Engine analyzers

Old October 6th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default Engine analyzers

karl gruber wrote:

Because all the experienced LOP users do the BRP, and then enrichen to
desired max CHT.

Karl, what about Tornado Alley's recommendation to use turbo inlet
temperature, which is enrichen to peak TIT, then lean back to 50-100
degrees lean of peak TIT?

Would that not be considered an alternate method used by experienced LOP
operators?

--
Peter
Old October 6th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Andrew Gideon wrote:

P.S. I still want to know the answer to my original
question: why does one cease using "lean find"?

In the case of my JPI EDM-800, the unit does not have the firmware update
that includes a lean-find for lean of peak operations. Its lean-find
feature is only for rich of peak operations.

To answer your question, if I had a lean find I could see myself not using
it after awhile since I have come to know what temperatures and fuel flow
result in 65 to 75% horsepower, or optimal lean of peak operations.

Thus, it is faster for me to simply pull the mixture to a safe lean of peak
turbo inlet temperature, let the airspeed and fuel flow stabilize for a few
minutes, then adjust the mixture to the optimal TIT. Optimal TIT plus fuel
flow results in cooler CHTs in my aircraft.

--
Peter
Old October 6th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Matt Barrow wrote:

How about this one?
http://www.buy-ei.com/EI_MVP-50_Glas...or_Display.htm

IMO, the JPI's EDM930 display seems cleaner and easier to spot crucial
information.

--
Peter

Old October 6th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

karl gruber wrote:

On a turbo engine

My mistake. I didn't see that this thread was limited to normally
aspirated engines.

--
Peter
Old October 6th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

To answer your question, if I had a lean find I could see myself not using
it after awhile since I have come to know what temperatures and fuel flow
result in 65 to 75% horsepower, or optimal lean of peak operations.

This is exactly correct. After you've used the engine analyzer for a
while, you learn to lean to specific EGT/CHT and fuel flow. Then you
can fine-tune things until you reach the Holy Grail, which (in our
normally-aspirated O-540) is to get the EGTs within 70 degrees of each
other.

The bar graph is a wonderful display for engine management, BTW,
enabling you to instantly assess things at a glance. If all the bars
ain't lined up, you know it's time to fiddle with something.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:10:52 -0400, Peter R. wrote:

In the case of my JPI EDM-800, the unit does not have the firmware update
that includes a lean-find for lean of peak operations. Its lean-find
feature is only for rich of peak operations.

I fly behind carbs; not injectors. So ROP operations are pretty much all
I have available to me.

To answer your question, if I had a lean find I could see myself not
using it after awhile since I have come to know what temperatures and
fuel flow result in 65 to 75% horsepower, or optimal lean of peak
operations.

If I understand this correctly: Lean Find helps a pilot learn the
temperatures. Once they're known, it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Is that correct?

We just repaired some broken probes in the one multi-cylinder monitor in
our partnership's fleet (although it's a poor monitor: displaying only one
temperature at a time, and no obvious graphics for a rapid visual "scan").
I'm eager to see what can be done with all six cylinders' data showing.

- Andrew

Old October 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman

Andrew Gideon wrote:

I fly behind carbs; not injectors. So ROP operations are pretty much all
I have available to me.

Having a carb does not explicitly mean you can't do LOP operations.

I fly behind a carb as well. I can do LOP operations, but it takes a bit
more fiddling to make it smooth. Dinking with the carb heat was one thing
I found that tended to smooth things out. I also can't quite get as far
LOP as some people running the larger FI big bore engines. 15-20 degrees
LOP is about as far as I can get it. How successful you are depends on
your particular plane, not wether or not it is carbed.

Ya gotta remember the first LOP operations were in the large radials and
they were all carbed.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old October 6th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Andrew Gideon wrote:

If I understand this correctly: Lean Find helps a pilot learn the
temperatures. Once they're known, it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Is that correct?

As I don't use the LF feature, I can only speculate. But Jay's comments
seem to imply this is indeed true.

--
Peter
Old October 6th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Frank Stutzman wrote:
snip

Ya gotta remember the first LOP operations were in the large radials and
they were all carbed.

sig snip

Yup, but most of them also had a big impeller between the carb and the
jugs that tended to stir up/even out the mix before it went bang...

TC

Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
What if the germans... Charles Gray Military Aviation 119 January 26th 04 11:20 PM