towing a sailplane trailer / vehicle

Old October 30th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ryanglover1969[_2_]

Default towing a sailplane trailer / vehicle

Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

Thanks, Ryan
Old October 30th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 29, 9:38*pm, ryanglover1969 wrote:
Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

Thanks, Ryan

My son uses an Outback as a tow car and it works just fine.
No issue with transmission if used properly.
With 4 cylinders, ya gotta stay in the right gear, then it's fine.
Good Lick
UH
Old October 30th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ryanglover1969[_2_]

On Oct 29, 7:00*pm, wrote:
On Oct 29, 9:38*pm, ryanglover1969 wrote:

Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

Thanks, Ryan

My son uses an Outback as a tow car and it works just fine.
No issue with transmission if used properly.
With 4 cylinders, ya gotta stay in the right gear, then it's fine.
Good Lick

That's good to hear. Is his Outback manual or Automatic? Thanks, Ryan
Old October 30th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
valsoar

On Oct 29, 9:38*pm, ryanglover1969 wrote:
Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

Thanks, Ryan

I have a 4 cylinder 2003 legacy and have towed my glider both locally
and on longer trips such as from CT to Virginia (Newcastle) with no
problems. It tows great, plenty of power for the job. I have a manual
transmission.
Old October 30th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Oct 29, 9:38*pm, ryanglover1969 wrote:
Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

Thanks, Ryan

Depends what you are towing !
Old October 30th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Oct 30, 2:38*pm, ryanglover1969 wrote:
Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

I've got a '95 2.5l Legacy 250T (Touring, not turbo) with automatic
transmission. It tows just fine, including a Grob Twin Astir from
Auckland to Wellington (http://hoult.org/bruce/Subaru_with_TA.jpg) and
a Blanik on a very heavy open trailer. SIngle seaters are of course
easy.

The engine is absolutely fine with towing, but it does seem to be
important for the transmission temperature to either drive fast enough
that the torque converter goes into lock-up mode most of the time (75
- 80 km/h with Twin Astir on the back), or else take the advice in the
manual to put it into 3rd gear, not 4th.

Early 90's Legacy RS sedans (2.0 turbo) have been possibly the most
popular tow vehicles in our club with serious pilots.
Old October 30th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

A 4 cylinder can tow just fine. I towed a Pegasus from Idaho to
Kansas with a Toyota Celica. Picked up a DG202 in Kansas and towed it
back Idaho. The same Toyota (different driver) towed an empty
trailer to Georga and picked up another DG202 and towed it back to
Idaho.

We did 65-70 MPH most of the way and with good trailers it was
perfectly stable.

Brian
Old October 30th 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

As Dave said, it depends on what you're towing.
For a start, whatever it is had better have trailer brakes.
I had a Nimbus 3 in a Pfeiffer trailer, and towed it with 3
vehicles:
00 Subaru Outback 2.5L manual.
96 Chevy Tahoe V8 auto. (purchased before the Nimbus trailer had
brakes)
97 Holden Commodore V6 auto.
Without a doubt, other than starting on a hill the Outback was the
best tow vehicle. High winds weren't much of a factor. The Tahoe by
comparison was awful in windy conditions, not that it handled well at
any time compared to the Subaru. The Tahoe V8 with automatic was nice
for stop and go traffic but big V8 engines and automatic transmissions
are a waste otherwise.
The Outback also towed LS-6, Libelle, AS-W20, AS-W27, AS-H26E. All
in Cobra Trailers, all felt great.
Outback fuel economy was 23MPG (US Gallon) towing at 65 to 70MPH
with the AC on. Without a trailer, it's a fun car to drive. Expect
26MPG at 80MPH with AC on. Excellent in snow. Not bad in the dirt, but
replace the factory "skid plate" with something real.
However, the Outback has a weakness other than the infamous head
gaskets. The viscous clutch in the transfer case gets too hot towing
heavy trailers. The AS-H26E and Mojave Desert combination did it in.
Had the Outback for 10 years. Was going to replace it with a 3.0L
Outback (unfortunately only available with automatic) but found out
the transfer case is the same. The replacement, an 08 RAV4 V6
automatic tows very well and isn't too thirsty, but I miss the
Outback's handling and manual gearbox.
Bottom line: If it's 15M span or new generation 18m pure glider in a
good trailer, you'll love the Subaru.
Jim

Old October 30th 09, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message
,
ryanglover1969 writes
Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

Thanks, Ryan

I live in the UK and have no problems towing a 15m glider in a metal
trailer. Fuel consumption suffers a bit, but so long as the trailer is
correctly loaded it is just fine. My car is a 4-cylinder manual diesel,
not a truck or a 4WD. Thankfully the tow ball isn't that high on the
car - if it was the back of the trailer would be rather close to the
ground.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
Old October 30th 09, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Oct 29, 9:38*pm, ryanglover1969 wrote:
Hello all. I am looking to buy a new vehicle, mainly for work related
reasons. Something like an AWD Subaru Outback would be perfect for
work.

So I'm wondering what you all have to say about towing my sailplane
trailer with a Subaru Outback, which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. That's
the issue I need answered. Would a 4 cylinder do the job? Or would it
tear up the transmission.

I don't want a lager vehicle for MPG reasons.

Thanks, Ryan

Another plug for Subies: many thousands of miles towing with WRX
hatchback (2.0L turbo / 5 speed manual). 150K on this car and it
still goes like a rocket.

-T8

trailer towing - going rate US? Gary Emerson Soaring 0 August 21st 08 02:38 PM
Motorhome towing a glider trailer tmlkbr Soaring 11 May 14th 08 06:44 AM
:-)) Trailer towing safety Michael McNulty Soaring 1 August 16th 03 04:15 AM
Trailer towing safety CH Soaring 9 August 13th 03 05:45 PM
Glider trailer towing Jeff Landfield Soaring 0 July 21st 03 04:25 AM