New 7 part personal soaring movie in Utah

Old February 23rd 05, 05:38 PM
Bruno

Default New 7 part personal soaring movie in Utah

I am amazed that more people don't film their flights and share them
with others. Yes, it leaves you open to criticism - I know my yaw
string isn't straight a lot of the time. If people had any idea what
we experience up there, we'd have quite a few more friends soaring with
us.

The links to the videos are on my homepage (I hope you have a fast
internet connection).
http://phoebus.vassel.com

Hope you all enjoy!
Bruno

Old February 23rd 05, 08:36 PM

You shouldn't be amazed ... there's enough to think and worry about
already when soaring; adding and operating a video camera to the mix is
probably too much to make it worthwhile for your average pilot.

Then there is the logistical problem of where to put the camera. Looks
like you had yours side-mounted on a skiing helmet like the skydiving
videographers do.

Videotaping a flight is something I'd love to be able to do, but
because of tape length/storage and power limitations, I would need to
turn the camera on and off periodically, to get 1 or 2 hours of footage
from a 3 to 6 hour flight. And I would want the camera mounted
somewhere besides my head for that duration (especially when it's time
to start using the O2)...

Old February 23rd 05, 09:16 PM
Bruno

Then there is the logistical problem of where to put the camera.
Looks
like you had yours side-mounted on a skiing helmet like the skydiving
videographers do.

Thanks for the response. Actually I just held the camera with my left
hand and rested it on my right shoulder. It is more comfortable than
it sounds and helps to stabalize the video camera a little bit. When I
am not using the camera I just put it on my lap. Works ok.

I've already gotten a few flying tips from some people. Thanks! I can
use all I can get.

Bruno

Old February 24th 05, 07:39 AM
Mark James Boyd

There is an SSA Director who runs a commercial glider operation who
videotapes landings and coaches even experienced pilots using this
tape. This person says it works pretty good for the coaching,
especially since some of the pilots with 25+ years in the same
glider get enough lift they only launch maybe a dozen or so times a year
for the exceptional days, so they don't do a lot of landing practice.

I've taped landings, and have a treasured tape of a very elegant
ground loop, wings level the whole time, where the 180 set the
guy up for tow out in the opposite direction. I'd heard of this done
in Hawaii on purpose before, but even after watching the tape, I don't
think I could make it happen myself

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old February 24th 05, 07:41 AM
Mark James Boyd

I've videotaped both from tripod on the ground and while riding in a
second seat, but never solo from inside the cockpit. Hmmm...
I don't think I'd try that.

Old February 24th 05, 05:10 PM

With the Sierra Soaring Club's 1-35 we have a metal camera mount that
we have attached to the canopy rail with a couple of sheet metal
screws. That way the camera is hands free while we fly. The problem
is that it is mounted on the left side and I usually don't have as good
of view out of the camera as I saw on these videos. I really enjoyed
these videos. I was born in Provo and I graduated from BYU prior to
moving to California so it was neat to see video from a flight in this
area.

Alex

Old February 24th 05, 07:25 PM
Waduino

Thanks very much for sharing these. As a low hours pilot it is a treat to
watch a flight like this, especially since there are no mountains or ridges
where I fly.
Wad.
---

oups.com...

Old February 25th 05, 08:43 PM
Brian Glick

One of the more amazing pieces of film recently made on gliding is called "A
fine week in soaring" If you have not seen it, you should!!!!

oups.com...

Old February 25th 05, 10:42 PM
Gary Boggs

We are working on one for the Willamette Valley here in Oregon, USA.

We're going to call it "We're fine with weak soaring."

:^)

One of the more amazing pieces of film recently made on gliding is called
"A
fine week of soaring" If you have not seen it, you should!!!!

Old March 24th 05, 03:35 PM
Bruno

Mark James Boyd wrote:
I've videotaped both from tripod on the ground and while riding in a
second seat, but never solo from inside the cockpit. Hmmm...
I don't think I'd try that.

After thinking about the safety aspects of trying to ridge soar and
video at the same time, I think you are right about filming solo. I
built a camera mount just to the side and behind me so I don't have to
worry about it. Thanks for the thoughts.

Bruno