Structural adhesive question

Old August 3rd 03, 02:04 AM
BD5ER

Default Structural adhesive question

I'm looking for someone that has used the adhesive I just did to tell me if I
got hosed again by AS+S.

What I ordered was the "all-purpose structural adhesive" part #9921 (fast, 35
min.) that the catalogue says is made by Hexcel and is mixed 1 to 1.

What I got has the right part number, but is something called Magnobond
2014-1/249-2. Since these companies keep changing their names and ownership
that wasn't much of a problem but this stuff came in 2 different quantities for
the A + B parts. Sure enough the directions on the bottle say to mix 2/1. So
I got out the old horse syringes and mixed up a batch and pasted on the parts I
wanted to set quick.

Well it's been 2 hours @ 80+ in the shop and it's still "gooey"

Anybody used this stuff? Is this normal for this "fast" structural adhesive?

The last batch of this stuff I got mixed 1-1 and worked just fine but it's out
of date so I though a fresh batch was in order for this kind of critical job.
If I have to scrape all this crud off and make new parts I'm going to be in
worse than my normal grumpy mood.
Old August 3rd 03, 06:03 AM
BD5ER

Thanks for the link.

I find it interesting that the only real physical parameter they list is the
thickness limitation of 1/2". Kind of looks to me like this might be a low
cost "junk" resin intended for general use.

Leave it to AS+S (maybe I should leave out the +) to substitute something as
sensetive as a structural adhesive and not even tell you.

The poor "gel" time compared to the original product, which is still described
on their web site, pretty much cost me a day of work. And that's if the stuff
turns out to be acceptable after calling the company in the AM Monday to get
some specs........

'course the fault is all mine to expect them to get an order filled complete
and correct (they didn't), and for using an unknown product without double
checking.

That says that it has a "pot life" of 28-38 minutes, and a "set time" of 12
hours.
Since it hasn't been 12 hours, I wouldn't panic yet.