USA: Places to get tows in ID, OR and WA

Old January 24th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default USA: Places to get tows in ID, OR and WA

The SSA "Where to Fly" feature shows Bend and North Plains in Oregon,
Evergreen, Enumclaw, Wenatchee, Ephrata and Spokane in WA, and nothing
in southern Idaho.

Are any of these operations private clubs, or closed during the week in
the summer?

Are there any everyday tow operations not listed? (I note that neither
Parowan, UT nor Ely, NV are shown, and both have recently hosted
sanctioned SSA contests.)

~ted/2NO

Old January 24th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can find tows usually in the following location if you contact the
right people:

Idaho

Nampa and Driggs

Utah
From north to south:

Logan (year round)
Morgan (March - October/November)
Heber (May-October)
Cedar Valley (April/May -October)
Parowan (mostly April to October, but by arrangement as well). I took
the first one last year in March for a four hour cross-country.

If no one gives SSA the data it is not there. Also SSA for years would
only list official sites (clubs or commercial members); they have
changed in the last year to realize that promoting soaring is first and
promoting SSA is second. A good change in my opinion.

Tim

Old January 24th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Places to get tows in ID, OR and WA

I'm not on that page yet: http://www.nwskysports.com/

I'm located in Hood River, Oregon. I also belong to the two clubs here in
Oregon and they are both great operations. Details on days and months of
operation are on the where to fly site on the SSA page.
http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

Gary Boggs

oups.com...

Old January 24th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If no one gives SSA the data it is not there. Also SSA for years would
only list official sites (clubs or commercial members); they have
changed in the last year to realize that promoting soaring is first and
promoting SSA is second. A good change in my opinion.

Tim

Are you sure that the SSA made that change? I believe the SSA still
only lists sites that have an affiliation with the SSA. A big mistake,
I believe, as it hurts SSA members looking for places to go soaring, as
well as hurts the operators at those sites, and that hurts soaring.
Old January 24th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
The SSA "Where to Fly" feature shows Bend and North Plains in Oregon,
Evergreen, Enumclaw, Wenatchee, Ephrata and Spokane in WA, and nothing
in southern Idaho.

Are any of these operations private clubs, or closed during the week in
the summer?

Are there any everyday tow operations not listed? (I note that neither
Parowan, UT nor Ely, NV are shown, and both have recently hosted
sanctioned SSA contests.)

~ted/2NO

As Tim from UT suggested about getting in touch with the right people,
I think I can answer your questions.

In southern Idaho you only have a couple of options. We fly out of
Nampa, ID which is just west of Boise. There are 5 of us and we have
our own tow plane and fly when it it soarable. This is not a
commercial operation so you are a little bit at the whim of the weather
and if we are flying. I can be reached at:

208-376-6718 home
208-867-6953 cell
There is a commercial operation in Driggs, ID which is on the extreem
eastern side of the state at the base of the Teton Mountains. They are
not a SSA member and are really into giving rides. Tows are available
with rides, instruction, other things being the priority but still
available. Make sure you take proof of insurance, BFR, sailplane
annual inspectionand your pilot's log book as these documents are
required before they will tow you. Call first.

Please contact me if you need more info.

Tom Dixon
Idaho

Old January 26th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom,

Has Snake River Soaring Club ramped up yet?

Frank Whiteley
Colorado