Navy jet rolls into S.D. Bay on landing

Old August 29th 04, 04:54 PM
billwg

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
The good news is that it's a short trip to the F/A-18 repair facilities.

If
you're going to break a plane, having the decency to do it right outside

the
shop is nice. :-)

It seems to me that the shop is about 400 miles north of there at Lemoore.
That's a pretty long tow.

Old August 29th 04, 07:59 PM
Dave in San Diego

"billwg" wrote in news:I_mYc.8509$%D6.493
@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
The good news is that it's a short trip to the F/A-18 repair facilities.

If
you're going to break a plane, having the decency to do it right outside

the
shop is nice. :-)

It seems to me that the shop is about 400 miles north of there at Lemoore.
That's a pretty long tow.

The depot facility, which would be doing the repair regardless of crash site,
is at North Island. That's where they did the Blue Angels mods on that set of
a/c.
Old August 30th 04, 05:07 AM
Ed

"billwg" wrote in message

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
The good news is that it's a short trip to the F/A-18 repair facilities.

If
you're going to break a plane, having the decency to do it right outside

the
shop is nice. :-)

It seems to me that the shop is about 400 miles north of there at Lemoore.
That's a pretty long tow.

Actually, the info comes from the newpaper articles that say that the FA18
repair facility is at North Island.

Ed

Old August 31st 04, 02:24 AM

- snip -

The good news is that it's a short trip to the F/A-18 repair facilities.

If
you're going to break a plane, having the decency to do it right outside

the
shop is nice. :-)

A short trip but a long stay at NADEP NI - they never get anything out in
time

Old September 2nd 04, 07:39 PM
Elmshoot

Long shot question: What would be the probability of having a tanker
sitting around nearby?

During rountine flight ops with a bingo field available. The general rules are
that if a plane gets sent on a bingo he WILL NEVER turn back for a tanker. If
the tanker can get ahead of him then it is considered OK to tank enroute to the
bingo field. I don'yt think I have ever seen that done during normal routine
flight ops.

Now On a WestPAc Connie 89 in the North PAc I was launched as the alert tanker
when the ship got a Tipper the bears were out looking for us out of Vlad. The
fog set in (no wonder with a 1 degree temp dewpoint spred) The ship broke
emcon to call us back since they realized that the airborne alerts were in deep
do do. 1 tomcat 1 FAG 1 Hoover 1 Hummer and me in the KA-6. I started back to
the ship and was thinking something was up with the weather. They wanted us to
buster and gave us case 3 marshal instructions starting at 5K. We defered the
altitude and got holding at 20K this would save us gas as well as give us
additional range if we needed to bingo. However we were Blue water ops. I
called the ondeck turning tanker on the back radio on the squadron freq. I
asked what the Wx was like. "****ty" was the reply. We started to figure out
were we could go if need be Shimmia was about 400NM north of the ship and we
were holding North of the ship. After the helo tried to get aboard seval times
with LSO help they finally relented and We headed N to Shimmia I had
anticipated the bingo so I was already 100 NM north of the ship in my holding
pattern so the Fighters who were sceaming for gas just chased us down and got
there confort fuel. Spent the next day Wx in on the rock then back to the ship
the next day. This was occuring the same time the Tienaman sq thing was going
on since we had not heard anything about it until we saw it on the TV.
Sparky
Old September 2nd 04, 11:46 PM
Joe Delphi

Just to get the lingo down...

1 FAG = Fighter Air To Ground? = F/A-18??

Old September 3rd 04, 02:15 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 9/2/04 5:46 PM, in article
et, "Joe Delphi"

"Elmshoot" wrote in message
The ship broke
emcon to call us back since they realized that the airborne alerts were in

deep
do do. 1 tomcat 1 FAG 1 Hoover 1 Hummer and me in the KA-6.

Derogatory term for the Hornet dude. Fighter/Attack Guy. Used to use the
term all the time before I drank the Kool Aid.

--Woody

Old September 3rd 04, 06:34 AM
Paul Michael Brown

Now On a WestPAc Connie 89 in the North PAc I was launched as the alert tanker
when the ship got a Tipper the bears were out looking for us out of Vlad.

Remainder of excellent and evocative post snipped to conserve bandwidth.

Yet another example of why I wade though all the political bilge that's
posted here. When I discover such a superb post from somebody who: (1) is
not a troll, and (2) has been there, done that -- it's all worthwhile.

Bravo Zulo Mr. Elmshoot. Keep up the good work.