And now on to the 1-26

Old January 12th 04, 06:28 PM
Jim Buckridge

Default And now on to the 1-26

Hey all,

Just got my rating last month. Next time I'm at the field I think
I'll be getting into a 1-26 for the first time.

I'm nervous about flying a new ship. Is it like driving someone
else's car for the first time?

Any stories (serious and/or anectodal) on transitioning to a one
seater appreciated :-)

Jim
Old January 12th 04, 07:12 PM
Scott Correa

Grab a chute and sit in one for a while.
Figure out where the hard spots
that poke your body are ahead of time
and do something about them before you fly.
Make sure you fit well and can reach everything.
Bring a towell to wipe the silly ass smile off your face.

Scott.

om...

Old January 12th 04, 07:14 PM
Scott

I transitioned from an L-13. Before slipping into the new cockpit, my
instructor had me fly a Grob 103 twin to get the feel of a touchy sailplane.
Compared to the L-13, the 1-26 is a lot more agile and sensitive to stick
movement. Even after 20 hours in it this summer, I still put my wrist on my
leg and only wrap three fingers around it for tow up. It is a lovely plane
to fly, though it wont get you anywhere very fast.

I definitely reccomend being good at spin recovery practice before hopping
in, though. It has a real tendency to spin off when fully banked in a strong
thermal.

that's my two coppers.

Old January 13th 04, 12:05 AM
DGRTEK

You sound like a guy in my club! The replies have hit all the words of wisdom
on your first transition flight.

If you pay attention on your initial tow roll out and keep your elbow on your
thigh you won't find yourself bouncing up and down like a ball. Just don't get
high on the towplane or slam yourself into the ground!

Take a 3-5K tow and get the feel for how it handles... Take some straight
ahead stalls. Practice slow flying you can get her Really Slow. Pay attention
to how it will drop a wing in a stall.

The view of the Horizon will be different than your used to. You really have
to point the nose down to get her up to pattern speed 55mph.

Before you hit pattern, play with the air brakes...they work. Landing is not a
problem, just remember you're sitting closer to the ground than in the 2-33 so
the flair is a bit different.

The 1-26 is a well balanced fun ship to fly, enjoy it!

After a few flights you'll be hitting the classifieds looking for a ship to
partner into.

Douglas

Old January 13th 04, 01:04 AM
BTIZ

on top of everyone else's comments.. have whom ever signs you off in it..
yes.. some/most insurance companies will require you to get signed off..
cockpit check..

have someone hold the tail to the "landing attitude",, and to the tail on
the ground attitude.. and back to the landing attitude.. look far down the
"runway" as if landing and study the sight picture..

remember what the POH says.. short final.. round out about 45mph and 1/3
spoiler.. hold the attitude and let it land..

which model 1-26, the A,B, C model the spoiler is on a cable, figure out how
far to pull for 1/3 deployment. The D, E model, has a regular lever handle,
find a mark on the canopy rail that equates to 1/3 and see what you get.

ohh.. no one has told you.. but if you rapidly close the spoilers on round
out.. you'll jump up into the air about 10feet and have to start the landing
round out all over again.. just stabilize.. and work it down from there.

ohh... one more thing... 1-26s are FUN !!! we let our solo students go in
the 1-26 to free up the 2-33 for dual. It has the same glide L/d as the 2-33

BT

Old January 13th 04, 05:05 AM
Borislav Deianov

Jim Buckridge wrote:

Just got my rating last month. Next time I'm at the field I think
I'll be getting into a 1-26 for the first time.

A few things I wish somebody had told me before my first flight in my
club's 1-26:

- You can trim it for any speed less than stall speed. Basically, it
almost stalls with the trim all the way forward. This makes the trim
useless. The good thing is that you don't really need it, the stick
forces are so light. The bad thing is...

- You need a lot of forward stick pressure during the tow. You can't
trim it out because of the above. Not really a big deal but it gets a
bit tiring on a long tow. The trick with keeping your elbow on your
leg helps. And you have to pay attention, otherwise it's very easy to
balloon if you get distracted.

- The rollout is *noisy*. I got a bit freaked out at first (my other
experience at the time being mostly in Blaniks). It gets even noisier
if/when you put the skid down. It's just the way it is.

- The rollout is *short*. Even shorter after you put it on the
skid. Keep that in mind if you need to exit the runway in a specific
spot.

I've flown only one 1-26, no idea if any of the above will apply to
yours. Have fun with it. Not much performance but a blast to fly.

I'm nervous about flying a new ship. Is it like driving someone
else's car for the first time?

Yeah, except you can't just go slowly until you get used to it :-)

Boris
Old January 15th 04, 04:55 AM
David R.

Jim, I soloed in a Grob-103 and then a 1-26 was my first single seater.
I'll always remember my instructors last words of advice before my first
flight: "In the pattern, if it looks good: YOU ARE TOO LOW"

Other than that, it pretty much flew like a glider.

dave r.

Old January 15th 04, 01:26 PM
c1rrus

First time in a single seater is going to be exciting, even if it is
uneventful.

Best advice I got when I strapped my Cirrus on for the first time was -
remember all the good advice, but don't forget to fly the plane first.

You should be able to handle whatever happens fairly comfortably. I only
started feeling at home somewhere after 15-20 flights.

Bruce
Old January 15th 04, 05:25 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:26:24 +0200, c1rrus
wrote:

First time in a single seater is going to be exciting, even if it is
uneventful.

Sometimes it can be more public that you're really like. My first
single seat flight, in an Junior, was winched from in front of the
grid during a Gransden Regionals. Fortunately I didn't do anything too
stupid....

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK