A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

S80 vario decoupling



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 20th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default S80 vario decoupling

Is there any way to "decouple" the S80? That is, get it to display one MacCready setting for speed to fly while showing another (higher) MacCready setting for required altitude to destination? I don't see a way to do it but hopefully I'm missing something.
I like the vario so much my willingness to tap around on my Oudie has diminished greatly...
Ads
  #2  
Old May 20th 19, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 193
Default S80 vario decoupling

I use my S8 for STF and my Oudie for final glides.

Go to Settings / Hardware in the Oudie and unclick the boxes for the vario communications with the S8 and, voila, you can fly with different MC values in each instrument.

(I got the from Paul Remde.)

Lou
  #3  
Old May 20th 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default S80 vario decoupling

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
I use my S8 for STF and my Oudie for final glides.

Go to Settings / Hardware in the Oudie and unclick the boxes for the vario communications with the S8 and, voila, you can fly with different MC values in each instrument.

(I got the from Paul Remde.)

Lou


Thanks, yes that is how used to have it setup, but that requires entering waypoints and STF in each instrument as required. I've since switched it around and coupled the comms, and by doing that I don't really need to touch the Oudie all day, set it and forget it, and primarily use the S80 for any variables. The only issue then is that on final glide I need to flip the MacCready back and forth from STF to a "height check" MacCready value. With this setup any changes are done with S80 knobs or buttons, allows much less fiddling overall with computers, and almost no fiddling or tapping on the Oudie (usually just screen changes which I can do with my finger).
If we could get LXNav to develop a navbox where you could select the MacCready value for say "arrival altitude on target MacCready X", a variable MacCready setting, the vario would essentially be "uncoupled" for my needs. Maybe it is allowed for some other way and I just don't see it...
  #4  
Old May 20th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 89
Default S80 vario decoupling

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:41:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
I use my S8 for STF and my Oudie for final glides.

Go to Settings / Hardware in the Oudie and unclick the boxes for the vario communications with the S8 and, voila, you can fly with different MC values in each instrument.

(I got the from Paul Remde.)

Lou


Thanks, yes that is how used to have it setup, but that requires entering waypoints and STF in each instrument as required. I've since switched it around and coupled the comms, and by doing that I don't really need to touch the Oudie all day, set it and forget it, and primarily use the S80 for any variables. The only issue then is that on final glide I need to flip the MacCready back and forth from STF to a "height check" MacCready value. With this setup any changes are done with S80 knobs or buttons, allows much less fiddling overall with computers, and almost no fiddling or tapping on the Oudie (usually just screen changes which I can do with my finger).
If we could get LXNav to develop a navbox where you could select the MacCready value for say "arrival altitude on target MacCready X", a variable MacCready setting, the vario would essentially be "uncoupled" for my needs. Maybe it is allowed for some other way and I just don't see it...


I keep the vario set on the final glide MacCready value and turn the volume down on the vario. There's not a lot of benefit, trying to follow MacCready on the final glide anyway.

YMMV,
Craig
  #5  
Old May 21st 19, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default S80 vario decoupling

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:28:56 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:41:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
I use my S8 for STF and my Oudie for final glides.

Go to Settings / Hardware in the Oudie and unclick the boxes for the vario communications with the S8 and, voila, you can fly with different MC values in each instrument.

(I got the from Paul Remde.)

Lou


Thanks, yes that is how used to have it setup, but that requires entering waypoints and STF in each instrument as required. I've since switched it around and coupled the comms, and by doing that I don't really need to touch the Oudie all day, set it and forget it, and primarily use the S80 for any variables. The only issue then is that on final glide I need to flip the MacCready back and forth from STF to a "height check" MacCready value. With this setup any changes are done with S80 knobs or buttons, allows much less fiddling overall with computers, and almost no fiddling or tapping on the Oudie (usually just screen changes which I can do with my finger).
If we could get LXNav to develop a navbox where you could select the MacCready value for say "arrival altitude on target MacCready X", a variable MacCready setting, the vario would essentially be "uncoupled" for my needs. Maybe it is allowed for some other way and I just don't see it...


I keep the vario set on the final glide MacCready value and turn the volume down on the vario. There's not a lot of benefit, trying to follow MacCready on the final glide anyway.

YMMV,
Craig


Yes, I do the same with the volume on final, and certainly don't chase the indicator. But sometimes it is valuable, such as in the first half or so of a very long final glide, to have a conservative STF value visible to "guide" actual STF. After thinking about it some more, I realized I can just look at the required MacCready and required altitude dialog boxes on the Oudie and monitor glide as those numbers change. That way I can keep the comms coupled, get quality wind from the S80 for the calculations that use that, and keep my eyes looking out of the glider like Cochrane suggested during his webinar.
  #6  
Old May 21st 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 437
Default S80 vario decoupling

In version 7 decoupled safety MC was finally added to the LX9000 series. I am not sure if it was added to the stand alone S80, but worth checking or requesting this directly from the LXNAV folks. They do listen to their customers and respond promptly.

Ramy
  #7  
Old May 21st 19, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default S80 vario decoupling

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:05:18 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
In version 7 decoupled safety MC was finally added to the LX9000 series. I am not sure if it was added to the stand alone S80, but worth checking or requesting this directly from the LXNAV folks. They do listen to their customers and respond promptly.

Ramy


Ah yes, that's what it's called, safety MacCready. It's not in the latest update for the S80/S100. I'll make a request.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXNav S80 vario decoupling [email protected] Soaring 0 May 20th 19 06:48 PM
Looking for a SB-9 Vario Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 0 July 17th 15 04:25 PM
Butterfly vario side-by-side with ClearNav vario [email protected] Soaring 30 May 22nd 13 07:11 AM
LX NAV V3 Vario Richard[_9_] Soaring 3 November 1st 12 09:10 PM
WTB: 57mm Cambridge Vario/FS: 80mm Cambridge Vario ufmechanic Soaring 0 March 24th 09 05:31 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.