Carrying glasses?

Old September 4th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Carrying glasses?

Someone told me a while ago that if you have a "must wear corrective
lenses" restriction on your medical and wear contacts, that you have to
carry a pair of regular glasses while flying. Is that true? And if so,
does anyone have a reference?
Old September 4th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Someone told me a while ago that if you have a "must wear corrective lenses" restriction on your medical and wear contacts, that you have to carry a pair of regular glasses while flying. Is that true? And if so, does anyone have a reference?

I believe it is not true, and I have an (old) medical certificate that
has "must wear corrective lenses and carry second pair in flight". The
latter part is not on my present medical.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 4th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Jose wrote:

I believe it is not true, and I have an (old) medical certificate that
has "must wear corrective lenses and carry second pair in flight". The
latter part is not on my present medical.

it was mentioned on my British and then JAR medical certificate; but
not on the FAA one.

--Sylvain
Old September 5th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Emily wrote:

Someone told me a while ago that if you have a "must wear corrective
lenses" restriction on your medical and wear contacts, that you have to
carry a pair of regular glasses while flying. Is that true? And if so,
does anyone have a reference?

fwiw - my original medical certificate (1987) had words to the effect
of wearing corrective lenses and possess glasses to correct for near
vision or some such. My current medical has the limitation "Holder shall
wear correcting lenses while exercising the privileges of his airman
certificate."

I sure hope I don't need to also carry glasses. I think I've flown
exactly once wearing glasses in more than 19 years.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 5th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

Nope... not true.

Jon Kruas
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

Old September 5th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

It is not true, but I carry one anyway. Contact lenses can dry out or a
foreign object can get stuck. If something like that happens, I will
take the lenses out, throw it away and wear the regular glasses. It
would be very difficult to attempt to wet the lens and put it back into
the eye while flying.

Old September 5th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
It is not true, but I carry one anyway. Contact lenses can dry out or a
foreign object can get stuck. If something like that happens, I will
take the lenses out, throw it away and wear the regular glasses. It
would be very difficult to attempt to wet the lens and put it back into
the eye while flying.

I learned that it's even harder for me to land while wearing glasses.
Tried one night, and my depth perception was so bad I had to have my
friend land. I got to maybe fifty feet and simply couldn't judge height
anymore and was honestly didn't think I could land.

Guess I don't know what I'd do if I lost a contact.

Old September 5th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Emily wrote:
Someone told me a while ago that if you have a "must wear corrective
lenses" restriction on your medical and wear contacts, that you have to
carry a pair of regular glasses while flying. Is that true? And if so,
does anyone have a reference?

Untrue. Might not be a bad idea.

If HOWEVER, you need close distance correction, you will also have an
endorsement that says "must possess corrective lenses..." You can't
use monovision contacts either.
Old September 5th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I learned that it's even harder for me to land while wearing glasses.

I land with glasses all the time. I'd find it hard to land without
them. It's probably worth practicing.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.