Post Curing Composites

Old January 3rd 19, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Post Curing Composites

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 2:45:51 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I am looking for some advise regarding "Post Curing of Epoxy Composites".

The sailplane composite repairs have been completed regarding my salvaged ASW-27. The tail boom has a new 3'long intermediate section that has been scarfed and glassed into position. The fuselage pod had some radial cracks and the seat pan had some fractures that were all scarfed and glassed. All of the composite repairs were done at room temperature using OEM materials and MGS epoxy.

What temperature is recommended and for what duration should I be using for post curing the repaired areas. Is there a temperature ramp up and ramp down time that I need to work with. I plan to build a foam insulation box around the repair areas and use a fan with a number of light bulbs to regulate the temperature.

Any advise is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Chris

Thanks for all of the assistance and advice. This is such a great group with experienced an knowledgeable contributors.

Much appreciated,
Chris
Old January 4th 19, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 11:05:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

My response assumed that you are using the MGS system the glider was built with and specified in the repair manual. That is where my info previously came from. This task is not rocket science and does not require much technology.
For the area of your tail boom repair a closed box of foam insulation or even a cardboard box will do fine. Make sure there is a good amount of space between the enclosure and the structure. For that size you can get enough heating with three 100 watt light bulbs if you put a few blankets around the box. Adjust the temperature by adding or removing a bit of insulation. You do need a reliable temperature measuring tool. I use a thermocouple on a meter but a simple calibrated oven thermometer pushed into the box will do in a pinch. Make sure it is remote from the heat source. I put the lights in the bottom at least 8 inches from the part, with a shield to avoid direct exposure.
It will take about 3 hours or so to come to equilibrium.
Gentle heating makes for an easily controlled system.
Curing for longer allows soak and does no harm.
UH
Old January 7th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 8:02:31 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Thanks Hank,

Your details really help out.

Much appreciated,
Chris
Old January 8th 19, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Here's a temperature controller and probe for $30, and a version of the same for $15 if you can scrounge up your own cords:

https://smile.amazon.com/Inkbird-Ele...ure+controller

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/slredire...getName=sp_atf
Old January 8th 19, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Jim Marske's advice is to limit the T rise to about 1 deg F per minute, so I interpret that as every 5 min or so raise the temperature by 5 degrees.
Old January 12th 19, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Palmer

At 21:43 08 January 2019, Bret Hess wrote:
Here's a temperature controller and probe for $30, and a version

of the
sa=
me for $15 if you can scrounge up your own cords:

https://smile.amazon.com/Inkbird-Ele...c-Temperature-

Germination-Control=
ling/dp/B01486LZ50/ref=3Dsr_1_4?

ie=3DUTF8&qid=3D1546983554&sr=3D8-4&keyword=
s=3Dinkbird+temperature+controller

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/slredire...rect.html/ref=

3Dpa_sp_atf=
_aps_sr_pg1_2?

ie=3DUTF8&adId=3DA02927671UI46I5AKTV1Y&url=3Dhttps %3A%
2F%2Fsm=
ile.amazon.com%2FInkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-

ITC-1000%2Fdp%2=
FB00OXPE8U6%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2_sspa%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid %3

D1546983554%26sr%3D8-2-s=
pons%26keywords%3Dinkbird%2Btemperature%2Bcontrol ler%26

psc%3D1&qualifier=3D=
1546983553&id=3D6639836400413390&widgetName=3Dsp_ atf

This is the temperature controller I use for £7.42 inc postage! Works
very well:

AC 90V-250V MH1210W Digital Temperature Controller screen H2M6

can be found at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-90V-250V-MH1210W-Digital-
Temperature-Controller-screen-H2M6/253816032413?
epid=1869137394&hash=item3b189d4c9d:g:HhsAAOSwRiNb dA4R

Old January 12th 19, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Miroslaw Pitorak

At 20:45 31 December 2018, wrote:
I am looking for some advise regarding "Post Curing of Epoxy

Composites".=
=20

=
and the seat pan had some fractures that were all scarfed and glassed.

All
=
of the composite repairs were done at room temperature using OEM

materials
=
and MGS epoxy.=20

What temperature is recommended and for what duration should I be using
for=
post curing the repaired areas. Is there a temperature ramp up and ramp
do=
wn time that I need to work with. I plan to build a foam insulation box
ar=
ound the repair areas and use a fan with a number of light bulbs to
regulat=
e the temperature.=20

Any advise is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Chris

Just ask glider manufacturer - this is the best source of such information.
They should tell you what temperature and for how long have to be kept and
very likely heat up and cooling down procedure.
I can dig out such data for PW-6U (supplied by ZS Jezow when we did front
wheel repair) but they my not be relevant for your glider/epoxy used.

Regards,
Mirek P.