Oshkosh 2005 pictures up

Old August 12th 05, 05:17 AM
Dave Stadt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote

Don't know any logistical details but it would appear they buy matching
tents by the dozen. They do know how to have a good time.

You know, if a gang regularly went to OSH camping, they could get all of

the
stuff they need every year, and rent one of those small climate controlled
storage units, and just go and get their stuff when they get there, and

put
if back when they leave. It would be a good way to have a lot of luxury
stuff, without having to deal with shipping, or packing every year.

Sound like a good idea?
--
Jim in NC

It already happens to some extent. Folks with campers and the right
connections have been known to store on the grounds or in one of the exhibit
buildings 51 weeks a year. If you are a serious volunteer it might just
help the situation along iffen you know what I mean.

Old August 12th 05, 05:34 AM
John Clear

In article QmVKe.19169$084.4075@attbi_s22,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Wow, that's almost creepy, Jim. Mary and I were just talking about how
great it would be if someone would build a gazillion of those stupid storage
units (basically glorified miniature garages) on Wittman Field.

Why build them?

There are companies that bring portable storage units to you, and then
store them away for you.

I see these things URL:http://www.pods.com/about/features.aspx all
over the local (NoCal) area. A two car garage isn't enough to hold
all the junk I guess. I'm sure there is something similar around
OSH. If not, you can always rent a shipping container.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old August 12th 05, 05:51 AM
RST Engineering

When we were commercial exhibitors, EAA would store our booth from year to
year in the commercial exhibit buildings (which are absolutely empty) for a
hundred bucks or so. A group going to EAA (ask me, I'll find the right
path) that wants to store stuff from year to year ought to be able to do it
for a couple of hundred bucks for a whole BUNCH of camping gear.

But it can't be a "loose association". We need cubic feet and a formal
organization to approach EAA with this request. I'm willing to be the EAA
conduit, but you all have to form the association and request a specific
amount of cubic feet of storage. A couple of rules:

1. If you aren't there the next year, your stuff is either discarded or
taken home by other members.

2. Somebody HAS to be there the day before the show to tell the EAA
forklift operator where to dump the stuff.

Jim

Old August 12th 05, 06:46 AM
Morgans

"John Clear" wrote

Why build them?

There are companies that bring portable storage units to you, and then
store them away for you.

I see these things URL:http://www.pods.com/about/features.aspx all
over the local (NoCal) area. A two car garage isn't enough to hold
all the junk I guess. I'm sure there is something similar around
OSH. If not, you can always rent a shipping container.

It would have to be climate controlled. I don't know if the pods are stored
with heat and AC. Otherwise, tents and sleeping bags and stuff would all
stink.

I think there would be a problem with bringing pods on trucks down the
airplane parking rows at OSH. Problem? No problem, they wouldn't let them.
Jim in NC

Old August 12th 05, 06:53 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Wow, that's almost creepy, Jim. Mary and I were just talking about how
great it would be if someone would build a gazillion of those stupid

storage
units (basically glorified miniature garages) on Wittman Field.

I'm sure hundreds (thousands?) of us would rent them for the whole year,
just so we'd have a place to store all the stuff we bring to (and from)

OSH
each year.

I'm surprised EAA hasn't jumped on this as a money-making proposition.

Yeah, it would be great. Shoot, a 5' x 5' x 8' tall would be more than
enough room for a few couples.

The thing "I" see as a problem is the EAA's not wanting permanent building
on the field. I don't know why, for sure.

The Aviation Explorers wanted to build a permanent kitchen building on their
base. The base is not used by anyone else, the whole year, but still they
said everything had to be moveable. So they built a building that "could"
be picked up by a mover, and moved. Same problem with a permanent shower
building. We have to walk down to the Warbirds shower building.

Speaking of permanent, what happened to the new control tower that was
supposed to be built? They broke ground for it last year, IIRC.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 12th 05, 08:09 AM
Hilton

Tont wrote:
Regarding the South Africa party, on Friday night as I walked back to camp

heard music off in the distance and figured someone must have had karaoke
set up or something. ...They had an amplifier and were blasting the live
music. A short ways away they had a bonfire going and a massive BBQ.

If it was truely a South African party, it would have been a massive braai
(not BBQ).

Braai is pronounced "bri" where the "i" sounds like the "I" in "I am at
Oshkosh".

Hilton

Old August 12th 05, 08:21 AM

Hilton pointed out:
If it was truely a South African party, it would have been a massive braai
(not BBQ).

Braai is pronounced "bri" where the "i" sounds like the "I" in "I am at
Oshkosh".

Hilton

Okay, okay, it was a braai! Maybe I should have let someone else explain the
party... :-P .... By next year I'll know everything there is to know about
the party.

It *was* as a massive BBQ, and they sure seemed to be South African, so
let's go with braai.

-Tony Goetz

Old August 12th 05, 02:13 PM
John T

(scrambling to discover how to turn old walmart into storage units...)

Old August 12th 05, 02:18 PM
John T

small story...this year as the South Africans were setting up, we were
driving by as they were dumping stuff out of their storage shed.
One guy took the rolled up American flag and tossed it on the ground...I
saw it happened and I blew up! I yelled at the guy to pick it up, but I
guess he didn't understand me so I got out and picked up the flag and
leaned it against some other stuff off the ground, with a really angry
expression on my face. I think they got the message.

John

Oshkosh 2005 pictures up Home Built 4 August 11th 05 08:24 AM
Oshkosh Pictures Marv Home Built 2 August 2nd 05 01:14 AM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Home Built 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Owning 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM