Why is Soaring declining

Old April 16th 04, 05:15 PM
Vorsanger1

Another target market, which I do not believe is being exploited / sollicited
are skiers. Come April /May (at least in Southern California) the local ski
slopes are closed. In the Sierras, Mammoth might still be operating but only
until early July, and it is 6 to 7 hours away. Besides, at $50 or so for a
lift ticket per day, soaring might still be as "affordable" as skiing, once the
investment for lessons is absorbed.

How does one connect with the skiers ?

Cheers, Charles
Old April 16th 04, 05:46 PM
Bill Daniels

"Shawn Curry" wrote in message
Liam Finley wrote:

snip

I think the elitism problem is largely an urban myth.

It's all too easy for unsuccesful pilots to blame elitism rather than
take a hard look at their own lack of skill, ability or perserverence.

Stop! There it is-
"Skill, ability, and perseverance."
This is supposed to be a fun recreational activity/hobby/sport, yet it
requires "skill, ability, and perseverance".
That's a lot to ask. That sounds more like the military or marriage
than a fun recreational activity. Any sport or hobby will benefit from
skill, ability, and perseverance, but ours demands it as an entry fee.
Don't get me wrong, I think that's OK. A lot of people looking for long
term reward in a new activity may seek out such demands rather than "Buy
a bigger, better X, Y or Z. Have more fun!" or "more megapixels makes
you a better photographer". We could promote that. "Soaring is more
than a trip to the mall" or whatever.
This sort of demand takes physical and emotional energy. If that's an
expectation when you begin in soaring, you'll be better prepared.
Someone in another post noted that the BGA (IIRC) is great at getting
new members but terrible at keeping them. Part of that is certainly
skill, ability, and perseverance. If people know this is part of the
package up front, or have been lured in because of it, retention of
those new members will increase.
I having these qualities is elitism, well that can be used to our
benefit too.

Shawn

I was once asked by a group of associates how hard it was to learn to land
an airplane. I thought a moment as I framed an answer that would make sense
to these non-pilots - perhaps even encourage them to try it.

Finally, thinking I had a good analogy, I said, "It's about as hard as
parallel parking a car." Disappointment flashed across their faces. "Oh",
they said as a group, "that's pretty hard". They wandered away with their
interest in aviation extinguished.

I can only reflect that aviation as a whole dodged several bullets that
morning. From time to time aviation has caught the public fancy and the
result has always been a flood of fatal accidents and higher costs for the
rest of us as a liability costs soared for anyone connected with aviation.

Soaring does take "skill, ability, and perseverance." as well as other rare
traits. Maybe that makes it "elitist" - if so, so be it. Maybe we should
take a cue from the US Marine Corp Recruiters and look for a "Few Good Men
and Women". Soaring will never be "everymans" hobby.

Bill Daniels

Old May 7th 04, 12:19 AM
Mike Borgelt

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:46:48 GMT, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

Soaring does take "skill, ability, and perseverance." as well as other rare
traits. Maybe that makes it "elitist" - if so, so be it. Maybe we should
take a cue from the US Marine Corp Recruiters and look for a "Few Good Men
and Women". Soaring will never be "everymans" hobby.

Bill Daniels

Bill,

As usual much, good sense here.

In Australia the GFA (Gliding Federation of Australia) promotes
soaring as being safe, cheap and suitable for anyone.
Is it any wonder the retention rate is pathetic when people find out
it is none of these?

Mike Borgelt
Old May 7th 04, 07:01 AM
Liam Finley

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message news:Y5Ufc.153537$K91.405035@attbi_s02...
traits. Maybe that makes it "elitist" - if so, so be it. Maybe we should
take a cue from the US Marine Corp Recruiters and look for a "Few Good Men
and Women". Soaring will never be "everymans" hobby.

Bill Daniels

Better to recruit one good pilot than ten Lennies who wash out and
then spend the rest of their lives whining about it.
Old April 16th 04, 05:57 PM
Chris Rollings

We had that idea back around 1990. My Club (Booker,
UK) took a stand at the London Ski Show, with a view
to selling trial lessons, introductory courses or just
creat an interest in Gliding/Soaring. We had video,
posters etc on a stand that was manned the whole time.
The show was very well attended and we talked to a
lot of people, but only sold a two or three of trial
lessons in (I think) three days. There was no detectable
long term feedback either.

Old April 16th 04, 06:03 PM
BllFs6

Great Idea but needs modification...

Set up at major college spring break area...offer cheap and/or free food and
beer for students AFTER the flight...

Youll have PLENTY of ride takers then

take care

Blll

PS...im only half joking about this....
Old April 16th 04, 11:40 PM
Lennie the Lurker

Shawn Curry wrote in message news:GVSfc.153187$K91.403198@attbi_s02...

I having these qualities is elitism, well that can be used to our
benefit too.

Elitism is thinking wrongly that soaring is the only thing that
requires them. Many other activities require them in far greater
amounts.
Old April 16th 04, 11:48 PM
Shawn Curry

Lennie the Lurker wrote:
Shawn Curry wrote in message news:GVSfc.153187$K91.403198@attbi_s02...

If having these qualities is elitism, well that can be used to our
benefit too.

Elitism is thinking wrongly that soaring is the only thing that
requires them. Many other activities require them in far greater
amounts.

Never claimed to think that. Didn't read it here either.
Many activities only require a Visa card. Maybe its not milling a new
u-joint, or receiver for an M1 ;-), but soaring takes more effort than
reaching into your wallet at the mall.

Shawn
Old April 17th 04, 04:27 PM
Ian Johnston

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:25:26 UTC, Shawn Curry
wrote:

: Liam Finley wrote:
:
: snip
:
: I think the elitism problem is largely an urban myth.
:
: It's all too easy for unsuccesful pilots to blame elitism rather than
: take a hard look at their own lack of skill, ability or perserverence.
:
: Stop! There it is-
: "Skill, ability, and perseverance."
: This is supposed to be a fun recreational activity/hobby/sport, yet it
: requires "skill, ability, and perseverance".

Most of the snide remarks aimed tend to come, in my experience, for
those who have subsituted cash for "skill. ability and perseverance"
and mistake the results for "success".

Ian