Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Old June 29th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:08:16 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

As hard as it may be for residents of the city to accept, there is
more to the world outside of Dallas.

Tell ya what...

Why don't you make a list of all the foreign countries you've been to
and I'll respond with a list of my own and we'll see who's got the
widest world view.

That'd be fine, except he lies like a rug! Would anyone here buy a car from
Mx?

Old June 29th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old June 30th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-06-29 06:38:49 -0700, (Paul Tomblin) said:

In a previous article, Matthias van Henk said:
As more and more aviation business is operated from Asia and Chinese is
the most spoken language in the world all communication should be made
in Chinese then. :-)

There is no such language as "Chinese". There are dozens of mutually
unintelligible languages in China. I know people from different areas of
China who can't even understand each other when they're supposedly both
speaking Mandarin, so they speak English to each other.

You see that all over Asia. People who supposedly speak the same
dialect who cannot understand each other, so they speak English.
English has become what Esperanto was intended to be.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old June 30th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-06-29 08:00:54 -0700, "Maxwell" said:

"El Maximo" wrote in message
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news

If Won Wing Low had been the Father of Aviation, it could have been!

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich
overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because
you lost the bloody war."

I think we can all rest assured teach the world to speak understandable
English is not a long term problem. Everything will be going to Spanish in a
few years anyway.

The Chinese are studying English by the millions. There are more
non-native English speakers than there are native English speakers, and
the gap is growing.

It is a mistake to think that the things that are done on behalf of an
American cultural minority mean that America is going to change to
Spanish. Even less so for the entire rest of the world. English is
rapidly becoming the universal language of the world. Declare yourself
an English teacher and you can get a job practically anywhere in Asia,
the Middle East, Africa, or even South America.

Old June 30th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-06-29 11:18:09 -0700, K Baum said:

On Jun 29, 4:39 am, "El Maximo" wrote:

Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"

What is interesting is that in Mexico and parts of South America, the
controllers speak Spanish with local (or domestic) flights, and
english with international flights.
KB.

They do at the major airports. Get off the beaten track and you might
find a controller that does not speak English. Also, there is no
guarantee that the local commandant will speak English when you land at
some of the smaller airports. Fortunately, he usually has a jeep and
can take you to somebody who does speak English.

Old June 30th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, C J Campbell said:
What is interesting is that in Mexico and parts of South America, the
controllers speak Spanish with local (or domestic) flights, and
english with international flights.

They do at the major airports. Get off the beaten track and you might
find a controller that does not speak English. Also, there is no
guarantee that the local commandant will speak English when you land at
some of the smaller airports. Fortunately, he usually has a jeep and
can take you to somebody who does speak English.

At gunpoint, possibly.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
If you had the chance of making the amount of pain your lusers had to suffer
Old June 30th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:39:21 +0200, the renowned Mxsmanic
wrote:

Donald Newcomb writes:

I wonder if the tests are all written, like in Japan where everyone studies
English but few people can speak it?

According to the news segment on CNN, the new test is verbal. It must be
extremely easy, though, since they interviewed a Chinese pilot who had passed
it and he was incomprehensible--and it was obvious that he had barely
understood the question put to him as well.

Are you sure he wasn't a Chinese pirate?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old June 30th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Why don't you go back to wherever you were for the past week and bother some
other people for a change?

Old June 30th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
ant[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:
I think we can all rest assured teach the world to speak
understandable English is not a long term problem. Everything will be
going to Spanish in a few years anyway.

In the US, possibly.

--
Don't try to reply to my email addy:
I'm borrowing that of the latest

Old June 30th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:45:32 -0500, ManhattanMan wrote:

That'd be fine, except he lies like a rug! Would anyone here buy a car from
Mx?

That's ok.. I figure even if he lies we'll all know it. Everyone knows he
rarely leaves his apartment.

--
Dallas