Preliminary planning for AK flight

Old March 4th 05, 03:04 PM

Default Preliminary planning for AK flight

Hey all... I saw the other post on a "long x-c" and figured I'd throw this in
for thought (and not hijack his thread). One of my plane partners and I are planning
to fly to Alaska this upcoming summer. I'm from there, and have driven the Alaska
highway a number of times, but he's never been there. Thus, he's got no idea how far
it *really* is...

I'm planning on running through the AOPA's "How to fly to Alaska" info, but I
figured I'd get some preliminary info from those here who may have done it. Relevant
info:

Plane: PA-28-180 (We're not in that much of a hurry)
Departu Southwest Virginia
Destination: Juneau, AK... possibly excursion up north to interior (Fairbanks, etc)
Approx straight-line distance: 3000nm

I plan on flying more or less like driving... i.e. a few long days during the
boring 2/3 of the trip (OH, IN, IL, WI, IA, MN, ND, SK, AB), and then slow down a bit
for the interesting parts. Do most people follow the highway up from BC, YT and
beyond?

My folks will be in Juneau at the time, so the destination is a "home-base."
Most likely fly in via White pass and Skagway if the weather permits. Well aware of
the bad weather issues of SE-AK, but not necessary as relating to light GA flight. I
figure it will be clear (ha ha!), or high VFR scud to get down the pass and the
channel. I don't think a Cherokee's up to IFR into Juneau.

Anway, I figured I'd get some prelim thoughts from others. Sounds like a
great adventure, and I hope to be celebrating the completion of my degree.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 4th 05, 07:08 PM

I plan on flying more or less like driving... i.e. a few long days

during the
boring 2/3 of the trip (OH, IN, IL, WI, IA, MN, ND, SK, AB), and then

slow down a bit
for the interesting parts. Do most people follow the highway up from

BC, YT and
beyond?

I followed the highway from BC. It generally has much better
weather than either the trench or coastal routes.

My folks will be in Juneau at the time, so the destination is a

"home-base."
Most likely fly in via White pass and Skagway if the weather permits.

Well aware of
the bad weather issues of SE-AK, but not necessary as relating to

light GA flight. I
figure it will be clear (ha ha!), or high VFR scud to get down the

pass and the
channel. I don't think a Cherokee's up to IFR into Juneau.

This is a real tough one. Going from Whitehorse to Skagway via White
Pass can be iffy at best when VFR. Even when VFR conditions are being
reported on both sides, White Pass is often socked in. Sometimes for
days on end. If you are IFR capable and the conditions are right (no
freezing, reasonable winds) that might be your best bet.

I used White Pass (VFR) several times to get back and forth to
coastal destinations and let's just say it's a good thing I didn't have
to be anywhere at a specific time. Each time I either had to go over
the top and look for a hole on the other side, or slog through the
marginal VFR under the deck and close to the rocks. The local pilots'
definition of "the pass is open" is probably a lot different from that
of most pilots.

FWIW, I never once made it on time for Customs inspection in Skagway.
Customs is not onsite at the airport. They send someone out from the
highway station. If you're a few minutes late, they leave and you have
to call them back out when you arrive. Apparently, this ticks them
off.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 4th 05, 08:02 PM

: I followed the highway from BC. It generally has much better
: weather than either the trench or coastal routes.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Besides, I know the highway, and it'd be
cool to see it in "accelerated" mode vs. driving. I just remember it being a helluva
long way between Laiird River and Laiird hotsprings (by road). I would think the
Alaska style of "camping wherever" isn't that uncommon, either.

: the bad weather issues of SE-AK, but not necessary as relating to
: light GA flight. I
: figure it will be clear (ha ha!), or high VFR scud to get down the
: pass and the
: channel. I don't think a Cherokee's up to IFR into Juneau.

: This is a real tough one. Going from Whitehorse to Skagway via White
: Pass can be iffy at best when VFR. Even when VFR conditions are being
: reported on both sides, White Pass is often socked in. Sometimes for
: days on end. If you are IFR capable and the conditions are right (no
: freezing, reasonable winds) that might be your best bet.

Yeah, the pass is ugly, even on a good day. I figure worst case (given we
want to get into Juneau for some King crabbing) would be to have the backup plan of
leaving the plane in Whitehorse and figuring a way to take the ferry in. I'm IFR
capable, but having lived in Juneau I know how ugly the terrain around the airport is.
Aside from the fancy D-GPS pioneered by AK airlines (that only they can use), I think
that that the only thing I could fly would be a VOR/DME. Something like 1500' mins,
and 8500' MSA IIRC. Running the gauntlett down Gastineau channel doesn't sound like a
good plan in a Cherokee.

