airbrake position while tied outside

Old January 18th 04, 05:25 PM
CK

Thanks for the posts - and the patience! Two last questions on straps
to tie down. It seems logical the press to release type strap could
possibly come loose, but it is a bad idea to use rachet straps? I
have nice eyebolts that screw into the bottom of the wings for tiedown
(I think that is what they are for...) and would accomidate the hook
quite well. I was looking in a local supply store, and they have a
variety of rope breaking / working strength - if rachet straps are a
bad idea, what breaking / working strength would work?

Thanks again!
CK
Old January 18th 04, 05:49 PM
Vaughn

"CK" hv2flyG@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
- if rachet straps are a
bad idea, what breaking / working strength would work?

I like ratchet straps (tightened judiciously) with two caveats: 1) The
cheaper straps weaken very quickly when exposed to weather and sunlight, and
2) Those wide open hooks could fall free from an eye if your tie ever got
loose enough, leaving you with a glider that is not tied down. You may be
able to prevent this somewhat by "customizing" the hook, squeezing it almost
closed in a vise.

Vaughn

Old January 18th 04, 07:38 PM
Mark James Boyd

I think rain is likely, I use some 2" foam pipe insulation that is
split lengthwise, place it over the spoilers, then use a bungey on the
spoiler handle to pull the spoilers down against the foam. The foam
seals the gap.

Someone mentioned boards with insulation or aluminum to spoil the
lift. I'm a bit worried about damage to the surfaces. I
was thinking that some foam "hollow column shape" wrapping,
cut in half and put along the leading edge, might work for
this. Has anyone tried any of these three (boards, aluminum,
leading edge)?

Old January 18th 04, 07:42 PM
Eric Greenwell

Vaughn wrote:
"CK" hv2flyG@yahooDOTcom wrote in message

- if rachet straps are a
bad idea, what breaking / working strength would work?

I like ratchet straps (tightened judiciously) with two caveats: 1) The
cheaper straps weaken very quickly when exposed to weather and sunlight, and
2) Those wide open hooks could fall free from an eye if your tie ever got
loose enough, leaving you with a glider that is not tied down. You may be
able to prevent this somewhat by "customizing" the hook, squeezing it almost
closed in a vise.

Even better is to use hooks with a spring-loaded lever that prevents the
hook from coming off the tie-down, no matter how loose it gets. I've
seen many of the strap type tie-downs that had loosened, so I wouldn't
trust a plain hook.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old January 18th 04, 07:47 PM
Eric Greenwell

Chris OCallaghan wrote:

Ah, what would life be without a controversy? Here's some conflicting
information to digest.

Open spoilers are rain catchers. Closed spoilers are not completely
sealed. If it rains, water will dribble in. If it rains hard and long,
the spolier box will slowly fill and at some point begin to spill
through the control rod access hole into the wing.

Solution, leave the spoilers closed and tape the seams. Or better yet,
get a set of wing covers.

Rain is the major disadvantage of tying down with the spoilers open. If

Old January 18th 04, 09:12 PM
Mark Navarre

This thread has pretty much run out, but I thought I would state that, if you
must tie down outside and expect high winds, four tiedown points on the wings
(in addition to tow hook and tail) are better than two, and if the only inboard
location on the wing happens to be inside the spoiler box, use what you got. I
use this location on my ship when tying down overnight on wave days (it's
easier to tie down than derig in 20+kts wind!), but know that I must vacuum the
sand and gravel out of the bottom of the spoiler box in the morning. It's
amazing how large of a grit size the wind will make fly two or more feet off
the ground, especially considering it comes from beyond the edge of our paved
ramp 300 feet away where the dirt ends. The spoilers are only held open less
than 1/4 inch with my setup, which consists of a large metal hook that goes
around the chordwise pivot in the spoiler box, then a 2" wide strap to get over
the LE of the wing, then rope attached to the strap for ease of knot tying.
The spoiler cap closes on the strap and traps the hook in place even if the
rope becomes loose.
As an aside, if there is an insurance claim for wind related ground damage, the
insurance company will only want to know if the aircraft was "tied down" and
what it was tied down to, they are not likely to deny the claim if you used
three ropes where five was needed. But you might be unpopular with the owners
of the other aircraft that yours flipped over on top of!
Ropes with non-slip knots, tied up tight against the rings or cables at both
ends, beat ratchet or cam-lock straps for simplicity and durability, and if
they do loosen in the wind, there is no hardware to flap around and trash your
gelcoat or paint.
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA
-
Old January 19th 04, 05:18 AM
bumper

You may be aware, but screw in eyebolts lose a substantial amount of their
rated strength if the load angle in increased beyond about 30 degrees. Also,
if the tie down comes off the eyebolt at an angle, and unless the eyebolt
has a relatively large shoulder, you will end up with bent screws and/or
damage to the surrounding composite in high winds.

My Stemme was shipped with eyebolts with felt washers to "protect" the
surface. This is exactly *not* what you want! The felt will compress and the
bolt will bend. Better is a large mylar, nylon or similar washer to protect
the surface. Make sure the eyebolt is good and snug and keep the tie down as
perpindicular to the wing as possible.

all the best,

bumper

Old January 19th 04, 10:08 AM
Kevin Neave

Ah, what would life be without a controversy? Here's
some conflicting
information to digest.

Seems a shame to spend all that money on a trailer,
then not use it !

:-)

Kevin

Old January 19th 04, 02:34 PM
CK

Wouldn't want to get the trailer dirty? ;o}

CK