NetJets Layoff

Old July 8th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default NetJets Layoff

Huh, that's strange; we had two claims against our car insurance last
year, and it went *down* this year (same carrier and agent, same
policy, same car, no change in coverages). As usual, the real world
isn't as simple as some people like to think.

Insurance premiums vary depending on the return on investment of the
premiums dollars and the claims losses.
Old July 8th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

-- and I'm STILL paying for it in the form of higher unemployment
taxes, four years later.

The system sucks. (I can tell you many more examples of acquaintances
who have scammed the unemployment system over the years...)

I had one employee file on me, but I beat it.

An acquaintance needed some extra help on a big job, and things were slowing
down for me at the moment, so I told him he could employ two of my
employees, until his job was done.

Fast forward a month or so, and I called to see when they were going to be
back with me. He then informed me that he had decided to stay on with the
new guy, my former acquaintance, but nobody had gotten around to telling me.

Fast forward close to a year, and I get notice that he is filing for
unemployment. Turns out the new employer laid him off. I don't think the
other guy was above the table and paying unemployment, so he thought he
could come after me. I sent a letter, and I got an appointment for a
"telephone conference call hearing". The "judge" listened to both sides,
and said, "Thank you, I have what I need, and I'll be in touch." I later
got a letter releasing me of the obligation to pay.

One of the few times anything in court has gone my way.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 8th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David Dyer-Bennet

Matt Whiting writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

writes:

All I can really say is the government or taxpayers have yet to pay any
unemployment for my employees. The business pays premiums for
unemployment benefits. Like any other form of insurance, if you have
claims made against the policy, the premiums go up.

You don't need to be an economist to understand this.

Huh, that's strange; we had two claims against our car insurance last
year, and it went *down* this year (same carrier and agent, same
policy, same car, no change in coverages). As usual, the real world
isn't as simple as some people like to think.

Yes, the real world isn't always logical. Were the claims your fault?

Nope, clearly not (in the first case the car was legally parked when
someone backed into it; in the second someone ran a red light and hit
the rear quarter and *then* drove off, but got caught). And of course
that's a big part of the reason the rates didn't go up.

And in fact it *does* seem logical to me that claims not my fault are
less likely to bump my rates.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old July 8th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No. I've never had to lay anyone off. One time I had an employee quit
and later file for unemployment. I called her to ask what was going
on, since she had quit to change jobs. She said the job fell through,
and was too embarassed to ask for her old job. I hired her back.

Matt Whiting wrote:
wrote:

How can I argue with someone who believes he knows not only the details
of a 12+ page separation agreement without seeing it, but also my
business strengths and weaknesses without even knowing who I am or what
I do? ;-)

All I can really say is the government or taxpayers have yet to pay any
unemployment for my employees.

So your customers are all folks outside the US or tax evaders?

Matt

Old July 8th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

OK.. Let's say they *typically* go up after a claim, or a succession of
claims like NetJets is going to have. My point was that unemployment
is not an unfunded entitlement like welfare. Employers pay premiums to
offset the amounts that are paid out.

Before I was suggesting I wouldn't mind hearing NetJets side of the
story, but I found out they also laid off their PR Director -- er
wait.. Maybe that was another voluntary resignation too.

Old July 8th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

And in fact it *does* seem logical to me that claims not my fault are
less likely to bump my rates.

With State Farm if you have an accident that is the other guys fault and
he has no insurance or not enough you use your collision to cover it.
State Farm pays to fix your car and then goes after the other guy. You
get the first dollars they collect to offset your deductible. If they
come up short they eat it. Does not affect your rates. Other companies
no doubt do this as well, but not all.
Old July 9th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David Dyer-Bennet

Newps writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

And in fact it *does* seem logical to me that claims not my fault are
less likely to bump my rates.

With State Farm if you have an accident that is the other guys fault
and he has no insurance or not enough you use your collision to cover
it. State Farm pays to fix your car and then goes after the other guy.
You get the first dollars they collect to offset your deductible. If
they come up short they eat it. Does not affect your rates. Other
companies no doubt do this as well, but not all.

Depends on state law, too, but I'm in Minnesota, where "uninsured
motorist" coverage is explicitly required, and hence universally
bought (by people who are insured at all, such as myself). And I am
in fact with State Farm (and have been all my time in Minnesota); as
was the driver of the car that backed into mine in the first accident.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old July 9th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

With State Farm if you have an accident that is the other guys fault
and he has no insurance or not enough you use your collision to cover
it. State Farm pays to fix your car and then goes after the other guy.
You get the first dollars they collect to offset your deductible. If
they come up short they eat it. Does not affect your rates. Other
companies no doubt do this as well, but not all.

Depends on state law, too, but I'm in Minnesota, where "uninsured
motorist" coverage is explicitly required,

That's great but that doesn't cover bent sheet metal, only bent humans.