UAVs - a growing midair concern?

Old April 13th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default UAVs - a growing midair concern?

Why are you flying a glider at 200 ft over a forest?

Thanks

Hartley Falbaum USA

Ridge running?

Mike
Old April 14th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Hi, Hartley,

The use of SkySeer that got my attention was looking for marijuana
patches hidden in forests. These would be in remote forested areas,
but of course would be visible from the air. The camera looks only
down and side to side, it is completely blocked from looking forward
and up. Thus, so as far as I could determine, there is no "see and
avoid" capability.

As Mike said, my concern was the danger this 6 foot wingspan 4 pound
UAV could pose to pilots running ridges. From talking to a police
officer friend I know that people grow marijuana in Pennsylvania, and
there's lots of forests along the ridge system. Further, I was
wondering what pilots should know in general about avoiding midair
collisions with UAVs.

It appears that the method you use to access RAS may not permit you to
see the whole thread. Here's one of the url's from the original post,
which describes the SkySeer: www.sacbee.com/111/story/836413.html

-John

On Apr 13, 8:39 am, "HL Falbaum" wrote:
OK--enlighten me----please.

What is a 4 pound Sky Seer looking for over State Forests? Insect damage
like the Pine Beetle? Fire?
If it does not have super vision what can it see over a forest? What would
it be looking for over a ridge?