GDL 90 on XCSoar

Old November 16th 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default GDL 90 on XCSoar

On 11/10/20 5:57 PM, Davis Chappins wrote:
I'm looking for people to test my translation script from GDL 90 to NMEA so that a Stratux (1090/978 dual band ADS-B in) can connect and display traffic on XCSoar. If there's interest I can post some instructions. You need some experience with configuring XCSoar devices and placing a file on the android from a computer via USB.

I got tired of waiting for XCSoar to natively accept GDL 90 and also Stratux to output NMEA. The script is written in python and runs on the android device connected to the Stratux wifi. I also added in some text to speech to announce traffic when it's near.

In addition, I'm looking to test with other GDL 90 ADS-B receivers. I'm especially curious on the "Foreflight required" devices like Scout/Sentry Mini/Sentry. If anyone has one I can borrow, I'll gladly pay shipping.

Is there any interest?

OK, I tested it at the airport today and would call it a success. From
my hangar door, immediately after starting XCSoar, I had a couple of
ADS-B targets displayed on my Android phone.

I placed the Stratux in the Stemme via suction cups on the inside of the
canopy and towed the glider to the assembly area. While I was
assembling one wing, I heard a voice say, "Traffic! 12 o'clock 700 feet
high.", or something very similar. The aircraft in question had just
taken off. I also saw other aircraft at greater distances on the XCSoar
map screen.

That was enough for me and, to save my phone battery, I terminated
XCSoar. When I went to the cockpit to turn the Stratux off, I found
that it had fallen off the canopy and was laying in the foot well.
Pretty good performance, I'd say.

--
Dan
5J
Old November 17th 20, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Davis Chappins

Christophe,
I looked into the EU version of Stratux but 978 isn't used over there so it disabled that radio. The main branch of Stratux has both 978 and 1090 and is more appropriate for the US.

Dan,
Glad you were able to figure it out and it worked for you. Did you fly with it at all?
I'll create a github later with the files so that anyone can install it.

Old November 17th 20, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 11/17/20 11:54 AM, Davis Chappins wrote:
Christophe,
I looked into the EU version of Stratux but 978 isn't used over there so it disabled that radio. The main branch of Stratux has both 978 and 1090 and is more appropriate for the US.

Dan,
Glad you were able to figure it out and it worked for you. Did you fly with it at all?
I'll create a github later with the files so that anyone can install it.

No, I didn't fly with it. Getting three aircraft hits, plus getting
their ICAO numbers and other information on each, plus getting a
collision warning convinced me that your script works. Since I don't
use Stratux in the Stemme (Trig 22 and TN 70), the gyro (Trig 22 and TN
72), or the C-180 (Garmin GTX-345 and FlyQ), I have no need.

--
Dan
5J
Old November 21st 20, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

Hi Dan,

Did you ever try this with your Dell Streak 5?

Regards

KN

Old November 21st 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Kevin,

No, I did not try it with a Streak, but I don't see why it wouldn't work
unless the program which converts the protocols would not work on the
older Android version on the Streak, 3.2 or thereabouts, my phone runs
version 10, I think.

Dan

Old November 22nd 20, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

I don't think QPython works with my ancient Dell Streak (Android 2.2)

Might try upgrading Android, or use this as an excuse to change my phone!

Kevin

Old November 22nd 20, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 11/22/20 8:35 AM, Kevin Neave wrote:
I don't think QPython works with my ancient Dell Streak (Android 2.2)

Might try upgrading Android, or use this as an excuse to change my phone!

Kevin

At 17:46 21 November 2020, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hi Kevin,

No, I did not try it with a Streak, but I don't see why it wouldn't work
unless the program which converts the protocols would not work on the
older Android version on the Streak, 3.2 or thereabouts, my phone runs
version 10, I think.

Dan

My Streak(s) run Cyanogen Mod 7, which is an Android 3.x.7 version. It
won't run Avare without the external I/O app.

--
Dan
5J

XCSoar and V7 [email protected] Soaring 8 January 17th 14 10:19 PM
CAI-302 and XCSoar Dan Marotta Soaring 7 March 29th 12 09:55 PM
XCSoar in the UK Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 August 10th 09 10:46 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 01:05 AM