A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Schleicher Power/Solar rotary switch specs?

Old July 3rd 14, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade
external usenet poster

Default Schleicher Power/Solar rotary switch specs?

Hello,

Anyone out there have specs/measurements for the rotary switch that Schleicher installs in their newer gliders, to enable switching between batteries?
(see the lower-left part of the panel in this image, as an example: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../2/1272229.jpg )

Thanks!

--Noel
Old July 3rd 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

I took a switch like that out of a friend's ASW-27. The 6-position switch is made by Marquardt, is model 9030.01 and is labeled 4A 30V DC.

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:11:17 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
Hello,

Anyone out there have specs/measurements for the rotary switch that Schleicher installs in their newer gliders, to enable switching between batteries?

(see the lower-left part of the panel in this image, as an example: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../2/1272229.jpg )

Thanks!

--Noel

Old July 3rd 14, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade
external usenet poster

Thanks, John!

--Noel
Old July 3rd 14, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:26:53 PM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
I took a switch like that out of a friend's ASW-27. The 6-position switch is made by Marquardt, is model 9030.01 and is labeled 4A 30V DC.

-John, Q3

I have yet to find this rotary switch available from a US electronics house like Mouser or DigiKey. If you do find it from an US house, please provide details.

Like rotary switches are available in the EU but by the time and expense you could buy one from Murray at Eastern Sailplane for about the same cost.

For what it's worth, checking the current Marquardt catalog, the only rotary switch currently offered are 3 model number 1703.XXXX somethings.
Old July 3rd 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade
external usenet poster

Yup. I've reached out to Marquardt USA; will post here with into if they get back to me.

I am not after a direct replacement, though... I'm trying to find a make-before-break (or "shorting") switch that fits with minimal changes to the panel or labeling. It's annoying to lose voltage and have avionics reset when switching from one batt to the next! :-P

--Noel

Old July 3rd 14, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

That's exactly why my friend wanted me to change his switch. I put in 2 SPST toggle switches for him - end of problem with rebooting instruments upon switching batteries.

There are make-before-break rotary switches. I've put a a few Cole-Hersee 72171-01 switches for friends. They handle 20A at 12V DC.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:54:58 AM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
Yup. I've reached out to Marquardt USA; will post here with into if they get back to me.

I am not after a direct replacement, though... I'm trying to find a make-before-break (or "shorting") switch that fits with minimal changes to the panel or labeling. It's annoying to lose voltage and have avionics reset when switching from one batt to the next! :-P

--Noel

Old July 3rd 14, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

If you don't mind a slightly used (but perfectly serviceable) rotary switch of this exact model, make me an offer.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:42:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have yet to find this rotary switch available from a US electronics house like Mouser or DigiKey. If you do find it from an US house, please provide details.

Like rotary switches are available in the EU but by the time and expense you could buy one from Murray at Eastern Sailplane for about the same cost.

For what it's worth, checking the current Marquardt catalog, the only rotary switch currently offered are 3 model number 1703.XXXX somethings.

Old July 3rd 14, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:23:10 PM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
That's exactly why my friend wanted me to change his switch. I put in 2 SPST toggle switches for him - end of problem with rebooting instruments upon switching batteries.

There are make-before-break rotary switches. I've put a a few Cole-Hersee 72171-01 switches for friends. They handle 20A at 12V DC.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:54:58 AM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:

--Noel

This Cole-Hersee switch looks perfect and is reasomably priced. How do you know it is a "make contact before break contact" switch?

http://www.partdeal.com/cole-hersee-...-72170-04.html
Old July 3rd 14, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On my SZD-55, I have an 'OLK box' that has a circuit which maintains power when you switch batteries (also indicates when voltage drops to 11.5 v with a yellow LED). My switch to LiFePO means I rarely see that led anymore (Stark from Tom Knauff's). I'd get one on my next glider (should I ever marry money or win the lotto).

Dan
2D
Old July 3rd 14, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Go to this site: http://www.elecdirect.com/product/f2...3feeb9107.aspx Click on the PDF logo under See specs. On the right hand side at the top of the 3rd page of the resulting PDF you'll see "Heavy Duty 20A 12V Part numbers refer to the switch complete with knob. Without illumination. In the diagrams 'On + - 1, + - 2' indicates a + terminal connected to terminals 1 and 2. These switches are make before break."

-John, Q3

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:10:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:

-John, Q3

This Cole-Hersee switch looks perfect and is reasomably priced. How do you know it is a "make contact before break contact" switch?