I hate winter

Old January 5th 04, 10:48 AM
Wolfgang K.

FCLOWW 050900Z 051019 12007KT 0800 SN SCT002 BKN005 PROB40 TEMPO
1012 0300 +SN VV001 BECMG 1215 02010KT 2000 -SN FEW005 BKN012 BKN020
TEMPO 1519 35012G22KT 9999 NSW FEW015 BKN025=25=

it's not so much the winds (in 5000 ft forecast is 30 kt) though, but the
heavy snowfall over here in vienna, austria.

just have had about 9 inches of snow within 24 hours in the capital - huge
traffic jam.
http://www.wien.gv.at/webcam/burgtheater.htm
http://www.elalmanaque.com/navidad/w.../webcams22.htm
http://www.mfu-wien.com/wx/loav_wx.html (local airfield)

regards
wolfgang

Old January 5th 04, 11:12 AM
Cub Driver

The only bad thing about winter is the decision on whether I should go
skiing or go flying.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 5th 04, 12:46 PM
Jay Honeck

I am ready for winter to be over.

Pshaw. The very best flying is in winter. And it's just getting started!

Yesterday we got creamed with 8 inches of light, fluffy snow -- now
everything is gorgeous around here! (There is nothing worse than flying
over Iowa in January when all the snow has melted... 60,000 square miles of
MUD.) A true winter wonderland, we've become.

And, since we spent the entire afternoon/evening yesterday partying for the
playoffs (Go Pack!), I was glad the weather sucked for flying. Now,
everything is white, crisp, and cold. Our rate of climb will be easily over
1400 fpm, and visibility will be 1000 miles.

And you'll be able to fly at night the same as in the daytime -- even
without a moon. (The white snow reflects even starlight amply enough to fly
by...)

Now that I'm not in newspapers anymore, I'll take this weather over that
"flying inside a ping-pong ball" effect we get in July...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Jeff" wrote in message
the strong winds aloft are a killer when your ready to get back home.

This morning I flew my wifes brother and his wife back to Casa Grande
Az. from Las Vegas, getting down there was pretty quick, hour and 45
minutes, getting back was 2 hours and 15 minutes. My worst GS was when I
climed to 10.5 to go over a mountain near kingman Az, I thought I was
sucking with my 130 kt GS at 8500 ft, at 10.5 I was getting a
blistering 117 kts!!!!!

Old January 5th 04, 01:08 PM
EDR

In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

The only bad thing about winter is the decision on whether I should go
skiing or go flying.

Put skiis on the airplane and enjoy them both! ;-))
Old January 5th 04, 07:26 PM
Rob Perkins

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:13:25 -0800, Jeff wrote:

This morning I flew my wifes brother and his wife back to Casa Grande
Az. from Las Vegas, getting down there was pretty quick, hour and 45
minutes, getting back was 2 hours and 15 minutes.

I was just into San Carlos Apache and Stellar last week. I agree, the
winter winds in the area make the eastbound trip less than quick.

Rob
Old January 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Jeff

I was getting 170 kts GS on the way there, gross weight, it was on the
ground 30 minutes before heading back, I tried to make the plane a bit
heavier by adding full fuel since I had emptied everything out of the
plane.

In the summer time, I can usually get 150 kts down and back, or real
close to 150 kts.

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
lol.ya I guess that is pretty bad.
But I had 155 TAS and was only getting 117 kts.

Yeah...but what were you getting on the outbound leg?

You're kind of a "glass is half empty" sort! :~)

Old January 5th 04, 08:02 PM
Jeff

Here it will start getting better come march, Feb. and Mar.

100 kt tail wind, was the ride smoothe or ??

Last week I ferried my plane back over to north las vegas from henderson,
winds at north town on the ground were only 11 kts, at henderson they were 31
and almost a 90 degree xwind when I took off, I could feel the plane wanting
to move left as I was rolling. downdrafts was horrible as soon as I took off,
it starts to get pretty sporty when the winds here get like that at ground
level. you do everything you can just to hang on.

Roger Halstead wrote:It hasn't even started yet, except by the calendar. The
two coldest

months and three heaviest snow producers are still ahead of us up
here.

the strong winds aloft are a killer when your ready to get back home.

This morning I flew my wifes brother and his wife back to Casa Grande
Az. from Las Vegas, getting down there was pretty quick, hour and 45
minutes, getting back was 2 hours and 15 minutes. My worst GS was when I
climed to 10.5 to go over a mountain near kingman Az, I thought I was
sucking with my 130 kt GS at 8500 ft, at 10.5 I was getting a
blistering 117 kts!!!!!

Wait till you catch a 100 knot plus wind. :-))
We took off out of Marysvill KS a few years back with winds 30 G 50
right down the runway. At 500 feet we had well over 100 knots of tail
wind headed east. We sure did make good time getting out of there.
That wind stayed with us for about a 150 miles. We still had a 40
know tail wind once out in the clear and up at 7500 feet .

I think it's time to plug in the old Tanis heater. Forecast is for
highs in the single digits to low teens for most of the week. Lows?
:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old January 5th 04, 08:07 PM
Jeff

ya my clime rate was outstanding, at gross (2900 lbs) I was about 1100 fpm.
Cruise climb I was getting 500 fpm at 110 kts. Impressed me, and here I was
worrying about carrying to much fuel.

Old January 5th 04, 11:36 PM
Blanche

Denver. Clear. Sunny. No winds. Smooth.

And it's 5 F. I'm at home in front of a warm computer screen. When
it's this cold, I don't care about preheating the airplane, I can't
be bothered putting on all that cold weather gear on me!

Of course Wed. it'll be back into the 50s.

Tie-down winter hazards [email protected] Owning 6 January 12th 05 10:23 PM
Winter flying ops Viperdoc Owning 4 December 24th 04 01:29 AM
Jews Hate Palestinians Paminifarm Naval Aviation 40 June 11th 04 04:01 PM
Winter Flying, all over again Jay Honeck Piloting 19 December 16th 03 03:42 AM
i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - Cub Driver Military Aviation 0 October 29th 03 11:21 AM