TBO Questions O-200

Old September 30th 03, 03:06 AM
Carl Orton

Default TBO Questions O-200

I'm getting conflicting information, so pitch in to set me straight.

In the archives, I've seen several instances where owners have claimed
taking their O-200's over 3000 hrs before overhaul. I believe that with
regular oil analysis, this could probably be true. HOWEVER, I've seen other
posts hinting that, at annual, the AI may not sign off as airworthy if it's
more than 200 hrs over TBO. What's realistic? (I'm looking at a plane with
good compressions and good oil analysis, but it's right at TBO).

Also, at what year was O-200 TBO increased from 1800 hrs to 2000 hrs? And,
does that increased TBO apply to all the older engines?

Thanks;
Carl

Old September 30th 03, 03:14 AM
Dave

Engine hours is not a factor for an annual inspection on a part 91 aircraft!
If the IA will not sigh it off, get a new IA
Good compressions, oil pressure and your comfort determine how long an
engine should stay on the aircraft.

Dave

Old September 30th 03, 02:53 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Carl Orton wrote:

Also, at what year was O-200 TBO increased from 1800 hrs to 2000 hrs?

I don't think it was.

George Patterson
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
good fortune to run into the ones I like, and the eyesight to tell the
difference.
Old September 30th 03, 11:55 PM
John Galban

"Carl Orton" wrote in message ...
I'm getting conflicting information, so pitch in to set me straight.

In the archives, I've seen several instances where owners have claimed
taking their O-200's over 3000 hrs before overhaul. I believe that with
regular oil analysis, this could probably be true. HOWEVER, I've seen other
posts hinting that, at annual, the AI may not sign off as airworthy if it's
more than 200 hrs over TBO. What's realistic? (I'm looking at a plane with
good compressions and good oil analysis, but it's right at TBO).

I have knowledge of a few clubs that took their O-200s to 2500-3000
hrs. Major factors were that the planes were flown several hours per
day and used autogas (no lead problems with valves).

A few years ago there was one insurance underwriter that would not
renew with an engine past TBO. I've heard of some AIs that wouldn't
sign off a past TBO engine that otherwise had no problems. In both
cases the solution is to find a different underwriter/AI. The engine
is going to wear out eventually, so it'll be up to you to determine
what you're comfortable with. There's no regulatory reason to overhaul
at TBO.

My AI recommends that I continue to run past TBO with oil analysis.
1st time anything expensive comes up, overhaul it.

Also, at what year was O-200 TBO increased from 1800 hrs to 2000 hrs? And,
does that increased TBO apply to all the older engines?

As far as I know, the O-200 TBO is still 1800 hrs.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old October 1st 03, 02:35 AM
Carl Orton

Hmmm... I was wondering about that 2000 hr figure. I saw a few C-150's for
sale that said something like "1750 SMOH, 2000 TBO".

I've been unable to find anything on the aviation sites about the alleged
increase in TBO, so I thought I'd ask the collective experts here.

Thanks for setting me straight!
Carl

Old October 1st 03, 03:16 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Carl Orton wrote:

Hmmm... I was wondering about that 2000 hr figure. I saw a few C-150's for
sale that said something like "1750 SMOH, 2000 TBO".

The Cessna 152 has a 2000 hour TBO on the O-235. Perhaps that's what you saw.

Old October 1st 03, 06:32 AM
J. Severyn

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Carl Orton wrote:

Hmmm... I was wondering about that 2000 hr figure. I saw a few C-150's

for
sale that said something like "1750 SMOH, 2000 TBO".

The Cessna 152 has a 2000 hour TBO on the O-235. Perhaps that's what you

saw.

And if the O235-L2C on the 152 or 'Tommyhawk' is rebuilt with the right
parts it then gets a 2400 hour TBO.
O200 is still 1800 to my recollection.
John Severyn
@LVK

Old October 1st 03, 01:19 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:35:22 -0500, Carl Orton wrote:

Hmmm... I was wondering about that 2000 hr figure. I saw a few C-150's for
sale that said something like "1750 SMOH, 2000 TBO".

The TBO is 1800 hours. There are many people who do get more than that
out of them, but many more do not.

From what I can gather, most assume 1500 hours before a major needs to be
done, and if you go beyond it's good. The biggest factor in reaching or
exceeding TBO is how often you fly it, so fly it all the time and you'll
make TBO, fly it once a month and you may not. Environment also affects
TBO as well, so that's one of the other reasons you'll see some listed as
being so far beyond TBO.

But, no matter how you dice it, TBO is 1800 hours max. The 152 could have
at most 2400 hours, but you had to do something to the engine to gain the
additional hours. I'm not sure, but I think it had to have different
pistons? Somebody would know for sure, I don't since I fly behind an
o-200 myself and am only familar with it.