Panel face blanks

Old April 18th 19, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Default Panel face blanks

Any recommendations on where to buy premade panel face blanks? Or someone who can make on for me? Looking for a blank panel face for Grob 102 Astir CS

Thanks!
Old April 19th 19, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 1:35:56 PM UTC-6, soaringjac wrote:
Any recommendations on where to buy premade panel face blanks? Or someone who can make on for me? Looking for a blank panel face for Grob 102 Astir CS

Thanks!

Do you have your old panel? I might be able to make a blank off your old panel.
Old April 19th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 3:35:56 PM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
Any recommendations on where to buy premade panel face blanks? Or someone who can make on for me? Looking for a blank panel face for Grob 102 Astir CS

Thanks!

This works AOK. Make a new aluminum panel overlay and attach it to the "skeleton" of your original panel. Use poster board to duplicate your original panel footprint. Make it so it barely covers the radius edge of origination panel and fits inside any glare shield or surroundings. Transfer template to .125 aluminum and lay out new panel as desired. Once new aluminum panel is "perfect", "hollow out" your old glass panel face up to the edges leaving attachment "ears". New panel just bolts to the attachment "ears". I've done this using only a hand-held jig saw, good hole saws, a drill press, and sharp files. Much easier than molding one out of glass.
Old April 19th 19, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 7:44:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:
...Transfer template to .125 aluminum...

I would recommend thinner material; I think 0.050" or 0.063" 6061-T6 would be perfectly adequate. But even so I think the best thing would be to pan-mold a fiberglass replacement from a tracing or molding of the original.

--Bob K.
Old April 19th 19, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Aluminum panels can be a meaningful risk of leg injury in an accident. I would suggest any modification be done in fiberglass.
UH
Old April 19th 19, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 3:43:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Aluminum panels can be a meaningful risk of leg injury in an accident.
I would suggest any modification be done in fiberglass.

....with a well-rounded edge into a strong flange...
Old April 25th 19, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

I had mine laser cut from 3mm black on white plastic by an engraver, they cut the instrument holes perfectly as well, and it was fairly cheap if you supply accurate drawings.

The New Face Of Terrorism B-Hate-Me Aviation Photos 12 June 5th 07 12:17 AM
FAA does about-face on Age 60 issue Kingfish Piloting 4 February 3rd 07 01:19 AM
Face plate KMA 20 Doc Stafford Owning 2 September 26th 06 04:12 AM
Fan Face Blockers? tffy Military Aviation 0 May 4th 04 12:00 AM
Face-recognition on UAV's Eric Moore Military Aviation 3 April 15th 04 03:18 PM