: I used White Pass (VFR) several times to get back and forth to
: coastal destinations and let's just say it's a good thing I didn't have
: to be anywhere at a specific time. Each time I either had to go over
: the top and look for a hole on the other side, or slog through the
: marginal VFR under the deck and close to the rocks.

Ughh... giving me willies already. Mountains are big enough there that it'd
have to be a pretty *big* hole to come down through. Easy to pull a "box canyon"
accidentally through a small hole.

The local pilots'
: definition of "the pass is open" is probably a lot different from that
: of most pilots.
Most assuredly. Something about old/bold pilots is especially true in SE-AK.

: FWIW, I never once made it on time for Customs inspection in Skagway.
: Customs is not onsite at the airport. They send someone out from the
: highway station. If you're a few minutes late, they leave and you have
: to call them back out when you arrive. Apparently, this ticks them
: off.

Which brings up an interesting point... is White Pass or coming down
Haines-way better for flying? I haven't gotten far enough to look at a chart or
anything yet.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 4th 05, 08:04 PM
Montblack

("jgalban" wrote)
snip
FWIW, I never once made it on time for Customs inspection in Skagway.
Customs is not onsite at the airport. They send someone out from the
highway station. If you're a few minutes late, they leave and you have
to call them back out when you arrive. Apparently, this ticks them
off.

What's the skinny on carrying a gun when flying in Alaska?

Regs or recommendation?

Montblack

Old March 4th 05, 09:49 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Montblack" wrote in message
("jgalban" wrote)
snip

What's the skinny on carrying a gun when flying in Alaska?

Regs or recommendation?

Inside Alaska? I don't think the state requires a permit even for concealed
carry of handguns, and IIRC the state laws used to require carrying a rifle
or shotgun as part of survival supplies on commercial air taxis, though they
now only stipulate "reasonable supplies" or something like that. I think the
real issue is crossing in and out of Canada. Long guns properly secured and
declared shouldn't pose a problem but I don't think the customs guys will
take nicely to handguns.

-cwk.

Old March 4th 05, 10:06 PM
Montblack

("Colin W Kingsbury" wrote)
snip
I think the real issue is crossing in and out of Canada. Long guns properly
secured and declared shouldn't pose a problem but I don't think the customs
guys will take nicely to handguns.

I thought this was an issue until recently, when there was one of those
letters of understanding things issued between the two countries - since to
get to Alaska from the Lower 48, flying through (or into) Canada sometimes
happens.

Montblack

Old March 4th 05, 10:22 PM
jsmith

I remember driving from Glacier to the International Peace Park in 1981.
At the border checkpoint, the Canadian Customs officer was searching the
car.
We watched as his eyes opened wide and his body went stiff as he was
feeling under the drivers seat.
Inquiring what was wrong, he replied in a disappointed tone that he
thought he had found a handgun under the seat, only to learn that the
pistol grip and trigger were attached to a bottle of Windex.

Old March 4th 05, 10:33 PM
ET

"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in
nk.net:

"Montblack" wrote in message
("jgalban" wrote)
snip

What's the skinny on carrying a gun when flying in Alaska?

Regs or recommendation?

Inside Alaska? I don't think the state requires a permit even for
concealed carry of handguns, and IIRC the state laws used to require
carrying a rifle or shotgun as part of survival supplies on commercial
air taxis, though they now only stipulate "reasonable supplies" or
something like that. I think the real issue is crossing in and out of
Canada. Long guns properly secured and declared shouldn't pose a
problem but I don't think the customs guys will take nicely to
handguns.

-cwk.

I've heard horror stories from the RV (campers) crowd of whole RV's
being confiscated when a gun was found. I think I would Fedex my gun to
AK if I needed it....

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old March 4th 05, 10:57 PM

Montblack wrote:

What's the skinny on carrying a gun when flying in Alaska?

Regs or recommendation?

There have been changes in both Alaska's and Canada's regs since I
went up. 5 yrs. ago, Canada had no problem with pilots taking a long
gun (IIRC 36+ ") on their way to Alaska. I read a few years ago that
they would be requiring either a multi-day "gun safety" class or you
can waive that by paying a fee for each firearm. I can't say for sure
whether or not that policy became a reality. Anyone made the trip
recently?

Alaska regs no longer require you to carry a firearm, but they highly
recommend it (as do I). I took a 12-gauge with slugs. The regs still
do require you to carry a detailed list of survival gear.

John Galban====N4BQ (PA28-180)