Looking for Ridge Lift/Turbulence Diagram

Old November 10th 03, 07:33 PM
DrJack

Default Looking for Ridge Lift/Turbulence Diagram

I'm giving a (paid!) talk Saturday on soaring and soaring meteorology
to a group of power-rated pilots as part of a continuing education
aviation seminar. I have not been able to find a diagram which
depicts flow over a ridge showing both the lift on the upwind side and
the turbulence/sink on the downwind side and hope someone here might
know of one, particularly if available on the internet so I can get a
copy.

--
Dr. John W. (Jack) Glendening Meteorologist

Old November 10th 03, 10:07 PM
Waduino

You could try some of these. See if anything suits you.

http://sbsi.csumb.edu/sbsc256/sbscSt...r_3/3_1_6.html

Slide #16 at the following link is so-so
http://www.maths.monash.edu.au/atm10...TM1010_L15.pdf

There's a nice one in French here but I haven't figured out how to copy it
http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet_en/deco...nuages/nua.htm

Hope someone can do better!

Regards, and thanks for all that you do.

Old November 10th 03, 10:30 PM
DrJack

I had best emphasize that here I am concerned with _ridge_ lift, which
occurs upwind of the ridge, not _wave_ flow - I want to contrast the two
cases and already have several diagrams depicting wave flow.

--
Dr. John W. (Jack) Glendening Meteorologist

Old November 10th 03, 11:44 PM
Charles Petersen

Check out the animated graphics at
http://www.yorksoaring.com/whatissoaring.html. You may have to click along
several pages to get to the ridge lift page.

Charles Petersen, grateful user of Dr. Jack's Blip Maps

Old November 11th 03, 12:44 AM
cernauta

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:33:26 GMT, DrJack
wrote:

I have not been able to find a diagram which
depicts flow over a ridge showing both the lift on the upwind side and
the turbulence/sink on the downwind side and hope someone here might
know of one, particularly if available on the internet so I can get a
copy.

You may want to download this german presentation about Flying safely
in the mountains. A couple of (ugly) diagrams can be useful.

http://www.daec.de/downfiles/flusi/gebirgsflug.pdf

Aldo Cernezzi

(PUSSAVIA and BUBU must be removed)
Old November 11th 03, 03:09 AM
C.Fleming

This looked great! Is there an English translation?

Old November 11th 03, 06:50 AM
Tim Shea

The drawing at the flymorninggside site looks funny to me. Are you SURE that
is accurate? It looks like ridge lift, not standing mountain wave. The wave
sets up *after* the mountain range, not above and in front as depicted in
the wave.htm link.
The best diagram I've seen was made by Dan Gudgel (works for the National
Weather Service in Hanford, CA). he may be able to
e-mail it.
Tim

"Jack" wrote in message
in article
, DrJack at
wrote on 2003/11/10 13:33:

I'm giving a (paid!) talk Saturday on soaring and soaring meteorology
to a group of power-rated pilots as part of a continuing education
aviation seminar. I have not been able to find a diagram which
depicts flow over a ridge showing both the lift on the upwind side and
the turbulence/sink on the downwind side and hope someone here might
know of one, particularly if available on the internet so I can get a
copy.

http://www.flymorningside.com/wave.htm

Jack

Old November 11th 03, 07:09 AM
Jack Glendening

Tim Shea wrote:
The drawing at the flymorninggside site looks funny to me. Are you SURE that
is accurate? It looks like ridge lift, not standing mountain wave. The wave
sets up *after* the mountain range, not above and in front as depicted in
the wave.htm link.
The best diagram I've seen was made by Dan Gudgel (works for the National
Weather Service in Hanford, CA). ***DELETED*** he may be able to
e-mail it.
Tim

Tim,

The morningside diagram _is_ misleading - lift does occur upwind of the
ridge but it is normal "ridge" lift and disconnected from the wave flow.
I will contact Dan Gudgel since I know him, thanks for the lead. BTW
it's a bad idea to include an email address in a RAS posting unless it
is first altered or "munged" to prevent it's being harvested by spammers.

Jack

Old November 13th 03, 05:44 AM
Jack Glendening

My thanks to all who responded. I am going to use two of the diagrams,
one to illustrate soaring lift over a ridge and another to illustrate
dangers to aircraft downstream of a ridge.