Traffic calls that may surprise you

Old August 20th 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Traffic calls that may surprise you

"Speedbird 204, traffic your two o'clock, one mile, FL350, giant vulture with
3-meter wingspan, report in sight":

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-feet/109062/1
Old August 21st 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Mxsmanic wrote:
"Speedbird 204, traffic your two o'clock, one mile, FL350, giant
vulture with 3-meter wingspan, report in sight":

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...ir-traffic-con
trol-beware-of-giant-vulture-at-35000-feet/109062/1

They got the following video footage of it - quite impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sKGz-hQ0yg
Old August 21st 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

On 8/20/2010 5:41 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
"Speedbird 204, traffic your two o'clock, one mile, FL350, giant vulture with
3-meter wingspan, report in sight":

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-feet/109062/1

Hmmm lessee: it takes me 10 seconds to say that warning: if an aircraft
is going maybe M0.86 oh let's say 600 mph - by the time the pilot looks
out, the bird is almost a mile behind. Hopefully a 5 mile warning would
be better - but things are really hard to see at that distance....

Old August 21st 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

On 8/20/2010 6:22 PM, Jim Logajan wrote:
wrote:
"Speedbird 204, traffic your two o'clock, one mile, FL350, giant
vulture with 3-meter wingspan, report in sight":

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...ir-traffic-con
trol-beware-of-giant-vulture-at-35000-feet/109062/1

They got the following video footage of it - quite impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sKGz-hQ0yg

Loved the movie clip. So realistic! :-)

Old August 21st 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jim Logajan writes:

They got the following video footage of it - quite impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sKGz-hQ0yg

That must be an elder relative of this vulture. Here it is in public
performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2KaCPUFok
Old August 21st 10, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
anthony

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-air-traffic-c...

Hmmm lessee: it takes me 10 seconds to say that warning: if an aircraft
is going maybe M0.86 oh let's say 600 mph - by the time the pilot looks
out, the bird is almost a mile behind. Hopefully a 5 mile warning would
be better - but things are really hard to see at that distance....

My favorite caution happened at AVP (Scranton PA) a bunch of years
ago. If memory serves I was #2 and ready. The SEL ahead of me took off
and reported to the tower there was a turtle crossing the runway a
thousand feet from the threshold.

The tower said something like "Thank you. Ah, Mooney XXX, position and
hold, caution wake turbulence behind crossing turtle traffic."

Among the real concerns at AVP, by the way, are not turtles but deer
on the runway, especially at night. That at least was true years ago,
it may be that problem is under control now.
Old August 21st 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bug Dout

Well, I would love to have a recording of ATC calls when not one, but
TWO airline pilots sighted Lawn Chair Larry at 16,000 feet over the LA
basin.
--
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Plato
Old August 22nd 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

*wrote:
"Speedbird 204, traffic your two o'clock, one mile, FL350, giant
vulture with 3-meter wingspan, report in sight":

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...ir-traffic-con
trol-beware-of-giant-vulture-at-35000-feet/109062/1

They got the following video footage of it - quite impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sKGz-hQ0yg

Loved the movie clip. So realistic! * :-)

Quite fitting statement considering who started this thread :-)
Old August 23rd 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Richard[_11_]

On Aug 20, 7:24*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
On 8/20/2010 5:41 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:

"Speedbird 204, traffic your two o'clock, one mile, FL350, giant vulture with
3-meter wingspan, report in sight":

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-air-traffic-c...

Hmmm lessee: it takes me 10 seconds to say that warning: if an aircraft
is going maybe M0.86 oh let's say 600 mph - by the time the pilot looks
out, the bird is almost a mile behind. Hopefully a 5 mile warning would
be better - but things are really hard to see at that distance....

But only practical if the vulture has his transponder on.