Wrinkly flat panels

Old February 25th 04, 12:19 AM

Default Wrinkly flat panels

I've seen a few homebuilts with part of the fuselage panel that are flat
aluminum that are quite wrinkly and tend to "oil can" and make noise in
various flight attitudes. I haven't seen cross breaks used to stop this,
although it is used in duct work to stiffen flat panels. (cross breaks are
slight bends in the metal, done diagonally from corner to corner)

Another thought to reduce this noise is to spray urethane foam on the panels.
I know that this foam is combustable, but I figure for it to get on fire would
mean the pilot and passenger cabin is already engulfed, so it wouldn't really
matter.

What do you think?

thanks,
tom pettit
Old February 25th 04, 01:21 AM
jls

wrote in message
I've seen a few homebuilts with part of the fuselage panel that are flat
aluminum that are quite wrinkly and tend to "oil can" and make noise in
various flight attitudes. I haven't seen cross breaks used to stop this,
although it is used in duct work to stiffen flat panels. (cross breaks

are
slight bends in the metal, done diagonally from corner to corner)

Another thought to reduce this noise is to spray urethane foam on the

panels.
I know that this foam is combustable, but I figure for it to get on fire

would
mean the pilot and passenger cabin is already engulfed, so it wouldn't

really
matter.

What do you think?

thanks,
tom pettit

A stiffening bead pressed into the panel or aluminum channel or angle
riveted to the back of the panel. My old Taylorcraft has half-circle
pressed beads on the firewall to stiffen it, and I notice the old Cessna I
have the cowl off of has a flange running horizontally across the middle of
the firewall, plus a few other neat stiffening devices. That stiffens it
for you. You can countersink the rivets for appearance's sake if you wish.

Stiffening a panel of fiberglas is great fun: all you have to do is make a
sandwich with foam in between, the thicker the foam the stiffer. As a
matter of fact as the thickness increases the stiffness and strength go up
at a staggering rate. There are formulas for that and not being a
mathematician I'd best not delve into the theory of beams but if you double
the height of a beam you have increased the stiffness and strength of the
beam by exponents of the increase in height. Let Billy B. Badd explain it
to you in his most inimitable articulate way.

Old February 25th 04, 02:28 AM
Chris Batcheller

The solution is simple. Cut the panel from 0.090 2024. The panel will
never wrinkle. Then paint the panel with an epoxy based paint. It will look
great for years.

We have them CNC machined all the time and they look great. email me if you
need me to set you up with a place that can do that.

Thanks, Chris

Old February 25th 04, 03:40 PM
Wright1902Glider

Curiously enough, I've seen pannel wrinkling on the front end of a B-52!

Harry
Old February 25th 04, 03:41 PM
Bob Chilcoat

The stiffness goes up by the third power if the thickness. Double the
thickness of a plate, and it's eight times as stiff.

" jls" wrote in message
. ..

Old February 25th 04, 06:14 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, "Chris Batcheller" wrote:

The solution is simple. Cut the panel from 0.090 2024...

I think that the original poster was using the term "panel" in a
somewhat generic sense, and not necessarily to refer to an instrument
panel. But that was the way I first read it, too.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
Old February 26th 04, 03:38 AM

Howdy All,

Thanks for your thoutful replies. They seem to fall into three main ideas:

Thicker panels:
yeah. This will work, but for exterior fuselage panels, it would be
prohibitively heavy. I'll pass.

Building in some kind of "upset":
This will work. Breaks, as I described will make the panels stiffer. Another
poster suggested rolling in ridges that would stiffen the panel. These would
look kind of goofy, and have a small drag effect. I think I'll pass.

Spraying a urethane foam on the inside:
This will stiffen the panel and improve the noise level inside the aircraft.
It would require a fire rated foam such as "gator skin". Other are
available. I'm leaning this way.

Thanks to all,
tom pettit
Old February 26th 04, 07:39 AM
Richard Lamb

Howdy All,

Thanks for your thoutful replies. They seem to fall into three main ideas:

Thicker panels:
yeah. This will work, but for exterior fuselage panels, it would be
prohibitively heavy. I'll pass.

Building in some kind of "upset":
This will work. Breaks, as I described will make the panels stiffer. Another
poster suggested rolling in ridges that would stiffen the panel. These would
look kind of goofy, and have a small drag effect. I think I'll pass.

Spraying a urethane foam on the inside:
This will stiffen the panel and improve the noise level inside the aircraft.
It would require a fire rated foam such as "gator skin". Other are
available. I'm leaning this way.

Thanks to all,
tom pettit

Lean back the other way some, Tom.
You are about to fall off of something here...

Filling large cavities with foam may be great for boats,
but don't do it to a metal airplane.

The lightest mix you'll get will be at least 3 pounds per cubic foot,
minimum.
And you'll need to pull a light vacuum to get that repeatably.

The foam will also continue to expand long after the skin has bulged way
outta shape.

Better solutions:

Deeply curved panels an not so susceptible to oil canning by nature of
their shape.
But that's a preliminary design issue, not an add on.

Better support inside will help reduce skin wrinkling and noise.
Closer spaced ribs, a cleverly placed stringer here or there?

I think the correct answer is thicker skin.

Increasing skin thickness a few thousandths will make a stiffer panel at
a fraction
of the weight of extra structure - or a fifty emergency flotation.

Now, may I suggest you contact the original designer with this question?

Because something as simple sounding as increasing skin thickness can
have snowball
effects on light structures.

In my book, that's considered a bad thing.

Richard