Excellent TV Piece on GA

Old November 30th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Excellent TV Piece onee GA

but what
he's saying is both accurate

No, it's not. And, more to the point: He has no way of knowing.

Well, I'll give the latter point.

However, simming is an excellent, nearly cost-free way of giving
yourself a cheap aviation "fix". Need proof? Stop by the inn on
Movie Night to see the number of real, live pilots waiting patiently
for their turn on "The Kiwi" -- our full-sized flight simulator.

Especially now that we've got F-16 and F/A-18 aircraft modeled in the
sim! (Kinda hard to get any real stick time in a Viper nowadays, ya
know...)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 30th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

news.verizon.net writes:

For someone who claims to teach English you have a amazing ability to not
comprehend it. He never said his son sacrificed a semester of college.

But he did. The money spent on getting a pilot's license is money that can
never be used for any other purpose, including a semester of college.

If you spend money on flying, there are other things that you cannot spend
money on. The total amount of money cannot change, so you cannot spend it on
one thing without refraining from spending it on another.

Many people may prefer the car or the semester of college, and so they do not
fly.
Old November 30th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Or you can sit in a chair and make airplane noises. That's even less
money, and is just as close to flying.

It is far less realistic than computerized simulation.

No, it isn't.

Can you *really* be so stupid?

Never mind, "Bertie". We've got megabytes of evidence, in your own
words...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 30th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Ivan, it *can* be done without breaking the bank. My son, my wife,
and I are living proof.

What other things have you sacrificed to pay for it? You've just indicated
that your son sacrifced a semester of college education or a car in order to
get his license. It's not free.

Nope, it's not.

But -- as opposed to most of our non-pilot friends -- we don't drive
around in brand new luxury cars, we don't live in a 4000 sq ft
"McMansion", we don't have any credit card debt, and we don't go on
cruises or trips abroad. We have chosen instead to make GA the
centerpoint of our life, both in business and leisure.

Unless you have unlimited money, you have to prioritize your
spending. We have chosen to make flying our top priority, after food
and shelter. If you want to fly bad enough, you do things like that.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 30th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

news.verizon.net writes:

For someone who claims to teach English you have a amazing ability to
not comprehend it. He never said his son sacrificed a semester of
college.

But he did. The money spent on getting a pilot's license is money
that can never be used for any other purpose, including a semester of
college.

If you spend money on flying, there are other things that you cannot
spend money on.

Wow, you should go on mastermind, special subject, the bleedin obvious.

Bertie
Old November 30th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jay Honeck writes:

Ivan, it *can* be done without breaking the bank. My son, my wife,
and I are living proof.

What other things have you sacrificed to pay for it?

What have you sacrificed to live your life in a vacuum?

Old December 1st 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

But -- as opposed to most of our non-pilot friends -- we don't drive
around in brand new luxury cars, we don't live in a 4000 sq ft
"McMansion", we don't have any credit card debt, and we don't go on
cruises or trips abroad. We have chosen instead to make GA the
centerpoint of our life, both in business and leisure.

So you've sacrificed a great deal in order to be able to fly. I suspect that
there aren't many people around who are prepared to make such extensive
sacrifices just for the opportunity to spend a few hours in a small aircraft
once in a while.

Unless you have unlimited money, you have to prioritize your
spending. We have chosen to make flying our top priority, after food
and shelter. If you want to fly bad enough, you do things like that.

Yes, but the problem with GA today is precisely that: you have to want to fly
really, really bad in order to make the sacrifices necessary to do it. There
just aren't that many people who want to fly that badly, and so GA withers.
Old December 1st 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

But -- as opposed to most of our non-pilot friends -- we don't drive
around in brand new luxury cars, we don't live in a 4000 sq ft
"McMansion", we don't have any credit card debt, and we don't go on
cruises or trips abroad. We have chosen instead to make GA the
centerpoint of our life, both in business and leisure.

So you've sacrificed a great deal in order to be able to fly.

Wheras you have nothing to sacifice.

Bertie