New CFI

Old August 20th 05, 01:01 AM
Peter Duniho

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
You've got the reference to the Chief Counsel's opinion on this? Please
cite URL so I can read it for myself.

You can look up your own Chief Counsel opinion, or better yet write them
yourself. This has been discussed numerous times here. On one recent
instance, Jim Burns posted a number of relevant entries from the
quasi-official Part 61 FAQ. You can find that post he

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...7?dmode=source

The FAQ quotes the FAA from the preamble to Parts 61 and 141, which reads in
part: "With respect to the holding of medical certificates by a flight
instructor, the FAA has determined that the compensation a certificated
flight instructor receives for flight instruction is not compensation for
piloting the aircraft, but rather is compensation for the instruction".

It goes on to explain the various regulations, and why all this means you
are not exercising your Commercial Certificate when instructing.

Pete

Old August 20th 05, 01:06 AM
RST Engineering

Robert ...

That, unfortunately, is not true. 61.183 (c) (2) says that you have to have
an instrument rating *OR* privileges on that person's pilot certificate
appropriate to the rating sought.

For example, if I wanted to apply for a CFII, I would have to have the
instrument rating. If I wanted to apply for a CFI SEL, I would have to have
a commercial with a SEL rating on it -- no instrument.

Having said that (irregardless of the illiterate bonehead in here who has
neither a CFI or a commercial) if you get a commercial rating without an
instrument ticket, you are limited to working within 50 miles of your home
base AND no night commercial activities.

Now, whether that carries over to charging primary students for cross
country and night flight is not yet fully answered.

And, yes, you DO have to have a commercial ticket to charge students for
instruction.

My wife had her CFI years before she got her instrument ticket ... CFI-G
doesn't require the instrument, nor does the Commercial glider.

Jim
CFI A&G, CGI B, Commercial A&G, A&P/IA
other stuff not worth mentioning.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

All CFIs are instrument rated. You must hold an instrument rating in
order to apply for a CFI certificate.

Old August 20th 05, 01:25 AM
Peter Duniho

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
[...]
Now, whether that carries over to charging primary students for cross
country and night flight is not yet fully answered.

It has been fully answered. It doesn't.

And, yes, you DO have to have a commercial ticket to charge students for
instruction.

No, you don't.

Pete

Old August 20th 05, 03:10 AM
cjcampbell

There may be nothing wrong with a new CFI, depending on who taught him.
Obviously, experience has to be worth something and if they both charge
the same rate then go with the more experienced one.

Old August 20th 05, 05:13 AM
Robert M. Gary

RST, I thought we were talking SEL, not glider. CFI SEL DOES require an
instrument rating.

" If I wanted to apply for a CFI SEL, I would have to have
a commercial with a SEL rating on it -- no instrument. "

No, 100% not correct, you MUST hold an instrument rating or an ATP in
order to take you initial CFI checkride for airplane or helicopter.
Gliders are a different discussion.

-Robert, CFI

Old August 20th 05, 05:14 AM
Robert M. Gary

But you do have to have a commerical or ATP ticket to show up for your
CFI checkride.

Section 61.183: Eligibility requirements.
(c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport
pilot certificate with:

-Robert

Old August 20th 05, 05:49 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
But you do have to have a commerical or ATP ticket to show up for your
CFI checkride.

So what? The eligibility requirements for the CFI have nothing to do with
the requirements for exercising the privileges of the CFI.

Old August 20th 05, 01:50 PM
Jim Burns

There was a time that this was not true, and although I don't know a CFI
that does not have an instrument rating, I ALMOST know one. Mine... He
came back from Vietnam and under the GI bill worked on first his private,
then commercial, then CFI. He was getting ready for the CFI checkride and
they changed the rule, stating that in order to take the ride he required an
instrument rating. He got discouraged and never did it. Finally, about 15
years ago, he got busy and did the IR and then the CFI.

My father in law, also a Vietnam era Vet, did the same thing,although he
stopped at commercial, he said CFI came next and instrument was after the
CFI.

Just one instance, and a history lesson more than anything, but there could
be some SEL CFI's out there without instrument ratings.
Jim Burns

Old August 21st 05, 08:01 PM
Robert M. Gary

I'm not sure what you are trying to day. The fact is that there are no
CFI-Airplane instructors that are currently eligible to teach in
aircraft that do not have an instrument rating. If you believe you know
of a FSDO that is issuing CFI's to pilots w/o an instrument rating,
please post the name of the FSDO.

-Robert

Old August 21st 05, 08:11 PM
RST Engineering

And I'm not sure who you are talking to without at least a word or two of
the prior message.

Jim