Best soaring site in USA?

Old January 18th 04, 05:18 AM
Martin Hellman

"James" wrote in message
om...
I can't believe no one has nominated SOAR TRUCKEE yet

A couple of points I'd add on Truckee:

1. I haven't flown there in a couple of years, but when I did, they
had a bunk house right next to the runway where you can bunk for $5 a
night. You needed to bring your own sleeping bag, but it was
comfortable and made soaring VERY affordable. One three day trip I
made there cost me $100 for tows and lodging: $30 a day for a tow,
which allowed me to stay up as long as I wanted, and $10 for two
nights in the bunk house (actually I slept right outside on the lawn,
using an air mattress I brought - great night sky!). I belonged to a
club at the time so my dues covered "rental" of the glider.

2. Soar Truckee does not have many (any?) ships available for non-dual
rental. It is primarily for owner-pilots or instruction/rides.

3. While the last time I flew there, the staff had changed recommended
procedures in a good way, it doesn't hurt to add to the warning about
not landing short on 19. When I got my club checkout at TRK, the
fellow doing it (Emil Kissel for those of you who know him) drove me
around the airport and down to the base of the "cliff" that is the
approach end of 19. Looking up at it from the bottom gave me a much
better sense of its danger than looking down from the top -- or even
worse on final in a glider (where it looks like a minor grade). Prior
to an accident that seriously injured another, very experienced club
member and I think totalled his glider, there had been more emphasis
on touching down ASAP so you could taxi your glider off the runway at
an exit taxiway. After the accident, I heard much more about "There's
a lot of runway. Don't be afraid to use it. We'll come get you with
the golf cart." Even if no one tells you that, think that way!

Since someone has also mentioned Telluride, let me add a warning there
too. I and three others flew in there in the summer of 2002, but were
fortunate to have a local pilot as our host. The wind was something
like 12 kts out of 150, only 40 degrees off the runway. Since our
ships can easily handle a 15 kt x-wind component, that didn't sound
like any problem. But our friend had checked the winds and asked the
Unicom to tell us to divert to Montrose since that was too much wind
from that direction. Given the topography, SW winds create rotor on
the runway even at speeds like that. There are other issues that you
need to know about as well, like the bowl shaped runway (1.9% slope
downward in each direction til you come to the middle of the runway).
Bottom line: If I were planning to fly into Telluride, I'd want to
first consult with an experienced local pilot.

Hope this is helpful.

Martin
Old January 18th 04, 06:54 PM
Renny Rozzoni

As one considers outstanding locations to soar in the US, I believe
one should really add Moriarty, New Mexico to the list. Moriarty has a
lot to offer the soaring pilot including:
1. The area offers great soaring weather and truly outstanding thermal
soaring from April to October with cloudbases often found at 16-18K
(The Moriarty airport is at 6,200 feet)and thermals of 6-8 knots being
very, very common.
2. Very nice wave in the fall and winter months is generated off the
Sandia and Manzano mountains.
3. Excellent routes for long cross-country flights are well known with
minimal airspace "issues."
4. There are plenty of safe land-out areas and the typical altitudes
normally achieved during a normal X-C, give the pilot plenty of range
to reach airports, ranch strips, etc.
5. Sundance Aviation operates 7 days a week and is an outstanding FBO
dedicated to supporting soaring at Moriarty. Tows, instruction and
rentals are available. Moriarty is also home to the Albuquerque
Soaring Club.
6. Two glider repair facilities are located right on the field
(Applebay Aviation & Enchantment Aero) should your ship need any
repair work!
7. The US Southwest Soaring Museum is curently under construction in
Moriarty on Old Route 66 and it will soon be open to the public with
exhibits and numerous historic gliders on display! There are plenty of
very nice hotels and restaurants in town and the airport is just 2
miles from downtown Moriarty.
8. The "Land of Enchantment" offers a lot to the visitor. In addition
to very friendly people, NM offers many cultural and historic
attractions found in: Albuquerque (30 miles West), Santa Fe (40 miles
North)and Taos (100 miles North). The high-desert scenery is great
with the Sandia and Manzano mountains to the West and the Sangre de
Christo mountains to the North.
9. Finally, as many folks found out at the "Lift 2000" SSA Convention
in Albuquerque, there is nothing like the outstanding New Mexican
food! All you will have to do is decide if you want the "red or green
chili..."
Regards,
Renny Rozzoni
Albuquerque, NM
Old January 18th 04, 08:07 PM
Tim Ward

"Renny Rozzoni" wrote in message
om...

9. Finally, as many folks found out at the "Lift 2000" SSA Convention
in Albuquerque, there is nothing like the outstanding New Mexican
food! All you will have to do is decide if you want the "red or green
chili..."
Regards,
Renny Rozzoni
Albuquerque, NM

Renny, lots of places have chili of one sort or another, but New Mexico has
probably the best thing to go with it -- sopapillas!
Butter and honey -- ummm!

Tim Ward

Old January 18th 04, 09:37 PM
Dan Dunkel

I created a Web site to display the pictures that I took at Soar Truckee
last summer. http://home.earthlink.net/~dandunkel/ It will give you an
idea as to why I love the place--and the people.

-Dan

"James" wrote in message
om...
I can't believe no one has nominated SOAR TRUCKEE yet
http://www.soartruckee.com . Situated only five miles from Lake Tahoe
(and about 20 mi as the glider flies from Minden) it offers the BEST
soaring with strong thermals, decent wave, views of Lake Tahoe and the
Sierra Nevada mountains that cannot be matched. It is a challenging
airport to land at with density altitudes often at 8-9000 feet, a
cross wind that comes up in the afternoon, a narrow runway with runway
lights, and a 400' drop off before threshold. But hey, if you can fly
TRK you'll have the confidence that you can truly fly anywhere.

Many pilots drive 4 hours from the San Francisco Bay area every
weekend to TRK. Yes, it is that good. There is a camp ground among
the beautiful pine trees next to the airport where many pilots keep
camper trailers throughout the soaring season. Every Saturday evening
after the day's flying there is a great BBQ...no hot dogs and
hamburgers but tri-tip, ribs, fish, steak, etc. Finally, the staff at
SoarTruckee, especially Joe and Samantha run a first-rate operation.