A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Panel face blanks

Old April 18th 19, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

Default Panel face blanks

Any recommendations on where to buy premade panel face blanks? Or someone who can make on for me? Looking for a blank panel face for Grob 102 Astir CS

Thanks!
Old April 19th 19, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 1:35:56 PM UTC-6, soaringjac wrote:
Any recommendations on where to buy premade panel face blanks? Or someone who can make on for me? Looking for a blank panel face for Grob 102 Astir CS

Thanks!

Do you have your old panel? I might be able to make a blank off your old panel.
Old April 19th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 3:35:56 PM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:

Thanks!

This works AOK. Make a new aluminum panel overlay and attach it to the "skeleton" of your original panel. Use poster board to duplicate your original panel footprint. Make it so it barely covers the radius edge of origination panel and fits inside any glare shield or surroundings. Transfer template to .125 aluminum and lay out new panel as desired. Once new aluminum panel is "perfect", "hollow out" your old glass panel face up to the edges leaving attachment "ears". New panel just bolts to the attachment "ears". I've done this using only a hand-held jig saw, good hole saws, a drill press, and sharp files. Much easier than molding one out of glass.
Old April 19th 19, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 7:44:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:
...Transfer template to .125 aluminum...

I would recommend thinner material; I think 0.050" or 0.063" 6061-T6 would be perfectly adequate. But even so I think the best thing would be to pan-mold a fiberglass replacement from a tracing or molding of the original.

--Bob K.
Old April 19th 19, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 3:35:56 PM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:

Thanks!

This works AOK. Make a new aluminum panel overlay and attach it to the "skeleton" of your original panel. Use poster board to duplicate your original panel footprint. Make it so it barely covers the radius edge of origination panel and fits inside any glare shield or surroundings. Transfer template to .125 aluminum and lay out new panel as desired. Once new aluminum panel is "perfect", "hollow out" your old glass panel face up to the edges leaving attachment "ears". New panel just bolts to the attachment "ears". I've done this using only a hand-held jig saw, good hole saws, a drill press, and sharp files. Much easier than molding one out of glass.

Aluminum panels can be a meaningful risk of leg injury in an accident. I would suggest any modification be done in fiberglass.
UH
Old April 19th 19, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 3:43:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Aluminum panels can be a meaningful risk of leg injury in an accident.
I would suggest any modification be done in fiberglass.

....with a well-rounded edge into a strong flange...
Old April 25th 19, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec
external usenet poster

I had mine laser cut from 3mm black on white plastic by an engraver, they cut the instrument holes perfectly as well, and it was fairly cheap if you supply accurate drawings.