Help: need med info for a story

Old August 17th 05, 11:40 PM
Tony

Default Help: need med info for a story

I need a medical reason for someone to fail their 3rd class physical. A
character in my story is needing to be rejected for medical reasons,
but whatever is the reason it should not interfer with normal life.
Does a childhood history of epilepsy with no adult events lead to a
medical failure? What else might?

Thanks

Old August 18th 05, 12:10 AM
Capt. Geoffry Thorpe

Lots of medications: Antidepresents, Ritilan
Recurring Kidney Stones

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

oups.com...

Old August 18th 05, 02:18 AM
Jimbob

How about a course of Zyban (Wellbutrin) for stopping smoking?

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org
Old August 18th 05, 04:13 AM
George Patterson

Tony wrote:
I need a medical reason for someone to fail their 3rd class physical. A
character in my story is needing to be rejected for medical reasons,
but whatever is the reason it should not interfer with normal life.
Does a childhood history of epilepsy with no adult events lead to a
medical failure? What else might?

A history of mental treatment might. In the mid 60s it became something of a
status symbol to have a teenager in an institution. Depending on the age of the
character, that might work for you.

A history of certain criminal activities (mainly related to drugs) is another
item that will cause at least a delay.

Even such a thing as a DWI within the last few years will cause a delay.

I think you will find, however, that there are very few things that will cause
an outright rejection while allowing the applicant to lead a normal life without
medication. On the other hand, there are *many* that will cause a temporary
denial and possibly expensive tests. If that would be sufficient for your plot,
here's one.

The applicant is in his late 30s. He fell out of a tree at age 6 and was
unconscious for 3 days. No medical records exist of this, but he (stupidly,
perhaps) reported it on his application. He also was diagnosed as being
hypoglycemic as a teenager. This caused him to fail his military pre-induction
physical exam, so he really has to report that, even though several tests as an
adult show that the condition no longer exists.

The FAA first requests a full glucose tolerance test, which turns out normal.
Next, they want doctor's records of the tree incident. When told they no longer
exist, they demand an oral examination by a physchiatrist. Once the results of
that are submitted, they ask for a physchological exam, complete with Rorschach
blots. Once that is submitted, they want a different phsyciatric test. The last
test is so old and obsolete that no-one can be found who knows what it is -
Oklahoma City must be contacted to explain what they want.

At each stage in this procedure, the FAA asks for exactly one test. After each
one, the applicant receives a letter which starts "We cannot approve your
application at this time", followed by a request for the next test.

Each test runs from a one to seven hundred dollars. Evaluation of each test by
the FAA takes about 4 months. Your character might simply give up part way through.

You might also check into "benign positional vertigo." That can be caused by a
sudden head movement, such as would occur if you were rear-ended while driving.
That's another item which would result in this back-and-forth request for tests
followed by submission, followed by a request for additional tests, long after
any symptoms have disappeared.

George Patterson
Old August 18th 05, 04:18 AM
Morgans

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need a medical reason for someone to fail their 3rd class physical. A
character in my story is needing to be rejected for medical reasons,
but whatever is the reason it should not interfer with normal life.
Does a childhood history of epilepsy with no adult events lead to a
medical failure? What else might?

Takes medicine for anxiety, or one of many conditions that would fit well
into your character.

History of occasional kidney stones will do it, also, I believe.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 18th 05, 10:59 AM
Tony

Thanks, everyone. Maybe next year you'll recognize your suggestions in
a best seller (don't I wish!).