Perlan Yawstring

Old September 4th 18, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Perlan Yawstring

Could someone sponsor them so they can get a Mark 1V yawstring instead of using a bit of white sticky tape? At 0:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhK...ature=youtu.be
Old September 4th 18, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Interesting how the lift pulses....

Steve
Old September 4th 18, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:21:47 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:38:42 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Interesting how the lift pulses....

Steve

I wonder how good their TE compensation is.

Evan

Not seeing speed changes or attitude changes that could induce +/-5 knot vertical, but who knows. Low indicated but high true airspeeds could possibly induce larger vertical speed changes with minimal indicated speed changes.. Can't imagine Jim would permit crappy TE compensation for this sort of mission.

Steve
Old September 4th 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 10:41:55 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Could someone sponsor them so they can get a Mark 1V yawstring instead of using a bit of white sticky tape? At 0:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhK...ature=youtu.be

Where did you get this footage ? Please advise - is there some web site ?
thanks in advance -
Old September 4th 18, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 3:04:38 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:21:47 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:38:42 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Interesting how the lift pulses....

Steve

I wonder how good their TE compensation is.

Evan

Not seeing speed changes or attitude changes that could induce +/-5 knot vertical, but who knows. Low indicated but high true airspeeds could possibly induce larger vertical speed changes with minimal indicated speed changes. Can't imagine Jim would permit crappy TE compensation for this sort of mission.

Steve

I think it's likely more a matter of "take what you can get". New environment / new challenges. No one has ever done TE compensation at 200 kts TAS, no one has ever done sensitive variometry at 50K+.

Evan
Old September 5th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would think that a project like this would be improved by an order of magnitude by eliminating the Stone-Age whitestickytapewithyarnattached first attempt.

If the technologically optimized Mk IV Yawstring had been utilized from the outset of the program, I have no doubt that the target altitude of 90k would have already been achieved. And the Perlan Project probably would not have found it necessary to tow to 42,000 feet behind the Grob Egrett.

In fact, they might not have needed a towplane at all! (Or even PILOTS!)

Such is the magic of the Mk IV Yawstring, but it is not OLC or IGC approved..

I am not affiliated with the manufacturer or distributor of the Mk IV Yawstring in any way, except for the fact that I sent them money, they sent me a Mk IV Yawstring and I will get around to installing it someday, providing I can wade through the 400 page installation and use manual, which is not available in electronic format and must be downloaded from a dump truck full of clay tablets with embossed cuneiform symbols. I am up to Tablet 18, and have hopes of getting through the disclaimers and warnings later this week..

Stay tuned for helpful hints.
Old September 5th 18, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:41:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Could someone sponsor them so they can get a Mark 1V yawstring instead of using a bit of white sticky tape? At 0:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhK...ature=youtu.be

jpg,

I gave them two MKIV yaw strings (this was before Wings & Wheels took over the MKIV and QV business). Disappointed they didn't get installed. There are still a few odd "bumper made" parts on board, in the tow hook release, drogue parachute latch, control pulley cable guides and such - mostly as my hangar/machine shop was nearby and I work for cheeseburger credits, (if I'm ever homeless, I won't go hungry). The team did a huge amount of fitting out, fixing and redesigning systems on the glider after delivery, as it was nowhere near ready to go.
Old September 5th 18, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 6:31:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Right, the MKIV, according to highly refutable and normally unreliable sources, raises L/D by 2 points at sea level (where you don't want to be anyway). This gain in apparent efficiency increases with altitude according to the calculations. At 90,000', projections indicate the MKIV can be expected to power the glider.

Now about those snide comments on my single space, small print, rather lengthy installation instructions . . .that is just wrong on so many levels!

Wings and Wheels (owner of rights to the MKIV), has brought everything up-to-date, transferring the instructions to lightweight composite tablets and will deliver them to your driveway in a small minivan, maybe. Optionally, they might send their expert yaw string installation team who'll put most grid girls and pit babes to shame.
Old September 5th 18, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 7:04:53 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
[...]

There has been a lot of frustrated English teachers lately giving bad grades but not corrections.
Old September 5th 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

[...]

I have with me these fifteen (CRASH) these ten commandments....
Mel

Perlan Through 60,000 again and climbing.... Peter Deane[_2_] Soaring 1 August 28th 18 09:05 PM
Perlan II up again Duster[_2_] Soaring 7 September 11th 17 11:06 PM
Perlan is up. Bruce Hoult Soaring 1 September 9th 17 08:58 PM
Perlan [email protected] Soaring 10 February 27th 13 05:59 AM
Perlan Goes to 50,000+ Shawn Knickerbocker Soaring 2 September 1st 06 09:05 PM