A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cambridge file conversions for OLC (yet again)

Old July 2nd 14, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Cambridge file conversions for OLC (yet again)

So, everything was working fine, and the last two flights have not been accepted. In looking at the file that I can download from OLC, it does NOT have the same name as the file I uploaded. Is OLC once again unhappy with Cambridge and kicking out converted Cambridge Model 10/20/25 files? Only other variation is internet via Super 8 Motel. But, it worked for Practice Day, Contest Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3. Has not worked for days 4 and 5.

Anyone else now having Cambridge files bounce? Maybe it is just the sometime painfully slow connection I have here?

Steve
Old July 2nd 14, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Steve,

Just checking - are you using this procedure to prepare the CAI file for upload? http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-CAI-OLC.html It would be a shame if this method was no longer working...

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:59:10 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
So, everything was working fine, and the last two flights have not been accepted. In looking at the file that I can download from OLC, it does NOT have the same name as the file I uploaded. Is OLC once again unhappy with Cambridge and kicking out converted Cambridge Model 10/20/25 files? Only other variation is internet via Super 8 Motel. But, it worked for Practice Day, Contest Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3. Has not worked for days 4 and 5.

Anyone else now having Cambridge files bounce? Maybe it is just the sometime painfully slow connection I have here?

Steve

Old July 2nd 14, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Reekie
external usenet poster

I used this method yesterday and it worked fine

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...=2014&c=UK&sc=

Old July 2nd 14, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:18:07 AM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
Steve, Just checking - are you using this procedure to prepare the CAI file for upload? http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-CAI-OLC.html It would be a shame if this method was no longer working... -John, Q3

Yes, John. I am using it. From looking at the comments in the "thank you for posting" e-mail, it appears that the files may be getting flagged as "invalid" because I have changed the declared task after takeoff? Changed task at the contest, and so I changed the task in the logger, and re-declared the task. If we have an in air change today, I will try just starting the task and not changing the declaration in the logger.

Steve
Old July 2nd 14, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Much as I love the OLC and appreciate the work they do I'm kind of mystified when it comes to how picky it can be when it comes to validating the files. A couple of pilots in my club have dealt with the Cambridge problem over the years. My Colibri battery died making the security seal invalid early last year and none of the flights could be scored until I shipped it away to have the battery replaced and the seal reset. Meanwhile a free app on my damn phone with would produce valid files for the OLC. Doesn't really make much sense.
Old July 3rd 14, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Yea I thought olc was all about free flying anyway. Getting no points for an in flight task change does not jive with that
Old July 3rd 14, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Yep. Declared the task on the ground, no task change in flight, so no new declaration and all is well. I can see that requirement for the BHC points, but just plain old OLC flying? Sheesh. Now I know not to change a declaration in flight if I want OLC points for it!

Minor gripe, really, but good to understand.

Steve
Old July 3rd 14, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Excuse my ignorance, but why all this concern with declaring flights in the logger?

Don't need it for racing

Don't need it for OLC

Don't even need it for badges (paper declaration is safer)

I must be missing something.....

Curious,

Kirk

Old July 6th 14, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

This tool is not necessary but useful.
If you messed with the task in SeeYou, try clicking the "Restore" button in flight properties/task.
Jim
Old July 6th 14, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:47:41 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why all this concern with declaring flights in the logger? Don't need it for racing Don't need it for OLC Don't even need it for badges (paper declaration is safer) I must be missing something..... Curious, Kirk 66

Kirk,

I am just use to stepping through the "Declare task? Yes Start Task? Yes" sequence with the old model 20. When I made the new tasks in flight on those two days, I did the same thing to initiate the task. Now I know not to do that. I won't declare it, I will just start it. And if I have a short power loss in flight, make sure I just resume the task.

Steve