PowerFLARM portable: rechargeable battery recommendations

Old February 1st 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ursus

Default PowerFLARM portable: rechargeable battery recommendations

We have run various tests with high temperatures rechargeable
batteries and PowerFLARM.
I will spare you from the details, but the conclusions a

1)
Recharging must take place in an area where the ambient temperature
does not surpass 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35C) as otherwise the PF
charging circuit will refuse to charge to prevent overheating.

2) Best rechargeable batteries to use (by far !) a
Sanyo XX Battery Powered by eneloop, 2500mAh High Capacity, Ni-MH
http://tinyurl.com/PF-rechargeables

Make sure they are the XX 2500mAh type, Sanyo/eneloop also sells lower
capacity AA's

With these batteries we have repeatedly measured runtimes of over 9h
at 70C (158 F) ambient with full backlight.

We will update the manual accordingly.
Please also remember that PowerFLARM does not charge the batteries
when it is turned on.

See you all soon!
Urs
FLARM
Old February 1st 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Not really on topic (sorry) but I want to reiterate how impressed I am
with the performance of my PowerFlarm, so far testing it playing
chicken in two golf carts and flying with it in my power plane.

While fitting the mounting bracket in my glider (ASH26E), I managed to
drop the PF bending the Flarm antenna fitting off to the side about
1/8". Pushed it back straight and it sort of snapped back into place.
Still, since the antenna fitting is circuit board mounted, I decided
to disassemble and check for internal damage. Note, this breaks the
seals and voids stuff, so don't try this at home - - once upon a long
time ago I was a Navy electronics tech, so even lots of wiring smoke
doesn't faze me. No internal damage and antenna connector checked good
too.

From the outside, boxy design, I half expected the interal components
to be a bit kluged - - you know, a wire or component tacked on here or
there to make up for a goof in the initial design, that sort of thing.
What I found was most impressive high quality construction throughout.
Nicely engineered and constructed. So, the PowerFlarm we waited so
long for has been, IMO, well worth the wait. Just don't drop it on a
concrete hangar floor.

bumper

PowerFLARM Portable - Firmware Update Available - Mode C Traffic Now Supported Paul Remde Soaring 24 January 22nd 12 01:50 AM
FS - Powerflarm Portable Westbender Soaring 0 January 9th 12 09:21 PM
PowerFLARM Portable Units in Stock Paul Remde Soaring 0 December 16th 11 02:54 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 09:32 AM
PowerFLARM Portable mount option DaleKramer Soaring 11 October 20th 10 03:45 PM