" list.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old July 11th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kyle Boatright wrote:
[...]

So far, only one with a guy who's nickname was "Crash".

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 11th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

wrote:
What are your criteria and what, if any, flights have you bypassed?

KB

So far, only one with a guy who's nickname was "Crash".

Or "Zoom."

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old July 11th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Kyle Boatright wrote:
[...]

I've never had a real problem with this really. Being an instructor at
heart any time I'm in the air or on the ground around pilots, the
situation with me is either an understood student/instructor
relationship up front as would be the case in a dual session, or if I'm
getting ready to fly with a pilot I've not met before for some reason,
I'll usually know from the way the preflight is handled whether or not
I want to fly with that pilot.
I can't envision a situation where I would have talked with a pilot
before a flight, or at best watched him/her preflight the airplane where
I would be in that aircraft as a passenger with a pilot I didn't trust.
Dudley Henriques
Old July 11th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

If you can fly it from the right seat I will go.
I would love to fly right seat with John.
The only way I wont go is if the weather is bad.
. ..

Old July 11th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim

Actually, if John Travolta asked you to fly with him, I think you'd have to
sit left seat. I'm pretty sure that, at present, he's only qualified to be
SIC in the 707.

Martha

Old July 11th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim" wrote in message
Actually, if John Travolta asked you to fly with him, I think you'd have to
sit left seat. I'm pretty sure that, at present, he's only qualified to be
SIC in the 707.

Correct, plus the fact that the 707 is a two "qualified" pilot plane.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 11th 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Dan Luke" wrote)
Anyone belonging to a wacko religious cult is on my "no go" list.

Are we speaking aviation or the L.Ron Hubbard thing? :-)

Paul-Mont
http://www.scientology.org/en_US/rel...ism/pg039.html
Interesting. So this is why John Travolta yells "clear" whenever he starts
the engines.

Old July 11th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Morgans writes:

Correct, plus the fact that the 707 is a two "qualified" pilot plane.

The flight engineer is not necessary?