Ka6E vs. Ka6CR

Old May 8th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Casto

Default Ka6E vs. Ka6CR

I'm looking to buy a Ka6E but all of the current owners are being stingy
and won't sell. :-( Can anyone give me a comparison b/t a Ka6E and a
Ka6CR?

Also, are there any comparable ships you might consider in lieu of a Ka6E?

Thanks!

Jeff

Old May 8th 12, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:55:13 AM UTC-5, Jeff Casto wrote:
I'm looking to buy a Ka6E but all of the current owners are being stingy
and won't sell. :-( Can anyone give me a comparison b/t a Ka6E and a
Ka6CR?

Also, are there any comparable ships you might consider in lieu of a Ka6E?

Thanks!

Jeff

The E has a little more performance and I think maybe a little more room in the cockpit although I've never flown one. I have flown our clubs CR a few times and it is a joy. The fact that no one wants to sell theirs should tell you that you are looking for a good glider! You might check the segelflug.de classifieds. There are a few E's and CR's listed there, some for pretty low prices which might make it worth paying for shipping. Check the oldtimer and clubklasse categories.

http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas...ults_for mat=

http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas...ults_forma t=
Old May 8th 12, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Jeff,

Bob Gibbons' old Ka-6E is parked in a hangar at the Nampa, Idaho airport.
It hasn't been flown in years. Check your Gmail account for more
information.

Wayne

. com...

Old May 8th 12, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

As well as better performance, the E has much better visibility from the
cockpit.

It came in two versions, long nose and short nose. I think most were long,
and if you are above average height you need that. Even then it is a bit
snug unless you are not too overweight.

The E is a delightful glider to fly. It might no longer be competitive, but
you can have a wonderful time with it.

The BR or CR are nice too (though also snug), and a lot better than
nothing, but IMHO it is worth going the extra mile to get an E, if you can
fit into it and can find an E.

It is also well worth while getting the cushions sorted out so you are
comfortable. My longest flight in an E was 10 ¾ hours and I was not at all
uncomfortable. But it was the result of a lot of trial and error with
energy absorbing cushions to get there.

In his book “Derek Piggott on Gliding”, DP wrote: “Although the K6E
looks rather similar to the earlier K6ir has many improvements. A general
cleaning up of the fuselage, nose and wing root and a far better aerofoil
together with an all-moving stabiliser give it a super performance. .. . .
If you can sit comfortably in the rather small cockpit this is the ideal
glider for your first few years of soaring. . . . I still envy the K6E
owners.”

I only sold mine and went for a modern glider because it needed a major
refurbishment after a rainstorm opened up the trailing edges of the wings
and it was uneconomic to pay for repairs.

Chris N

Old November 25th 14, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I know this is an old thread but maybe somebody has an answer.
I'm thinking about buying another Ka6, possibly even the one I owned previously.
I'm told that late CR's (like my former ship) have the same Wortman wing as the E as they were produced simultaneously.
Anybody got info on this.
Thanx
JM
Old November 25th 14, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:31:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I know this is an old thread but maybe somebody has an answer.
I'm thinking about buying another Ka6, possibly even the one I owned previously.
I'm told that late CR's (like my former ship) have the same Wortman wing as the E as they were produced simultaneously.
Anybody got info on this.
Thanx
JM

There is a KA-6CR that remains to sit in the hanger at Saratoga Springs, NY. E-mail the owner Lee at as he is talking about selling it.
Old November 25th 14, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As a reference, I'm 6'4" and can only fly a CR in bare feet. Fun at first but a little chilly at altitude. My limit is about 2 hours after which my legs start shaking from being folded up and unable to stretch out. I've never flown an E.
Old November 25th 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:31:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I know this is an old thread but maybe somebody has an answer.
I'm thinking about buying another Ka6, possibly even the one I owned previously.
I'm told that late CR's (like my former ship) have the same Wortman wing as the E as they were produced simultaneously.
Anybody got info on this.
Thanx
JM

So many tales and so many variations, even within the models. Here is what I think I know.

The only Ka-6/10 that had a true Wortmann wing is the Ka-10. Later in the Ka-6 production (late Crs, probably all the Es but not sure on this) had a Wortman MOD to the leading edge of the NACA and other family sections. There is a paper published in an OSTIV report on this modification, along with cross sections showing the change at various sing stations. All changes were in the first 1-2 inches of the chord.

When I go back and read the report on the 1964 Nationals, Moffat says that my CrPE (N958Z) is a "pre-production Ka-10 with an untwisted, Wortmann wing.." Well, the spar on the Ka-10 is in a different location than the Ka-6 (much further aft), and mine is in the Ka-6 position. It may be de-twisted, as I have had it out to a bit over 90 MPH and the wing does not bend down towards the tips as planes with lots of twist tend to have the wings do. Flies very nice.

I think the 10 and the E may have been produced side by side for a while, until Schleicher dropped the 10 and only built the E, which they later replaced with the AS-W15. Before that, there could have been mixed production of the Cr and the E. Just not sure.

My CrPE has the all flying tail of the E, as well as the wing root fairing shapes of the E, but with the Cr nose and canopy. Gorgeous planes, all of them.

Steve Leonard
Old November 25th 14, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:55:13 AM UTC-5, Jeff Casto wrote:
I'm looking to buy a Ka6E but all of the current owners are being stingy
and won't sell. :-( Can anyone give me a comparison b/t a Ka6E and a
Ka6CR?

Also, are there any comparable ships you might consider in lieu of a Ka6E?

Thanks!

Jeff

I have about 100 hours in a K-6e and found it a delight to fly. Jeff, since I know you, I am sure you would easily fit into any version of the K-6. The e-model is nicer looking and slightly better performance. Be aware, all K-6 models require entire canopy removal to enter so in the normal TSA winds you will need to watch it when it is on the ground.
Old November 25th 14, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:20:38 AM UTC-8, lynn wrote:
On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:55:13 AM UTC-5, Jeff Casto wrote:
I'm looking to buy a Ka6E but all of the current owners are being stingy
and won't sell. :-( Can anyone give me a comparison b/t a Ka6E and a
Ka6CR?

Also, are there any comparable ships you might consider in lieu of a Ka6E?

Thanks!

Jeff

I have about 100 hours in a K-6e and found it a delight to fly. Jeff, since I know you, I am sure you would easily fit into any version of the K-6. The e-model is nicer looking and slightly better performance. Be aware, all K-6 models require entire canopy removal to enter so in the normal TSA winds you will need to watch it when it is on the ground.

It is my understanding, from I'm not sure where, that the E, CR, and ASW15 were all in simultaneous production. I'm making the assumption that most of the performance improvement in the E would have been from the airfoil upgrade, not the tail so if my old ship has the Wortmann wing, I'd probably opt for it.

Has anybody seen the CR mod with the fairing from the vertical stab to top of fuselage???
Thanx
JM

ka6CR manual pdf format Stuart Kinnear Soaring 0 March 9th 07 02:14 PM
KA6E and Foka 4 comparable metal ships - Laister Nugget LP15 Matthieu Soaring 18 June 7th 05 01:20 AM
FS - Schleicher Ka6CR Scott Soaring 0 October 5th 03 02:34 AM
FS - Schleicher Ka6CR Scott Soaring 2 September 17th 03 01:46 PM
Ka6e vs Foka4 Janos Bauer Soaring 19 July 25th 03 03:35 AM