gpa a factor after graduation?

Old November 21st 03, 07:05 AM
sibersmith

Default gpa a factor after graduation?

Hey guys it's me again.

How big of a factor is GPA in getting a good aerospace job at a cool
company? The line "...Do good in school" is always given in advice
when I was growing up. To tell the truth I was holding a decent
3.3gpa untill I hit my math sequence at college. Now I have no more
'breeze' classes (history etc) to prop up my gpa and it's killing me.
I'm problobly around a 2.3 now.

This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?
Old November 21st 03, 02:03 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
(sibersmith) writes:
Hey guys it's me again.

How big of a factor is GPA in getting a good aerospace job at a cool
company? The line "...Do good in school" is always given in advice
when I was growing up. To tell the truth I was holding a decent
3.3gpa untill I hit my math sequence at college. Now I have no more
'breeze' classes (history etc) to prop up my gpa and it's killing me.
I'm problobly around a 2.3 now.

This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

Well, having done both the Good GPA thing, and the Bad GPA thing, it's
always better to go for the Good GPA. But don't take that as a sign
of failure. You're young yet - it looks monstrous now, but, if you
can make the right decisions, it's a hiccup rather than a barrier.
It's all in how you handle it.

Think of it as a test of haw hard you want to follow that path.
You've got a wide range of options available to you - you can take
classes again, find tutoring sessions, ask for assistance, and
otherwise concentrate your efforts in areas where you need to get up
to speed. Are you committed to some sort of timetable for graduation?
Stretching things out a bit might help.
It can be done, it you're committed enough, and push hard enough.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old November 21st 03, 04:28 PM
Tarver Engineering

"sibersmith" wrote in message
Hey guys it's me again.

How big of a factor is GPA in getting a good aerospace job at a cool
company? The line "...Do good in school" is always given in advice
when I was growing up. To tell the truth I was holding a decent
3.3gpa untill I hit my math sequence at college. Now I have no more
'breeze' classes (history etc) to prop up my gpa and it's killing me.
I'm problobly around a 2.3 now.

This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

If you had dragged down your gpa with general ed you might have some wiggle
room, but all those cs and ds in math and engineering courses probably mean
you should look outside engineering for a job.

Old November 21st 03, 04:54 PM
Tex Houston

"sibersmith" wrote in message
This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

If this is an example of your work you might put in some extra hours of
study in English. Just using a spellchecker would help.

This is not a criticism per se but is given to you to show that the whole
package is important. Peter's advice is very sound. That said, are you
planning to design military aircraft?

Tex Houston

Old November 21st 03, 05:11 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

sibersmith wrote:

Hey guys it's me again.

How big of a factor is GPA in getting a good aerospace job at a cool
company? The line "...Do good in school" is always given in advice
when I was growing up. To tell the truth I was holding a decent
3.3gpa untill I hit my math sequence at college. Now I have no more
'breeze' classes (history etc) to prop up my gpa and it's killing me.
I'm problobly around a 2.3 now.

This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

I don't know about the US practice when it comes to GPAs, but learning
to do math well isn't any different in the US than anywhere else.
Being good at math is not just a question of having a `knack' for it or
not. There is a lot you can do about your ability to comprehend and do
math by working really hard. Learning to do math at a high level simply
takes a lot of hard work (except for super geniuses, and there aren't
too many of those). Talk to people about the math problems you have
difficulty with. Spend a lot of time in the library. If your lecture
notes aren't clear enough, try to learn more about the problem by
looking at other textbooks. Prepare well _before_ you go to a lecture or
class, and of course practice, practice practice. There is no such thing
as doing too many exercises.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old November 21st 03, 05:15 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"sibersmith" wrote in message
This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

If this is an example of your work you might put in some extra hours of
study in English. Just using a spellchecker would help.

Nope, the low math grades pretty well disqualify him from engineering.
There are plenty of places where he could make a good living with the 2.3,
however. The only thing that would help is if he is one of those "worked
through school". If family paid, or there were loans, forget engineering.

This is not a criticism per se but is given to you to show that the whole
package is important. Peter's advice is very sound. That said, are you
planning to design military aircraft?

Peter has no clue at all.

Old November 21st 03, 05:19 PM
OXMORON1

Who was it woh said..."The world is run by C students" or something to that
effect?

Oxmoron1
Old November 21st 03, 05:36 PM
Tarver Engineering

"OXMORON1" wrote in message
Who was it woh said..."The world is run by C students" or something to

that
effect?

C students that worked their way through school often lack the time to pull
good grades, but know how to work. The ability to work can cause an
employeer to soon forget about gpa.

Old November 21st 03, 05:51 PM
James Cho

As important as High School GPA is in being accepted to colleges, from
what I've heard. A Career Services person here at ERAU said that an
LM guy in charge of hiring looks for at least a 3.0 GPA, and prefers
at least 3.3.
Old November 21st 03, 06:02 PM
Tarver Engineering

"James Cho" wrote in message
om...
As important as High School GPA is in being accepted to colleges, from
what I've heard. A Career Services person here at ERAU said that an
LM guy in charge of hiring looks for at least a 3.0 GPA, and prefers
at least 3.3.

That way LM gets all white collar type engineers, none of whom have ever
worked. This can be problematic in aerospace, as piloting is an inherently
blue collar activity. (ie operating equipment)