lCambridge 302 Security Fail

Old December 7th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default lCambridge 302 Security Fail

OK wizards....got a " Security Fail" for the first time today. All
other indications A-OK. I tried downloading the flight again, still no
luck. I went back and downloaded an older flight and got a "Security
OK" note. Looking for ideas as I try to locate my manual.
Thanks
Old December 7th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Romeo,

First of all, I can't answer to the call of "wizard." Folks on my
field call me by other "terms of endearment."

But that won't prevent me from pitching in and trying to answer. Your
issue is why I try to keep an appropriately-sized cardboard box
handy. So I can ship my 302 to Cambridge. I don't know what it is,
but I would suspect your 302 will need a check-up at Cambridge. I've
had the same problem before.

I've lost count, but my 302 has been back to Cambridge at least twice,
maybe three times in the four or so years (maybe longer?) that I've
had it. And, it's time to go back again. Now, the audio function of
the vario seems "off." And, it's time for a recalibration (I'm gonna
get 500 km this coming year, I just know it! ;-)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old December 7th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And now, OLC won't accept my log from my CAI M-25 due to "format"
issues and request I email it to the help desk. Hmmmmm
I have since discover that the 302 memory battery may need replacing
by Cambridge and only Cambridge ( I have a special place for that
perfect 302 mailing box, I'm ahead of you girl).
Lets shift this topic over to M-25 format issues, any help on this
one?
(I need to turn on the AC, its hot down here)
Old December 7th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 7, 2:58*pm, " wrote:
OK wizards....got a " Security Fail" for the first time today. All
other indications A-OK. I tried downloading the flight again, still no
luck. I went back and downloaded an older flight and got a "Security
OK" note. Looking for ideas *as I try to locate my manual.
Thanks

Oh well you have not been periodically clearing the log memory on your
Cambridge 302 have you?

The flight trace you downloaded should contain all the flight
information, just it won't validate as a secure log. You are probably
SOL if you needed the validation. If it is for submission to OLC and
you need the validation you can try submitting the flight and then
contacting OLC support, they are aware of this exact issue and in the
past have manually approved some flights where this has occurred.

Periodically clearing the log memory (which will erase all your
traces, so make sure they are all downloaded first) should avoid you
seeing this problem. If you have a SeeYou Mobile PDA connected to the
C302 I've documented an easy way to do this at
http://www.darrylramm.com/2008/09/15...-seeyou-mobile,
even if you don't have a SeeYou Mobile PDA connected look at the notes
there.

Sending the unit to Cambridge may well "fix" the problem only becasue
they clear the log memory for you. If you don't clear it yourself
periodically afterwards I expect the problem will come back. If you
need you vario now I would just clear the memory as described on my
blog post. Cambridge is also testing out different flash memory chips
that may reduce or solve this problem. I have the new chip in my C302
but it will take a long time for me to be comfortable this solves the
problem (ask me this time next year - and I've stopped clearing my log
memory, and am running at 1 Hz log rate to try to induce the problem
if it is there). If you send your unit to Cambridge you should talk to
them to see if it makes sense for them to install the new flash chip.

And Ray if you have been sending the vario to Cambridge multiple times
for this security fail problem, especially if it's happening every
year or so, it looks like you've been wasting your time -- but maybe
you've been helping provide useful information to Cambridge :-).
Personally I'd just make a habit of erasing log memory, by all
accounts it's an effective work-around. I've experienced this security
fail twice on two different loggers and clearing the log memory has
fixed, and kept at bay, the problem.

And preempting some confusion here... this is not related to other
problems with flight traces from Cambridge 20/25 GPS etc., the
workflow to download and validate traces from those devices etc. This
problem is inside the Cambridge 302.

Darryl

Old December 7th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 7, 3:37*pm, " wrote:
And now, OLC won't accept my log from my CAI M-25 due to "format"
issues and request I email it to the help desk. Hmmmmm
I have since discover that the 302 memory battery may need replacing
by Cambridge and only Cambridge ( I have a special place for that
perfect 302 mailing box, I'm ahead of you girl).
Lets shift this topic over to M-25 format issues, any help on this
one?
(I need to turn on the AC, its hot down here)

The Cambridge 302 does not have a memory battery. It uses flash for
non-volatile memory.

Just submit your "security fail" flight from your Cambridge 302 and
contact OLC about the problem.

Darryl
Old December 8th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Oh, boy.....this is getting tough.....I was not even aware one could
erase the logs. Ray, do yours and when you got it figured out, call me
and talk me through it. How you guys figure all this stuff out is out
there with Eisteinism and wormholes. Quarks and anti-matter.
Old December 8th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Dec 7, 4:05*pm, " wrote:
Oh, boy.....this is getting tough.....I was not even aware one could
erase the logs. Ray, do yours and when you got it figured out, call me
and talk me through it. How you guys figure all this stuff out is out
there with Eisteinism and wormholes. Quarks and anti-matter.

Paul Remde has a procedure for clearing the memory on his website.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/newsl...LETTER.BLOCK15

I think that will get you there.
Old December 8th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV

Darryl Ramm wrote:

Oh well you have not been periodically clearing the log memory on your
Cambridge 302 have you?

Gary Kammerer, while still at Cambridge, told me that this was no longer
necessary with the latest firmware.

Tony v.
Old December 8th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 7, 4:28*pm, TonyV wrote:
Darryl Ramm wrote:
Oh well you have not been periodically clearing the log memory on your
Cambridge 302 have you?

Gary Kammerer, while still at Cambridge, told me that this was no longer
necessary with the latest firmware.

Tony v.

I don't believe that is true (but would be very happy to be
corrected). I think they've been trying lots of things. At one point
it was thought to the be the fault of the download utility, then the
firmware, ... and so the story goes on. My latest 302 failed and I
believe it was running at the latest firmware rev. Cambridge is still
working on this AFAIK, and the flash memory is the current suspect. At
least as the last time I talked to them (a month ago). I'd be clearing
the log memory....

Darryl
Old December 8th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 7, 5:34*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Cambridge is still working on this AFAIK

Who would that be? I thought everyone at Cambridge involved with
software and hardware development had moved on. I hope that'd not
true but I know that most of the people I have ever had contact with
are gone.

I have never erased my 302 and it has recorded well over 500 hours at
2 second interval. I have experienced the security fail problem I
think twice. It's interesting that a security fail on one flight will
not usually give a security fail on the next or subsequent flights.
Sending it back is probably a waste of money unless you need a
calibration. If the log memory was full for the one with security
fail it was still full for the subsequent flights.

Since Cambridge had a date/time math error in the utility code I
wonder if there is a date/time problem in the 302. Anyone willing to
post the start/end dates/times of any 302 logs with security fail?

Andy