A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

COBRA Hydraulic Jack

Old November 20th 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default COBRA Hydraulic Jack

Has anyone replaced the scissors jack on a late 90s vintage COBRA trailer with a COBRA Hydraulic Jack. If so I would appreciate it if you would share any details about the switch.

Thanks,

Bill
Old November 21st 20, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 2:42:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Has anyone replaced the scissors jack on a late 90s vintage COBRA trailer with a COBRA Hydraulic Jack. If so I would appreciate it if you would share any details about the switch.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Not what you asked, but this is R.A.S. after all...

If the reason you are replacing is frustration with the cheap scissors jack and ungainly handle, consider a ratchet-driven scissors jack like this one. https://modernspare.com/product/3000...contact-point/

I got one of these in a spare tire kit for my tow vehicle, and it's a pretty slick piece of kit. It still suffers from the geometry issue inherent with the scissors design, but this one is very easy to to crank and could easily be made with a clip to hold the handle on the frame of the ramp.

Otherwise, I'd just write Spindelberger. They're super responsive and helpful and deal just fine in English.

P3
Old November 21st 20, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz Gehlhaar
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 11:42:35 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Thanks,

Bill

Ours came installed with a Hydraulic Jack, I suspect it is Cobra. We have no problem with it. Not much help to your question but this is R.A.S. after all...
Heinz
Old November 21st 20, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

This is an aside (but this is RAS after all) but I had to replace my (original?) leaky hydraulic jack and found that the bottle in the small floor jack from Harbor Freight is IDENTICAL. Wonders never cease.
Old November 21st 20, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 12:53:27 AM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
This is an aside (but this is RAS after all) but I had to replace my (original?) leaky hydraulic jack and found that the bottle in the small floor jack from Harbor Freight is IDENTICAL. Wonders never cease.

I made a complete hydraulic system for my Cobra from off-the-shelf parts from McMaster Carr. If interested, I can send a parts list and photos to your e mail address. Mine is listed above. You will need a drill press and other aluminum metal-working tools (I have a band saw, but a hack saw will do the work too) and some mechanical building experience. If you have those, the total cost will be about $200 and a day's worth of labor. But then you will have a hydraulic jack for your Cobra trailer.
Old November 21st 20, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 11:42:35 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Thanks,

Bill

To answer Bill’s question................it’s a snap, :30 minutes wrench time! I propped up the rails, pulled two bolts, out with the old, in with the new. They seem to go out when the ship reaches about 1000 hours which equates to the life limit of the cheap pump!
JJ
Old November 21st 20, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
carbonprop[_2_]
external usenet poster

http://glidersource.com/cgi-bin/post.cgi?id=1624
Old November 22nd 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 8:37:40 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I made a complete hydraulic system for my Cobra from off-the-shelf parts from McMaster Carr. If interested, I can send a parts list and photos to your e mail address. Mine is listed above. You will need a drill press and other aluminum metal-working tools (I have a band saw, but a hack saw will do the work too) and some mechanical building experience. If you have those, the total cost will be about $200 and a day's worth of labor. But then you will have a hydraulic jack for your Cobra trailer.

I would very much like to see this parts list. Thanks.

PS - I cannot see your email address "above" in Google Groups version of RAS.
Old November 22nd 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 6:36:14 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω
On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 8:37:40 AM UTC-6, Jay Campbell wrote:

I would very much like to see this parts list. Thanks.

I've already tried to post this once so apologies if this is a duplicate. With Jay Campbell's permission, I've put the photos and BOM for his intriguing DIY hyraulic fuselage jack up on a shared drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...On?usp=sharing

Chip Bearden
JB
Old November 22nd 20, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

I think Cobra has now changed to a vertical acting jack like what John has. On at least some trailers.

Steve Leonard