Schleicher Power/Solar rotary switch specs?

Old July 3rd 14, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Schleicher Power/Solar rotary switch specs?

Hello,

Anyone out there have specs/measurements for the rotary switch that Schleicher installs in their newer gliders, to enable switching between batteries?
(see the lower-left part of the panel in this image, as an example: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../2/1272229.jpg )

Thanks!

--Noel

Old July 3rd 14, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Thanks, John!

--Noel
Old July 3rd 14, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:26:53 PM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
I took a switch like that out of a friend's ASW-27. The 6-position switch is made by Marquardt, is model 9030.01 and is labeled 4A 30V DC.

-John, Q3

I have yet to find this rotary switch available from a US electronics house like Mouser or DigiKey. If you do find it from an US house, please provide details.

Like rotary switches are available in the EU but by the time and expense you could buy one from Murray at Eastern Sailplane for about the same cost.

For what it's worth, checking the current Marquardt catalog, the only rotary switch currently offered are 3 model number 1703.XXXX somethings.
Old July 3rd 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Yup. I've reached out to Marquardt USA; will post here with into if they get back to me.

I am not after a direct replacement, though... I'm trying to find a make-before-break (or "shorting") switch that fits with minimal changes to the panel or labeling. It's annoying to lose voltage and have avionics reset when switching from one batt to the next! :-P

--Noel

Old July 3rd 14, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

That's exactly why my friend wanted me to change his switch. I put in 2 SPST toggle switches for him - end of problem with rebooting instruments upon switching batteries.

There are make-before-break rotary switches. I've put a a few Cole-Hersee 72171-01 switches for friends. They handle 20A at 12V DC.

-John, Q3

Old July 3rd 14, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

If you don't mind a slightly used (but perfectly serviceable) rotary switch of this exact model, make me an offer.

-John, Q3

Old July 3rd 14, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:23:10 PM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
That's exactly why my friend wanted me to change his switch. I put in 2 SPST toggle switches for him - end of problem with rebooting instruments upon switching batteries.

There are make-before-break rotary switches. I've put a a few Cole-Hersee 72171-01 switches for friends. They handle 20A at 12V DC.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:54:58 AM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:

Yup. I've reached out to Marquardt USA; will post here with into if they get back to me.

I am not after a direct replacement, though... I'm trying to find a make-before-break (or "shorting") switch that fits with minimal changes to the panel or labeling. It's annoying to lose voltage and have avionics reset when switching from one batt to the next! :-P

--Noel

This Cole-Hersee switch looks perfect and is reasomably priced. How do you know it is a "make contact before break contact" switch?

http://www.partdeal.com/cole-hersee-...-72170-04.html
Old July 3rd 14, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On my SZD-55, I have an 'OLK box' that has a circuit which maintains power when you switch batteries (also indicates when voltage drops to 11.5 v with a yellow LED). My switch to LiFePO means I rarely see that led anymore (Stark from Tom Knauff's). I'd get one on my next glider (should I ever marry money or win the lotto).

Dan
2D