Twit filtering

Old January 2nd 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Default Twit filtering

For what it's worth I did a Google search on our friendly MI5twit and it
seems he is a well know delusional paranoid and the British government
agency he is screaming about doesn't give a rats ass about him and odds
are would like him to shut up as much as we do. I skimmed over a couple
of his messages looking for things to filter on and it's pretty obvious
that he's out to lunch; the uni-bomber made more sense.

For us Thunderbird users there isn't much we can do to filter him out as
TB doesn't support wild cards in the filter string. According to one of
the developers this twit as caused increasing pressure for this feature
and the next version is supposed to support more filtering options. I
don't know if other mail readers give much better twit filter support
but odds are if they don't, the publishers of these programs are likely
getting flack for it.

I've started adding the first server he's using to the from filter in
TB's newsgroup filter. I only got a couple of his last barrage so I'm
hoping it's working. There may be some collateral damage with this
approach but I can live without a few posts from the UK. It seems this
twit is known to search newsgroups for chatter about him to get ideas on
how to beat the twit filters. hopefully this message flies under his radar.

In an odd ironical way, the mi5twit is doing us a favor by getting twit
filtering on newsgroup readers improved.

Tony

Old January 2nd 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
steveukman

I guess I need to move off receiving daily digests and use a news
reader.

I was back in the Ewe-Kay (filter that!!!!) over the Holidays. You
are correct, our friends at Thames House have more important things to
worry about. The real laugh is that the very effectiveness of the
organisation he rants about to preserve our freedom is what allows him
the freedom to rant.

Anthony W wrote:
For what it's worth I did a Google search on our friendly MI5twit and it
seems he is a well know delusional paranoid and the British government
agency he is screaming about doesn't give a rats ass about him and odds
are would like him to shut up as much as we do..........- Hide quoted text -

Old January 3rd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

steveukman wrote:
I guess I need to move off receiving daily digests and use a news
reader.

I was back in the Ewe-Kay (filter that!!!!) over the Holidays. You
are correct, our friends at Thames House have more important things to
worry about. The real laugh is that the very effectiveness of the
organisation he rants about to preserve our freedom is what allows him
the freedom to rant.

We have fools like that over here too. Personally I'm looking forward
to the next release of Thunderbird...

Tony
AKA Geezer
Old January 4th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Maybe MI5 can simply take him out. Problem solved

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old January 5th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
William Hung[_2_]

On Jan 2, 4:23*pm, Anthony W wrote:
[...]

Looks like he's been IDed. I got this from rec.aviation.military.

The MI5 poster:
His name is Mike Corley, he is an IT professional but alas he has
mental health issues. Here are some details about Mike Corley.
He lives in London, UK. He first began his postings to usenet, BBS,
and forums in 1995, unsurprisingly first to alt.conspiracy.

He has his own website:
http://www.five.org.uk/

"There have been numerous newspaper articles and online thesis
about Mike's postings, this is a BBC article on the subject:"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A164404

"And amongst many other covers of the Mike Corley phenomenon
there has been a modern opera about this usenet legend:"
http://www.thecorleyconspiracy.com/

The problem is amplified by posters who reply to Mikes X-post floods
without snipping, and without removing the crossposts.
But also Mike Corley sets "follow-up" groups to his MI5 posts, this is
where he hasn't actually posted to a specific group but it's listed as
"follow-up" in the crossposts, the lusers who reply, their posts show
up in groups that Mike wants flooded.
Mike Corley has set uk.misc as follow-up to all his posts, (which I've
removed) it gets flooded with the replies, and of course the
X-posting. Mike Corley has been doing this since 1995, and he knows
what he is doing, he avoids killfiles/plonk/block by morphing and
using pay-as-you-go dial-up. Filters rarely have an effect as in this
example, if you set the criteria as "MI_5", then the flood morph to
"MIfive" or whatever. He dosen't post
via google dispite the headers, nor are the email addies valid, he
dances between proxy servers such as altopia etc, filtering has no
effect.
The simple rule with Mike Corley floods is to ignore and not to reply.
Mike will take his medication and eventually stop.....until the next
time. But if lusers do the foolish and reply/x-post/fail-to-snip,
then Mike Corley sticks around. So don't spam your pointless replies
across dozens of groups.

Wil